Rear overhang length? (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
This may well be a thoroughly dim question and I reckon the answer probably lies somewhere back in the recesses of my maths memory ... When we buy our motorhome, it will be stored at my dad's - how can I figure out whether I can get a MH onto his drive without grounding the rear end.... In order to park there, I need to drive down a steep hill, wide enough for two cars to pass but no more, then make a steep and fairly sharp uphill left turn onto his lane. Is there any way of working it out what the maximum rear overhang could be?

I know twenty-odd years ago he used to take the caravan on there with the aid of a couple of planks of wood to level out the angles but I'd prefer not to have to resort to that after every trip out ...!

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
It's not just the length of the overhang you have to worry about in that situation but the ground clearance at that overhang - some vans are lower than others. Every van is different so you more or less have to measure up the van you are considering.
There is a thread somewhere about a guy who creased the side panels of his van because his towbar grounded.
Remember to err on the safe side - when you see an empty van then that is the best clearance it will ever have - start to fill water, toys and people and that clearance will reduce instantly.
Some people fit extra Air suspension units which allow you to 'pump up' your ride height and therefore increase clearance - but they are not cheap.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

What you refer to is called the departure angle..

Here are some examples....

Link Removed

First thing to do is measure the angle of the the drive.. if it is greater than the departure angle of the proposed vehicle, it will ground.

Bear in mind what the previous poster said about loading

hth

jim

Edit

If you Google ' angle measuring tool' there are some reasonably cheap ones, basically a folding ruler with degrees marked at the hinge with a spirit level built in ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
...............and if you want to know how to work out the ground slope, have a look at the attachment which i've (hopefully) added!:winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Physics , don't ya just love it .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Nope, not even a little bit :Angry::Angry::Angry: :cry::cry:

Well I might, if I hadn't abandoned it with a yell of relief at 14! Along with algebra, which i suspect is also coming into play here - no wonder it's making my head hurt!

Looking at those pictures, I suspect I'm going to have an insurmountable problem - 9 or 10 degrees is nothing compared to the angle of the hill or the angle of the drive alone, and putting the two of them together makes rather a sharp V .... hmmm

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Looking at those pictures, I suspect I'm going to have an insurmountable problem - 9 or 10 degrees is nothing compared to the angle of the hill or the angle of the drive alone, and putting the two of them together makes rather a sharp V .... hmmm

Hi

Have you considered a panel van conversion rather than a coach built ?

A short wheel base Ford or Fiat van would have a greater departure angle ..

failing that... a Unimog expedition camper (pic 4) :Eeek:

jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Zaskar - I think I get that ... but I think my complicating factor is that my ground line won't be straight, if you see what I mean - if my back wheels are still coming down the hill as my front wheels are going up the next one, isn't that going to play havoc with my calculations ...? Sorry - I've no idea here, can you tell :Blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Hi

Have you considered a panel van conversion rather than a coach built ?

A short wheel base Ford or Fiat van would have a greater departure angle ..

failing that... a Unimog expedition camper (pic 4) :Eeek:

jim

Oh, is that what the last one is? It's a funky bit of kit, isn't it!

Yep, perhaps I'm going to have to have a re-think about storage (or just move house ourselves!). Our plans were for something six berth - hence the appeal of coachbuilt.

Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Zaskar - I think I get that ... but I think my complicating factor is that my ground line won't be straight, if you see what I mean - if my back wheels are still coming down the hill as my front wheels are going up the next one, isn't that going to play havoc with my calculations ...? Sorry - I've no idea here, can you tell :Blush:

Ahhhhh.......errrrrrrrrrr, double OUCH!!!!!!:Doh:
You're into what effectivly amounts to a compound curve there and really, the only way to sort that out (short of resurecting Einstien!) is to lay it out on CAD.

edit =
actually, thinking on, it's not THAT bad, well not from the calculation point of view anyway, but you (or possibly I) would needfull dimensions of where each "part" of the slope began and ended ( on the "double" slope side) and you'd also have to perform the same calc on the opposite slope as well. That way, you can add the "upward" angle of the opposite slope to the angle of the slope you're coming down!
TBH, from what you've described, I'd hazard a gues and say you're stuffed! :-(
J.C.B anyone? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Ahhhhh.......errrrrrrrrrr, double OUCH!!!!!!:Doh:
You're into what effectivly amounts to a compound curve there and really, the only way to sort that out (short of resurecting Einstien!) is to lay it out on CAD.

Um, to be honest, I have a sneaking feeling I'd find it easier to resurrect Einstein :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (I do like this little laughing man, but he does remind me of Peppa Pig's family all flinging themselves to the floor to laugh - ah, the delights of toddler TV!!)

Ok, perhaps what I'll do instead is just start to look at secure storage .... Thank you for all your help!

Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
At the risk of stating the bl**dy obvious:Blush:, could you not approach the drive from the bottom of the first hill, that way, as you turn in to the driveway, you're already running with the slope?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
I could do with being able to draw a picture, I think ... The road hill is very steep - the sort that bus drivers curse and multi-gear cyclists get off and walk. My dad's lane/drive slope is kind of cambered, so is a gentler angle on its left as you look at it, therefore coming down the hill and turning left into it is relatively easier. The right hand side of his drive is more of a vertical drop than a slope, and I'm not sure there's enough road width to get a van round to get onto the left side. Gosh, that's hard to explain - I have to keep stopping typing to wave my hands around!

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could look at many chassis cabs then get a box to fit may mean shortening the overhang on the chassis. i cut over 3ft off my unit to make it do what i wanted, given what you have said i think you have to think about rearwheel drive . look at iveco daily,s or renault mascotts not masters. (mascotts are rear wheeldrive).you need wheels as far back as you can get them . also right up on the front aswell to help coming out when you turn round. easy sorted with a bit of thought.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Rear overhang

This is fascinating! perhaps a few photos of said area and measurements. Someone might think of a new approach......:clap:

S

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just ask to take the one you want to buy for a test drive and try and park the bloody thing:Doh:

Stop making it so complicated, if it wont go over the hills get a lorry load of stone (cost a couple of hundred quid) dump it in front of the hill and level it out....job done :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Just ask to take the one you want to buy for a test drive and try and park the bloody thing:Doh:

Stop making it so complicated, if it wont go over the hills get a lorry load of stone (cost a couple of hundred quid) dump it in front of the hill and level it out....job done :thumb:

I like this plan :thumb: - not entirely sure what Derbyshire CC will say if I chuck a lorry load of stone across one of their highways but I can always leave my dad to answer them as I live over the border now.... And I'm sure the salesman will be very understanding if I take it back and, instead of explaining why I don't want to buy, simply point to the rear end and start running :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back