Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm currently using the park4night app , and looked for a place to stay tonight in York. Well the app listed one... did not say much ..just parking authorised for sleeping just pay the fee.
The picture looks like a waitrose store and the sat nav took us to the car park... do waitrose allow you to stay overnight ?
If not anyone rec a good place to stop overnight in York :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No UK supermarkets allow camping officially because they would soon breach the 1960 Act if they did. Waitrose weren't even particularly helpful when I contacted them about daytime parking. See the foot of this page.

EDIT. If you are a C&CC member there is a THS at the rugby club until the end of August and another one at the racecourse in the middle of September.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
No UK supermarkets allow camping officially because they would soon breach the 1960 Act if they did. Waitrose weren't even particularly helpful when I contacted them about daytime parking. See the foot of this page.

Is it not about time the 1960 act was changed to match what is allowed on the continent?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it not about time the 1960 act was changed to match what is allowed on the continent?
Is it? Even if it were there would still be a need for planning permission and investment. Would people be willing to go through that process given the relatively low demand? Would supermarkets be willing to have their customer car parks clogged up with people looking for cheap camping?

It's only theoretical anyway :) No government has shown any interest in making changes and the current one has far more pressing matters on its hands hasn't it? :)

Deleted User
Yes as above its the road way opposite the retail area along the bar walls Foss Island Road. Not sure your officially supposed to be sleeping in the van, but if you're discrete should be ok.
:) the signage shows the payments required.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Cool I'm still in the waitrose car park cooking some chips that we bought from their store.. lol . I'll take a walk across the road and look :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If you are on the W. car park,beware if they have that "Parking Eye" in place.Lots of stores use them,that then distances them from any trouble.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi.
If you are on the W. car park,beware if they have that "Parking Eye" in place.Lots of stores use them,that then distances them from any trouble.
Tea Bag
Yar seen then cameras and signs up with the 2 hrs max at the retail park beside waitrose .. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yar seen then cameras and signs up with the 2 hrs max at the retail park beside waitrose .. :)
You will get an automatic charge if you exceed the two hour limit I fear.

You've got 45 minutes to eat your chips!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Are parking attendants clinically competent to determine whether you are actually sleeping?
They tend not to have to be. Councils tend to use terms within their orders which prohibit habitation of the vehicle in general, such that simply staying in the vehicle rather than parking and leaving it contravenes the prohibition and is liable to a penalty. Those councils which don't have such encompassing terms and experience problems change their orders to do so - or even ban parking by motorhomes completely.
No doubt the people who cause such reactions by flouting the spirit of the order are proud of themselves :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I avoid Council car parks. In my experience councils are mean spirited when writing their rules and byelaws.
In my experience there are far more members of the public with such an attitude, especially when they have to put the interests of the public at large before their own demands :D

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Council rules are often written because of the Gypsy/Traveller problem and are unable to discriminate. (please note use of correct designation for this registered ethnic minority. I have been on the course!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Havant Borough Council motorhome parking... 24hrs.. £6 + £15 = £21.. bargain

this is to encourage motorhomers to stay overnight and spend money locally :rolleyes:

who said CClub sites are expensive.. ?

13892387_10153946422156028_7852982207378498436_n.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Council rules are often written because of the Gypsy/Traveller problem and are unable to discriminate. (please note use of correct designation for this registered ethnic minority. I have been on the course!)
There are some authorities which have introduced height barriers to some car parks because of unauthorised Gypsy/Traveller encampments but they are a minority. There are also some which have introduced height barriers to some car parks because they get clogged up with commercial vehicles, to the detriment of the shoppers/visitors they are intended for.
Most local authorities have no problems with Gypsies/Travellers in their car parks (as opposed to other land) so have no need to make special provision in parking orders.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Havant Borough Council motorhome parking... 24hrs.. £6 + £15 = £21.. bargain

this is to encourage motorhomers to stay overnight and spend money locally :rolleyes:

who said CClub sites are expensive.. ?

View attachment 119600
For whatever reason though, Jim, it appears to be a successful scheme so enough people must be happy with it :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For whatever reason though, Jim, it appears to be a successful scheme so enough people must be happy with it :)

successful .. happy ... based on what evidence.. ?

I defend council decisions when they are fair and equitable.. this is neither ...

In my view, the o/n parking charge is set to discourage not attract motorhomes.. at a time when the car park is most likely to be empty..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I defend council decisions when they are fair and equitable.. this is neither ...

In my view, the o/n parking charge is set to discourage not attract motorhomes.. at a time when the car park is most likely to be empty..
On the basis that they have left the charge as it is for several years and that the recent review has only decided on changes to the actual car park which will be used.
The charge was introduced in the first place because people flouted the restriction on camping in the car parks. The council could have decided to enforce a complete ban but didn't. Now that may not actually be designed to attract motorhomes but the fact that the scheme was put in place indicates it wasn't total discouragement.

All councils have to balance the needs (and wants) of various, often conflicting, sections within society as a whole. The fact that striking such a balance means that some wants (or even needs) are not met doesn't mean there is a lack of fairness or equity.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You will get an automatic charge if you exceed the two hour limit I fear.

You've got 45 minutes to eat your chips!
The waitrose carpark we were in had no parking signs up. But did have a barrier and 2 cameras at the entrance.. we went back there today and as soon as we arrived ( midday ) their car park security came over to us and said he was told we were not allowed to stop..... we just said to him no problem morrisons will take our money..
So don't see how they can auto fine me when they have no signs up.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The waitrose carpark we were in had no parking signs up. But did have a barrier and 2 cameras at the entrance.. we went back there today and as soon as we arrived ( midday ) their car park security came over to us and said he was told we were not allowed to stop..... we just said to him no problem morrisons will take our money..
So don't see how they can auto fine me when they have no signs up.
If there really are no signs you should have a defence but I suspect there are some signs somewhere. A Tesco I know has them fitted quite high up on lamp posts. If you think you did exceed their two hour limit and are still in the area it is worth going back and taking some photographs to show the signs, if they have them, are not visible.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

Based on its very very busy where else can ya tae the ids right on the beach for that price ? I dont use it im too tight but for a night out with grandkids I deffo would

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When Asda, where taken over by Walmart. I collared the manager at the HULL 24hr one. I said, so now you are part of Walmart, Its` OK to overnight in the car park?. He was most indignant, and rejected my request out of hand!. I did think I would write to Walmart!.

For those who are not aware, it is a regular practice and encouraged by Walmart in the USA, the exceptions are a few places where a Local Ordinance prohibits it, (for example one in "down-town" Las Vegas) they reckon they get a deal of extra business this way and often got ours in preference to some of the more "dodgy" camp-grounds!.

As for the UK. they are so far behind the ball they might just as well be in their "own Goal"!. Even the Corrupt EU, manages to provide "Aires" with facilities for overnight stops for a few "E"s. With the exception of a few Publicans who will allow use of their car park, often free, the UK is pretty much "Motor-home Unfriendly". Not helped by the usual Council "jobsworths" either!.

Pete.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the UK is pretty much "Motor-home Unfriendly".

It's not all bad, there are a few glimmers of light at the end of the tunnel.. but I do agree .. rarely a week goes by without reading about one council or another banning motorhomes form parking , installing height barriers or charging exorbitant parking fees..

The latest I read was on FB, Eastbourne are banning motorhomes from parking at the 2016 airshow..The ban was applied by East Sussex County Council as a result of complaints from residents. E.S.C.C has applied for, and been granted a Road Traffic Regulation Order banning motorhomes. They have applied this temporary ban "...with a view to making it permanent."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14589080.No_free_parking_for_Airbourne_this_year/?ref=rss

another example .. in 2015

Motorhomes banned from Cosford Air Show
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/motorhomes-banned-from-cosford-air-show

and last year on Fun.. Eastbourne Airshow

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/airbourne-overnight-parking-at-beachy-head.113924/

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When Asda, where taken over by Walmart. I collared the manager at the HULL 24hr one. I said, so now you are part of Walmart, Its` OK to overnight in the car park?. He was most indignant, and rejected my request out of hand!. I did think I would write to Walmart!.

For those who are not aware, it is a regular practice and encouraged by Walmart in the USA, the exceptions are a few places where a Local Ordinance prohibits it, (for example one in "down-town" Las Vegas) they reckon they get a deal of extra business this way and often got ours in preference to some of the more "dodgy" camp-grounds!.

As for the UK. they are so far behind the ball they might just as well be in their "own Goal"!. Even the Corrupt EU, manages to provide "Aires" with facilities for overnight stops for a few "E"s. With the exception of a few Publicans who will allow use of their car park, often free, the UK is pretty much "Motor-home Unfriendly". Not helped by the usual Council "jobsworths" either!.

Pete.
The reason Asda will not officially allow camping on their car parks is nothing to do with their ownership by Walmart or any American legislation. It is because their car parks are not licensed as caravan sites and they do not wish to break the law.

Publicans who allow use of their car parks without caravan site licences do so either in ignorance of the law or because they don't care about breaking the law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back