crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
please can anyone recommend a quite out of the way MH site reasonable priced for a long stay near Bilbao, I plan to get out of the UK for most of the Winter Months,

thanks in advance

Crabs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope you realise that that top coast can get rather cold and wet in winter .
inland deep snow . east coast is drier and warmer.
its a shame as that top coast is great but too cold etc for me . have spent lots of winter months along there when younger and surfing was the meaning of the trip. but be warned it can be horrible .

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks for the info, I never spent anytime in Bilbao in the winter months, have to head south of Spain, got any ides that might suit me, wife does not want to come she will fly out now and again while on holiday from work, her broomstick has just had a full service :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
valencia region or murcia . ,alicante area possibly almeria region . all better than the north in winter . its a shame really i do like the north coast its the nicer area of spain just cold /wet in winter.
i find the very south of spain can be windy . and too many tourists . dont actually like benidorm either but go there sometimes to see folk.
might be you will just have to be near an airport when your wife flies in . but remember her arms might ache after that distance.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What sort of things do you want to do to fill your days? Can give us a better idea of where to suggest. You said quiet, how quiet?

Edit
You said quite out of the way, not quiet. Must go to Specsavers! So ... how out of the way do you want?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Calpe just north of Benidorm is a much quieter option. We spend the winter at Almafra near Alfaz which is a quarter of an hour cycle from Benidorm or for a quieter option its the same distance from Albir and a little further to Altir. Spent five winters there and the weather has been great..BUSBY.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Calpe just north of Benidorm is a much quieter option. We spend the winter at Almafra near Alfaz which is a quarter of an hour cycle from Benidorm or for a quieter option its the same distance from Albir and a little further to Altir. Spent five winters there and the weather has been great..BUSBY.

that's sounds like the sort of place BU an suggestions as to a MH place for a long park up, need some reconditions from MH's who have been there, never did any MH before, plenty of European experience from driving all over,

Jumarto, out the way and peaceful quite that sort of thing,

any suggestions don't want to go to Benidorm hilldweller thanks all the same, fine for a day but that's about it for me,

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We live next to Camperstop Sierra Espuña in the Murcia region of Spain. Take a look at my blog on my signature for an insight into the area. It's a quiet camperstop, good for walking and biking or just relaxing. Its definitely not for people who like bars and nightlife. In winter the camperstop has a good mix of people wanting different things There's sometimes a group who arrange a BBQ, for example, and invite all to join in if they wish, but there are no official entertainments organised!!!

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
look nice and peaceful jumartoo problem is I don't have a bike can you ride me around on the handlebars :LOL::LOL:, got a motorbike but its to heavy for the MH
going via Calais all the way down to the area you post, I will put your site on my Favs and maybe get to see you all, I only weigh 13.5 stone I am sure you can cycle me around I am only a I offer all sort of encouragement to peddle faster :):LOL: failing a bike ride are you able to piggyback me around ;) the wife says I am a lazy so and so :whistle:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Look forward to seeing you if you make it.

Will pass on the cycling/handlebar option. I'm less than 8 stone!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've stayed at this place though not in the winter. It is a quiet spot despite being close to the sea front and the facilities were spotless, it is owned by a French couple though they employed a local lady to run reception. The area is mostly residential, though there are a few restaurants. It is within walking distance of supermarkets and you can get the tram at the sea front, Alicante in one direction and a place beginning with a B in the other, can't quite put my finger on the name.....

http://www.camperareacampellobeach.com/

You might be advised to book or at least check on availability as it isn't very big and might get busy in the winter. Not a million miles from the place @jumartoo mentions, so you could visit both for a bit of variety.

Alternatively, for a proper campsite this place is excellent and I met folk who were staying the winter there when we visited one September. It is another small site and is on its own outside the town but it has a little bar and does snacks. It is a long walk into the town so if you wanted to go shopping you would need to take the MH - unless you buy a push bike! http://www.campingbellavista.com/ing/index.asp

@gus-lopez lives near here and may be able to advise on alternatives. If you are there in February Aguilas has one of the best fiestas in Spain apparently. The place is not to be confused with other campsites called bellavista!

Last edited:
OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Look forward to seeing you if you make it.

Will pass on the cycling/handlebar option. I'm less than 8 stone!!!

the wife is 8.5 stone and piggybacks me over 3 miles to town, maybe I can get a skateboard to sit on and you could pull me :D:D

I will remember that VWALAN sounds good to me, do you have a bike I am wondering :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the wife is 8.5 stone and piggybacks me over 3 miles to town, maybe I can get a skateboard to sit on and you could pull me :D:D

I will remember that VWALAN sounds good to me, do you have a bike I am wondering :D
what you need is a chinese dax , two seater monkey bike . only weighs about 80kg . had mine 15 yrs now . never go away with out it . mines 90 cc but you can get bigger or smaller . have had a 50cc it was ok and had a 125cc again ok but i sold them on . just keep the 90cc as it was bought together with my big bike , seems a shame to slpit them up . reg numbers follow .
we could be classed as mean we never use campsites and very rarely even pay for parking . there are loads of places to park every where in the world .

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Reactions: DBK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sure they said quiet and out of the way

Well it's close.

Only Trappist Monks could object to Benidorm.

Anyway, anyone who would consider camping near Bilbao clearly needs a lot of advice.

And where is easier for his beloved wife to fly to !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well it's close.

Only Trappist Monks could object to Benidorm.

Anyway, anyone who would consider camping near Bilbao clearly needs a lot of advice.

And where is easier for his beloved wife to fly to !!
There is something for everyone in Benidorm and the surrounding area,,,beaches,mountains, villages, nightlife, good walking cycling and of course a superb climate in the winter...BUSBY:):):)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but it does flood . and seems to be getting worse for it as well.
i,m sure the water in spain only runs south . ha ha .
the bottom coast gets flooded often as well.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
but it does flood . and seems to be getting worse for it as well.
i,m sure the water in spain only runs south . ha ha .
the bottom coast gets flooded often as well.
Never had heavy rain in the last 5 winters i have been there,,seems to rain more in April,,Not much chance of floods on Almafra.BUSBY.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
benidorn got flooded last winter the camp site or one was really bad.
google and see . yes it was september last year.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
benidorn got flooded last winter the camp site or one was really bad.
google and see . yes it was september last year.
Broken Link Removed
Toretta got flooded not Benidorm,,,I was there from dec to march and it rained once and that was at night. Think Toretta was flooded early oct but ait is in a hole and all the surrounding water channels land up there,,BUSBY.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think som,e other ones as well. i was in spain from begining of nov till end or april and did keep a check on rain etc . we had 5 days with rain but only 3 were bad .
but google benidorm floods its all there . was earlier but have known it at other times . but if you had good weather spot on . thats what we go for .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
think som,e other ones as well. i was in spain from begining of nov till end or april and did keep a check on rain etc . we had 5 days with rain but only 3 were bad .
but google benidorm floods its all there . was earlier but have known it at other times . but if you had good weather spot on . thats what we go for .

I was at Alfaz and can assure you (just looked in my diary ) from Dec 8th 2015 until Feb 14 th 2016 it only rained once ....Out on bikes everyday either to Altir or Albir and Benidorm a couple of times and never got wet,,,,same for last five years. Looking on photos found dates on a couple and it was oct,,,,LUCKY probably,,BUSBY..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back