Garmin nuvi satnav query (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
hi all
I wondered whether anyone may be able to advise on the following?
(I've tried ringing Garmin support but got bored after 15mins waiting on hold and also emailed them which says they'll reply within 3 working days - but haven't)

I have a garmin nuvi 2598 satnav with lifetime European maps.
It has the latest map downloads/is up to date and has a memory card which is 27% full and 5.1GB available.

Prior to our trip, I tried loading some Aires using their coordinates as custom POI's - all ok for France, but struggled for Belgium as it didn't recognise the coordinates fully or didn't list all street names under a post code.
I selected the nearest place showing and thought I'd just look out for the sign post whilst driving out there.

We arrived at Zeebrugge and the satnav wouldn't pick up any roads and was searching.
I thought maybe it's trying to search for the satellite and would start working soon.
It never did.
The screen showed the main route roads but our icon of where we were was always out of cinq.
We didn't even get close with using it to find our POI's and ended up using a paper map atlas.
As soon as we moved on to France, the satnav sprung into life and started working normally just before Dunkirk at the Belgian/French border.

Same happened on the return leg - as soon as we entered Belgium, it stopped working as should.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their satnav?

With the European mapping being so big, is it a case that you have to manually select an area/region/country that you want?

We're planning another trip next month, so I'd like to try get to the bottom of this to ensure it works as expected.

If Garmin do reply in the meantime, I will post their response on here but any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have lifetime updates are you sure you've selected Belgium in the updates.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
With the European mapping being so big, is it a case that you have to manually select an area/region/country that you want?

That's exactly what I have to do, you have to go into settings and select the country you are in....

Sometimes forget to select England when I come back and it's lost..!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My old Garmin had to be told what country it was in, the new one doesn't. If you select Where to I think you may see an option to change country.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@GAVLAD My old Garmin 2595 always knows which country I am in. Is your firmware up to date? I am using 8.20 but I believe there is a later version 8.40

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Arrived at zeebrugge recently and told the Garmin we were in Belgium and it worked ok. She is still called the bitch as she screws up so many times. I want to download a male voice to overcome this but don't seem able to do so.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Arrived at zeebrugge recently and told the Garmin we were in Belgium and it worked ok. She is still called the bitch as she screws up so many times. I want to download a male voice to overcome this but don't seem able to do so.

Unfortunately loading up a male voice will not make it give you the correct directions....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

:)(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes you have to do the Change Country every time you want to do a "where to " command with an address in a different country from the one currently set. It should work though when you do a "where to" using gps coordinates. I loaded a set of POI onto my Garmin Nuvi before our last trip but I could not find them on the POI section once on the road.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Full Belgium maps are not installed or been used.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks very much to all for replying.
I will take another look when I've got some spare time tomorrow.
I'm tempted to take everything off it and factory reset and start afresh.
I'm not sure what firmware it is but according to garmin express it said that it was up to date.
Will keep you posted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello all,

I've just had a reply from Garmin, who have advised me to a) plug into Garmin Express and ensure that I have the latest maps update (done and I have) and B) try a map reinstall region.
Done the latter and hey presto! it looks to be working.
I've put in the co-ordinates of some places in Belgium and it shows them along with street names and has even done a door to door map route plan.
So i'm back working.

Thank you to everyone who's replied.
I shall keep the emailed response from Garmin incase it's needed in the future.

Thanks again all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back