LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all, Am thinking of thining out the fleet.
At the moment we have the RV with an elderly Panda with Towtal A frame.
Our everyday car is a Isuzu bighorn which I would like an A frame fitted to.
Does anyone tow a large 4X4 as a toad and do you think it makes much difference to the MPG of the RV.
I think the old Cummins will pull it no problem,but am a little concerned if it will stop OK becouse of the reduced braking on the toad,ie-no servo when engine not running.
If this is practical,I will be selling the Panda complete with A frame,so if anyone is interested in it pm me.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bryan tows a car that is almost bigger than his motorhome:Eeek: I'm sure it makes a big difference to MPG but a lot less than if both vehicles were driving:Smile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi we towed our Jeep Grand Cherokee behind our RV on an American A frame and Brake Buddy system. Our RV was a B+ class on a Ford 450 chassis V10 petrol engine and it wasnt a problem at all. Only had to do an emergency stop :Eeek: once and whilst it was a bit scarey everything pulled up in a reasonable amount of space without any dramas and i dont think servo assistance would have made that much difference.

I didnt notice any difference at all in fuel consumption with or without the toad and the flexibility of a large Toad was fantastic. It was also very useful at getting the RV out of a very muddy field when it rained none stop for 3 days. Just hitched up the Jeep to the A frame stuck it in 4WD low and with wifee driving the bus we just drove off the field. We did get a few funny looks mind you :ROFLMAO: but we were the only motorhome that managed to drive off with out getting pulled out by a landrover :thumb:

Have a look on the USA sites Link Removed and see if they do a proper towing kit for the Isuzu. The USA towing systems are simply superb and so easy to use, they make the UK made stuff look like something cobbled together out of my shed!!

We use the Falcon 2 towbar system and can highly recommend it (see link):thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
We fitted Bryans American A frame to his Very large 4x4 and it tows a treat also we conducted a series of brake roller test with and without the engines running and very simular results were obtained without the servo, so max brake effort is hardly effected
I would go the American route if at all posible:thumb:
Geo
PS for the record US RV sites quote about a 1.5 MPG loss when towing, and them boys dont pull Smart Cars

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i wouldnt worry if a truck pulls abig 4 wheeled drawbar trailer its hardly noticable. .you may feel just abit on really steep hills. dont know the weight limit on your aframe i use a intertrade aframe and have pulled bigger loads than the isuzu. they have a 3.500 wt limit. i have pulled most things behind a vw transporter 89 model but never ever thought about wt etc just went and recovered them all with no braked a frame so one with brakes should be a piece of piiii behind your camper. how we never got stopped is beyond me ,never even expected to be stopped was just work. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks to all for the links, will be looking into it when I get back to the UK end of month.
Having looked further into it I think it is feasable,and will able me to get rid of one vehicle. Regards, Dave.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the only trouble i can seeis gross train weight but if i remember you have c+e. i think.i,m sure you can blind em with science if stopped any way. get a 5er then its lovelly.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
the only trouble i can seeis gross train weight but if i remember you have c+e. i think.i,m sure you can blind em with science if stopped any way. get a 5er then its lovelly.
Alo muy luverrrrrr, Looked at 5rs but not allowed to tow me boat behind, so thats out of the question.
The only thing that would realy be best is a 40ft bus conversion with garage for toad, then I could tow the boat as well.
Is there ever a perfect camper???.
Should realy be looking at ways to aquire a showmans licence, then as I get a new toy just tag it on the back:thumb:.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no such thing all a miss . mine is down as a tractor so can pul two unladen tralers if it was heavier and down as a locomotive over 7370kg unladen it could pull three trailers .showman as no more rights than you or me. they might get away with more but then i dont miss much.
you could sell the boat you have n get a rowing boat. and try paddling faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
no such thing all a miss . mine is down as a tractor so can pul two unladen tralers if it was heavier and down as a locomotive over 7370kg unladen it could pull three trailers .showman as no more rights than you or me. they might get away with more but then i dont miss much.
you could sell the boat you have n get a rowing boat. and try paddling faster.
Ah but am sure they would have something to say about a 9mt RV towing a 7.5 mt boat with a 4 mt toad dangling on the back. Try explaining that to some little Hitler on a motorbike that dosn`t speak English. I have enough problems with overlength as it is.
One more thing, there is no facility to book a vehicle towing two trailers on a ferry.:ROFLMAO:
PS, My licence covers me to drive anything with a stearing wheel or handlebars and to my utter amasment I have managed to keep it clean for close on 40 years and I would like to keep it that way.::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so you cant drive a tracklaying vehicle . never mind i sold the tank a few years ago. (ok it was an abbot self propelled gun but it looked like a tank.)as for the ferry dont book just turn up. sure you can talk your way on. ha ha .put the camper on the boat save ferry money.you should be able to go up to 18.75mtr

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Alo muy luverrrrrr, Looked at 5rs but not allowed to tow me boat behind, so thats out of the question.
The only thing that would realy be best is a 40ft bus conversion with garage for toad, then I could tow the boat as well.
Is there ever a perfect camper???.
Should realy be looking at ways to aquire a showmans licence, then as I get a new toy just tag it on the back:thumb:.

you can in americaland Dave...

i dont think you'll have a weight problem ...:thumb:

4X4 and trailer = 6000lbs + 5er =?????lbs behind a pickup:Eeek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkHeSG5LbQ"]YouTube - The Hitch Hog Making a Tight RH Turn[/ame]

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa what do you mean he wont have a weight problem .he,s fatter than me he will have a problem stop trying to make dave feel awkward. i was trying to be nice. ha ha .

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yeh thats what I nead, Ta John, am off to get one.:thumb:
On second thoughts, I could make one outa 2 wheelbarow wheels.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi pappa what do you mean he wont have a weight problem .he,s fatter than me he will have a problem stop trying to make dave feel awkward. i was trying to be nice. ha ha .
Obviously got no mirrors in your house!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dave , sorry cant have them ,or eat garlic,get shot with a silver bullet or have a wooden stake driven through my heart (if i had one). i sleep in a coffin and normally only get up at night . had a pass the other day holiday. did look at some once at a fair looked very slim then and very tall. then i was acosted by a bearded woman. ha ha .cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back