Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so now out on the road on our 1st outing in our MH and it's clear our tyre pressure are wrong as the rear waste water pipe made contact with the ground when gping 40mph on a road with slight bumps.
On the front of the mh are the original Michelin XC camping tyres 215/70 r15 and then on Friday kwik fit put two Michelin agillis 215/70 r15 cp on the rear . I asked him what pressure he put in them and he said 50 psi .
Well after the rear grounded out I took it to the garage to compare the rear tyre pressures with the front.
The front was 70psi and the rear 50 psi . I inflated the rear to 65 . So below is my axel weights from the weighbridge this morning . Based on that and the make /size of my tyres can someone please tell me what pressures I should have in the tyres.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Michelin say 80psi i have 80psi rear 75psi in front they go up when warm by approx 10psi back and front been using like this since new nearly three years ago, these are straight from MITCHELIN
hope this helps(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ok so now out on the road on our 1st outing in our MH and it's clear our tyre pressure are wrong as the rear waste water pipe made contact with the ground when gping 40mph on a road with slight bumps.

Okay, your tyre pressures are off and if you take the advice offered above that'll sort it out. For the record I run mine at 56 psi front and 65 psi rear.

But tyre pressures shouldn't be the reason the waste pipe hits the ground and from what you say there's clearly something else wrong. Best case, the fixings have broken allowing the pipe to droop, easily rectified. Worst case, vehicle suspension is compressed too much, possibly broken springs - how does the van ride, most have a slightly nose down attitude. Sorry to be alarmist.

Our waste pipe is easily 6 inches above the ground, otherwise I couldn't empty it and your Bessie is the equivalent model to our Swift Bolero.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Michelin say 80psi i have 80psi rear 75psi in front they go up when warm by approx 10psi back and front been using like this since new nearly three years ago, these are straight from MITCHELIN
hope this helps(y)
Doesn't it depend on axle weight though? Can't see that the op posted his axle weights yet.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On the front of the mh are the original Michelin XC camping tyres 215/70 r15 and then on Friday kwik fit put two Michelin agillis 215/70 r15 cp on the rear . I asked him what pressure he put in them and he said 50 psi .
Well after the rear grounded out I took it to the garage to compare the rear tyre pressures with the front.
The front was 70psi and the rear 50 psi . I inflated the rear to 65 . So below is my axel weights from the weighbridge this morning . Based on that and the make /size of my tyres can someone please tell me what pressures I should have in the tyres.

What were your axle weights. I don't see them?

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We ran 70 psi all round on our Fiat but noticed it went up to around 90 psi when the tyres were hot , we put nitrogen in them and the pressure stayed more constant and the tyre walls were a lot cooler .

when we had new tyres fitted they only put 45 psi in the tyres ... it rolled and bounced all over the road and only did just over 20 mpg ,

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I for one, cannot accept that the Michelin "80psi" is correct. How can it be?
We have a variation in types of vehicle ranging from Van conversions weighing in at less than 3000kgs to A Class Gin Palaces weighing in at over 4.5 tonnes with different profiles in the tyres and different load index's and what do Michelin say, "80psi"

I would rather go for the "Axle Weight" system where, the heavier the load, the greater the pressure (to a manufacturers maximum of course)

That's why I run on 54psi front and 65psi rear.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a variation in types of vehicle ranging from Van conversions weighing in at less than 3000kgs to A Class Gin Palaces weighing in at over 4.5 tonnes with different profiles in the tyres and different load index's and what do Michelin say, "80psi"

I would rather go for the "Axle Weight" system where, the heavier the load, the greater the pressure (to a manufacturers maximum of course)

Although we don't use Michelin. . Our continentals are:
Front 1720 45psi
Rear 2220 62psi

Doesn't seem to make sense to be 80 all round... but then again the ops problem may well be suspension anyway.. or overloaded

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome

Just the messenger(n)
If that's what the Tyre manufacturer says then its good enough for me. but you seem to be better informed than I or Michelin, the man asked for advice, and it was given.;)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Michelin always give the rears as 80psi as they are aware that motorhomes are often loaded to the max or over.
It's known as 'watching your back'.
However, they will give the correct pressures for the front if you tell them the axle loading.

Richard.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I have recently installed Tyrepal to monitor the tyre pressures mainly for the toad. As somebody has said i was amazed to see my tyre pressures go up by nearly 10psi after an hours travelling. My manual that came with the van said my tyre pressures should be 72 in the front and 80 in the rear. I lowered the pressure in the front as the ride was really hard. I dropped the pressure down to 65 and the ride was a lot smoother. However the tyre pressures are over inflated when they are hot. Should i put my tyres at the correct pressures when they are hot or cold?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Although we don't use Michelin. . Our continentals are:
Front 1720 45psi
Rear 2220 62psi

Doesn't seem to make sense to be 80 all round... but then again the ops problem may well be suspension anyway.. or overloaded

My novice mate has just bought a 'van with Conti's all round.

He reported to me when he was away that the 'van was skitting all over the place. The dealer said 80psi:eek::eek::eek::eek: and on asking at ATS, they said 70 psi.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

When I saw him I pointed out to him that on the tyre itself it stated max inflation 69psi.
Using this site I was able to tell him what the tyre manufacturer stated, BASED ON AXLE WEIGHTS!!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just the messenger(n)
If that's what the Tyre manufacturer says then its good enough for me. but you seem to be better informed than I or Michelin, the man asked for advice, and it was given.;)

But Michelin themselves say that their Max pressure is 80psi (unless I'm wrong).
How does that stand with the difference in load index, type of vehicle, weight of vehicle.

Look in the appropriate place of any modern car and it will give different tyre pressures dependent on the load to be carried. What is so different about a Motorhome in the same circs.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I run our Exsis 2400 rear 2100 front at 5 bar and 4.5 bar that seems to give a comfortable ride using Micheline Agilis Camper we found the 80psi is a very hard ride.
Of course it depends a lot on loading

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I sent the following note to Michelin last month:

"I have a new camper which is a Fiat Ducato panel van conversion. It is fitted with Michelin 215/70 R15 CP 109Q tyres. The maximun gross vehicle weight is 3,500kg.

I have checked the individual axle loads at a local weighbridge, with the vehicle fully loaded with all passengers, fuel, water, gas, food and personal belongings etc

The front axle weighs: 1,660kg; and the rear axle: 1,620kg.

Please could you advise the minimum tyre pressure (cold) front and back that the vehicle can be operated at?

The ride, as supplied, is harsh and unpleasant.

My previous van was fitted with Continental camping tyres, which could run at much lower pressures and gave a comfortable ride.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards
-------------------------------------
And the reply (which I can't quote in full because there was a note at the bottom saying it should not be copied or disclosed to anyone), included stuff about how wonderful the tyres are and

... suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi.

... front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. ... recommended pressure is 55psi.
----------------------------------------
So as many have observed, Michelin always advise 80 psi on the rear axle regardless, which is way to high as far as I'm concerned.

Why do they do it, one can only surmise it is as a result of guidelines from 'The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation' ETRTO!

The link below is to a document they published in 2014, and on page 46 there is reference to camping tyres for motorhomes.

"Tyres usually fitted to motor-caravans are of a "light commercial (“'C”' or “CP”)" type. CP type-tyres (commercial vehicle tyres for service on motor-caravans) have only been marketed in the last few years. This followed a study which demonstrated, that overloading is generally the main cause of tyre failure, due to the fact that this type of vehicle often carries an excessive or badly distributed load, which, may be higher than that permitted by the load index (LI) of the tyre; usually on tyres fitted to the rear axle."

Details about ETRTO were passed to me by Derek, on the Out and About Live forum, and to whom I'm indebted for the information.

Clearly, Continental take a different view and recommend pressures that are consistent with the tyre type and, importantly, the axle loading. Is the construction of Continental Vanco camping tyres and Michelin Agilis camping tyres so different?

For me the big questions are: what is the legal position running Michelins on less than 80psi on the rear, and what are the insurance implications?

Apologies for the length of this post. Oh, and yes I use Tyrepal for monitoring pressures and temperatures.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
This topic keeps recurring.
The only way to be sure is to weigh each axle and then check one of the many charts on the Internet.
My 215 70 15 cp 109 rated camper van tyres have a maximum load of 1030k each at 80psi (5.5 bar)
When my rear axle was approaching 2000k I changed to 225 section tyres to give me a safety margin. Still at 80psi, for safety, not comfort.
Normal white van tyres with a similar rating will carry the load, but are not designed for camper van conditions.
At 80 psi you need high pressure, metal valves.
Most tyre fitters have no idea of these requirements.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Michelin make the tyres and Michelin give the advice.

Obviously they are stupid and you should take some random advice off the internet.

Me? I called the local RSPCA to see what they advised :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
PS. If you have a crash caused by low tyre pressures, you will be in deep do do.

And how will they decide what pressure Michelin tyres should be? Go on. Have a guess :)

Reactions: DBK
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I run mine with 5 bars in the front and 5.5 in the rear as stated in the hand book and on the inside of the passenger door.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This topic keeps recurring.
The only way to be sure is to weigh each axle and then check one of the many charts on the Internet.
My 215 70 15 cp 109 rated camper van tyres have a maximum load of 1030k each at 80psi (5.5 bar)
When my rear axle was approaching 2000k I changed to 225 section tyres to give me a safety margin. Still at 80psi, for safety, not comfort.
Normal white van tyres with a similar rating will carry the load, but are not designed for camper van conditions.
At 80 psi you need high pressure, metal valves.
Most tyre fitters have no idea of these requirements.
So ypure not checking any chart or with any manufacturer? Or are you using Michelin Tyres.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Seems like a good argument for running continentals.

Martin

Indeed, and I'm seriously considering changing to them, even though the Michelins are brand new. The ride is horrible at 80 psi on the rear.

Strange how the company says the front can run at 56 psi, which is heavier than the rear axle on my van.

The advice I received (and it was exactly the same with the van before last in 2010, which unfortunately came [second-hand] with Michelins) appears to be based on the fact that in their opinion many/most motorhomes run overweight - which is what the individual reply I received indicated. And which in itself of course would be illegal.

The ride quality was transformed in my last van when the tyre pressures were lowered to those recommended by Continental, based on the actual axle weights.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Guys sorry I forgot to put in my axleft weights in the OP as I was posting from my phone , well thats my excuse :)
And Internet been shite ^^
This was weighed Monday morning before the boat
Front : 1580
Rear 1880

Thanks.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Guys sorry I forgot to put in my axleft weights in the OP as I was posting from my phone , well thats my excuse :)
And Internet been shite ^^
This was weighed Monday morning before the boat
Front : 1580
Rear 1880

Thanks.
So .. based on @mikebeaches post with info from Michelin your front tyres should be around 55psi - if you're using the same tyres - (you should obviously check with Michelin)

Edit .. still think theres another issue if you're grounding your waste pipe though.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Dont have Mitch but have Avon and I run mine at
Front 1800kg - 56psi
Rear 1950kg - 62psi
Check with Avon/Cooper for advise
No idea why peeps want to put 80 is seems way too much imho