Paperwork for uprating m/h weight? (1 Viewer)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have just received from JR Consutancy the necessary letter, Design Weight Certificate & VIN plate to upgrade our m/h.:)

I assume I now need to send these to DVLA along with my existing V5?

Can sombody please tell me where exactly I have to send these at DVLA and if there are any other forms I should send or is the above sufficient.
@Minxy Girl , @Technoor anyone else please.

The service from JR C has been excellent ... only sent him the final information & payment last Friday (5th) and received the documentation this morning (9th)(y)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Just send to DVLA Swansea - it says on the V5
We were advised to send copies only - and an accompanying letter- All went smoothly - hope this helps?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes i was also advised not to send the originals but do get some good copies and send them - had no problems at all, had it all back after about 10 days from DVLA along with a cheque (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have just received from JR Consutancy the necessary letter, Design Weight Certificate & VIN plate to upgrade our m/h.:)

I assume I now need to send these to DVLA along with my existing V5?

Can sombody please tell me where exactly I have to send these at DVLA and if there are any other forms I should send or is the above sufficient.
@Minxy Girl , @Technoor anyone else please.

The service from JR C has been excellent ... only sent him the final information & payment last Friday (5th) and received the documentation this morning (9th)(y)
Fill in page 2 of the V5C with the changes.
Photocopy JRC paperwork as stated.
Keep the design weight certificate safe with your travel documents.
Send the V5C away along with copies of the cover letter & DWC
Currently they are taking 4 weeks

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks everyone for the swift replies ... all done now and ready to post later today.:D

P.S. ..... and thanks to all for the reccommendation of JRC.(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I sent mine to the HGV Team Ellipse (also at DVLA), as I wanted them to update the DWC, which they issued me in 2010. The one from JR.C is pants, and has nothing official looking about it. :(

Less hassle, less cost & more efficient(y)
Hear hear Brian. (y)
And if we had all done it when @Minxy Girl (Mel) first told us about the service, (myself included) it would have been about half the price again. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I sent mine to the HGV Team Ellipse (also at DVLA), as I wanted them to update the DWC, which they issued me in 2010. The one from JR.C is pants, and has nothing official looking about it. :(
Doesn't atter what it looks like, so long as it's legit the DVLA will accept it, which they did.

What IS important is to make sure when you get the new V5C back that both the Revenue Weight and Max. Permissible Mass both have the new MTPLM on. (y)

Hear hear Brian. (y)
And if we had all done it when @Minxy Girl (Mel) first told us about the service, (myself included) it would have been about half the price again. :LOL:
Yup, I only paid £76 .... BUT I did do a lot of work/research for it initially! :D

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
What is needed to uprate the weight?
Tyres, shocks, air suspension or is it possible to uprate without having to make any alterations?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What is needed to uprate the weight?
Tyres, shocks, air suspension or is it possible to uprate without having to make any alterations?
Any all or non of that. It depends what your plate says now and how much it is within what its capable of on the V5C

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Doesn't atter what it looks like, so long as it's legit the DVLA will accept it, which they did.

What IS important is to make sure when you get the new V5C back that both the Revenue Weight and Max. Permissible Mass both have the new MTPLM on. (y)
Yes Mel, I know all that, having been there and done all it by myself before, albeit with the help of my friendly local VOSA engineering inspector (no longer about :( ).

It is my own personal choice to pay the £27 for the DVSA Design Weight Certificate, ie, the one with a recorded Seriel No, and an official stamp with HM's Government Trademark Crown on it, and not some "Mickey Mouse" looking thing, which looks like something anyone with a PC and printer could have produced. :(

Cheers,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is my own personal choice to pay the £27 for the DVSA Design Weight Certificate, ie, the one with a recorded Seriel No, and an official stamp with HM's Government Trademark Crown on it, and not some "Mickey Mouse" looking thing, which looks like something anyone with a PC and printer could have produced. :(

Cheers,

From my recollection the SVTech one was nothing more than a piece of paper. At least JR laminated his :LOL:

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I to have used JRC and yes the sticker is not like the real thing but as long ad its legal,which it is as I have just got a letter back from DVLA stating all is ok.
Only problem is now they have sent V5 back with yet another bloody form, V70 to fill in so I presume this has been the case with other applicants which I can't recall seeing from other but I may have missed. The V70 is because the tax above 3500kg is cheaper so I just thought new V5 and refund? But of course that would be to easy!!
Ray

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We sent our svtec forms off to DVLA a few weeks ago, together with a letter explaining that they issued the V5 incorrectly showing that the van had two axles and not 3. They refused our application to upgrade the weight and asked us for proof of the rebuild, before and after!! Has anyone ever added an axle to their motorhome!?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You'd think that one department in DVLA would communicate with another................but sadly no. :(

Their HGV Team Ellipse have processed my application for an updated design weight certificate (to replace the last one they issued), and will return my V5 with all the relevant paperwork I sent them.................instead of passing it on to the department at their location, which deals with updating and replacing the V5.

So, I'll send it all off again by recorded delivery, and that'll be another month the V5 will be floating about the great office block known as DVLA, until it is processed and returned. That's providing they don't lose it. :(

BTW, when I checked the Royal Mail tracking number for the posting of the V5 on 1st August, there was a clear signature for receipt dated 2nd August, so I knew they had received it. They just hadn't processed it, before me phoning them today. :( Progress my ar#e.
When we had local offices, things were either done immediately, or within a few days.

Cheers,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why can't you do it yourself?

colyboy
I assume you're talking about doing the uprating without using an engineer to provide the 'weight upgrade' paperwork? As you need someone qualified to be able to confirm that the vehicle is able to safely go up to the new weight and what maximum that new weight can be, the powers that be will only recognise this information from a handful of companies - they provided me with a list of those, and when I contact them companies they all recommended I contact JR Consultancy as the man who could do it.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Their HGV Team Ellipse have processed my application for an updated design weight certificate (to replace the last one they issued), and will return my V5 with all the relevant paperwork I sent them.................instead of passing it on to the department at their location, which deals with updating and replacing the V5.
:doh::swear2: I feel for you Jock, it's so frustrating with the wasted time and postage.

Interesting to note that they do at least sign for recorded mail and my informant got it wrong.

Enjoy your Welsh trip and don't go upsetting DVLA while you are there!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suspect the reasons it has to be returned to you Jock rather than just passing it on is that you have to firstly check it is exactly what you want and secondly decide if you want to go ahead and get your V5C changed to the new weight straight away - there may be a reason why the vehicle owner may not want this done immediately.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Our latest saga with DVLA is that one department knows we have a current MOT and one doesn't.

I had to tax the van yesterday and thinking I would have to go to the post office as DVLA show our van as not having a current MOT. I thought I might as well try to tax online before I set to looking for the relevant paperwork. Low and behold I put the 16 digit number in from the reminder letter and it let me tax the van online.

Mind you, they still think we have 2 axles instead of 3!!:doh:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
UPDATE ..... Just checked DVLA website and details now show my moho increased GVW so expect revised V5c in post any day.:Grin:

Of to Warrington now for AS Air suspension and hydraulic leveling jacks.(y)
They did my air suspension, and very good, :)poxy bridge to go under just before the workshop, how much are they charging for self leveling system:)

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
They did my air suspension, and very good, :)poxy bridge to go under just before the workshop, how much are they charging for self leveling system:)
This will be our third motorhome we have fitted with AS Air Suspension and although have looked into other systems still prefer AS and the great service we always get with Phil & Cath.
The level system they fit is the HPC one which I consider to be one of the best although not necessarily the cheapest at just short of £5k on our moho.

If you are seriously interested just give them a call on 01925 740666 for a chat and quote .... you will not be pressured to buy from them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back