Revolut Support (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Last week when we were in Italy I went to withdraw some cash from an ATM with my Revolut card, the machine had a senior moment and didn't give me the money but it debited from my Revolut balance.

I immediately sent a message via the support chat on the app. I had a reply within a couple of minutes asking for a few more details. They then had a look into it and replied again to tell me that it was a cock up at the Italian bank end, the money was in a pre authorised ring fence and it would automatically release itself back to me within 10 working days. Fine, no big deal.

This morning it's back in my account, 8 working days later.

This is really just a positive story about Revolut support via the app, they responded instantly, investigated quickly and what they said would happen did happen. Great service. (y)

I've had this happen on occasion in the UK with debit cards. When something goes wrong after a transaction is pre authorised there's absolutely nothing your bank can do about it until the defined period ends so I'm happy with what Revolut told me. The only difference is that with UK transactions they usually release within 5 days instead of 10.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Yes I also had a very quick response from their customer support when we had a refused payment problem with the card on our recent French trip, all sorted very quickly and efficiently. Also now we are back home doing the analysis of our French trip the amount of detail you can refer to for each transaction is very useful. We have been very pleased with how it performed during our 3 month tour. Thanks to the funsters that recommended the card in the first place.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have now used the Revolut card on 3 trips (France and Prague) on the whole it is great, works well, although 50/50 whether accepted in S.France we found, but Prague was fine and Northern and West France was fine.

However we are on our second card in 3 months and not sure if we need to replace again. Initially, we notice a declined transaction appear on the app, which we did not do, so blocked card and ordered a new card on the advice of support, this arrived in 4 days (BTW they now support Wave).

We have just used this new card in Prague for the weekend, arriving home last (Monday) night, Tuesday AM transaction appears on the app for a transaction Cafe Nero at Terminal 3, not us. Contacted support they got back said it was (looks like) a duplicate transaction, so am now having to complete a chargeback form and send that off to them. So we have blocked the card again, and awaiting a refund.

After reading their website in more detail they do state as it is a prepaid Mastercard the same level of fraud checking/protection etc.. is not employed.

So things we have learnt
1. The support is quick but you have to accept their way of working.
2. When not in use block the card, Security fraud checks are not as good as a mainstream card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've never used it for any purchases. I have a Clarity card for that

Mine has only ever been used for cash withdrawals so I guess less scope for issues.

Now there's only about €2 left on it and it will stay like that either until the exchange rate goes up again or until we travel abroad again and need to use it.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Please notice the amount you can withdrawals without transaction charges per month!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Please notice the amount you can withdrawals without transaction charges per month!

2% after £500.

I can live with that, the superior exchange rate compared to every single other possible alternative more than makes up for it (y)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nationwide debit card no charges no limit, same exchange rate (also their CC)
I have the Revolut, both NW Flexyplus cards & Halifax Clarity, so cover for any situation with backups.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nationwide debit card no charges no limit, same exchange rate (also their CC)
I have the Revolut, both NW Flexyplus cards & Halifax Clarity, so cover for any situation with backups.

Sorry but it's not the same exchange rate.

Revolut offer the real time interbank spot rate. There is no other provider anywhere, be it a card provider or a currency exchange, that offers that rate to its retail customers.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try the XE currency App for the exchange rate that H Clarity & NW and Revolut use.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also with a currency card you can buy your Euros whenever you like to take advantage of favourable exchange rates.

The Euros I've been spending for the past month were mostly exchanged with Revolut ages ago at between €1.30 and €1.40 to the £

If someone can suggest any bank that would have matched that rate for transactions processed over the last couple of weeks I'd be most interested - they can have my business

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Try the XE currency App for the exchange rate that H Clarity & NW and Revolut use.

Exactly. Not that anyone should need an app to tell them. This really is basic stuff. It is on all the banks own websites though for anyone who doesn't understand how it works.

NW, Halifax and all the other banks use a rate provided to them by Visa or MasterCard and is a daily rate. It is a retail rate and is only updated every 24 hours at most.

The Interbank Spot Rate which Revolut uses is not the same thing at all. It is the rate that banks use for transactions between themselves. It updates every few seconds.

The £ - € spot rate is always 2-3c better than the best available retail rate.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That's is what the XE is, I got the to know about it from Halifax adviser when I contact the to check what ex rate they are using.
The app update the rates every min.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's is what the XE is, I got the to know about it from Halifax adviser when I contact the to check what ex rate they are using.
The app update the rates every min.

I think either the advisor doesn't understand how the system Halifax uses works or they flat out lied to you.

From the Halifax website, http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#section51412152667750

What exchange rate will I be charged on transactions made abroad using the Clarity Credit Card?

The exchange rate is set by MasterCard and the rate that’s applied to a transaction is the exchange rate on the day of settlement. The day of settlement is the day that MasterCard determines the settlement amount to be exchanged between the acquirer and the issuer. The settlement date is normally different from the date of the actual transaction.

Similar from Nationwide,

We use the Visa Exchange Rate to convert your transaction into sterling. Visa gives us this rate each day.

Advisers and sales people in the high street banks will tell you what they think you want to hear in order to buy their product and if you're trusting enough to accept it then I suppose that's up to you but no high street bank anywhere in the UK offers the spot rate to retail customers.

They rely on people not understanding the difference. I guess you've demonstrated that they're right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back