The logistics of MOT requirements when touring abroad full time (1 Viewer)

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are going to spend the next two to three years touring the continent. Do I have to come back to the UK every year to renew my MOT? Can I have it done on the continent? If I have to come back to the UK, where is the most convenient MOT testing station near the channel tunnel? I will want to have my habitation check done at the same time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you will have to either return to the UK for MOT or register your van in country of residence.
Technically, after 6 uninterrupted months in the same country you must register the van in that country.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the budget will stretch you could buy a new MH and not have to worry for three years.:)

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
If the budget will stretch you could buy a new MH and not have to worry for three years.:)
We could afford a new motorhome, but then we wouldn't have enough money to travel, so we would be shooting ourselves in the collective foot with that idea!

Reactions: DBK

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unfortunately it would appear to be true, same as RFL cost and renewal. we are reasonably near Dover and can do the hab and mechanical services and organise the MOT

Any delays or problems you could have a hook up and live aboard still, you would need to book in advance

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is it so bad to have to pop back once a year, especially so when during that quick visit you'll be is the best country in Europe anyway :) Time your visit for the same weekend that we have summer and you'll be sorted (y)

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unfortunately it would appear to be true, same as RFL cost and renewal. we are reasonably near Dover and can do the hab and mechanical services and organise the MOT

Any delays or problems you could have a hook up and live aboard still, you would need to book in advance

Peter
My last MOT was in March, but I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to have another done in October on my way down to Dover. I would be able to stay the winter in warmer climes then. How far in advance do I need to book?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have moved our mot to the first week in August (last Friday) by having it done early. I chose August because it of school holidays as we don't want to be on holiday when millions of kids are. :LOL::LOL:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My last MOT was in March, but I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to have another done in October on my way down to Dover. I would be able to stay the winter in warmer climes then. How far in advance do I need to book?

Yes, I would agree. Have another MOT in October. It gives you a full 12 months before returning and coming back to UK in October each year reduces ferry costs - unless of course you are a chunnel traveller.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Husks at Lydden, are on the A2 outside Dover and very handy for the Ferries 5 miles from the gates. I went there for my MOT on the old Ford. It is a lorry repair depot with Class 4 bay. I do not know of a Folkestone MOT shop with a bay big enough.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you can get a 6 month test in spain . certainly used to be able to. cant be more as after 6 months the vehicle should be registered in spain.
was useless when you came back as only uk ones count here.
there has been garages issuing uk mpt certificates around marbella ,how real they are i cant say. but you also should tax vehicle as well.
mind there are ways to be exempt mot,s that could be a way forward for you .
mine is and i can tax on line or phone .
read the rules and let them work for you.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
think you can get a 6 month test in spain . certainly used to be able to. cant be more as after 6 months the vehicle should be registered in spain.
was useless when you came back as only uk ones count here.
there has been garages issuing uk mpt certificates around marbella ,how real they are i cant say. but you also should tax vehicle as well.
mind there are ways to be exempt mot,s that could be a way forward for you .
mine is and i can tax on line or phone .
read the rules and let them work for you.

As I understand the rules, without a current UK MoT certificate your insurance is not valid??
So a Spanish test doesn't count.
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

How is your UK registered vehicle exempt from a UK annual MoT?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you got a spanish mot then your vehicle as an mot .
where does it say must have a uk mot.
my vehicle is a heavy car constructed or adapted to form part of an articulated vehicle and only used to pull trailers that are specified under orders.class38 today but was class35 on the old v112g forms. the trailer is a living van thats gvw is under 3.500kg.
it does have to be kept road worthy.
there are 41 classes of exemption for vehicles over 3,500kg
and 15 for vehicles under 3,500kg .
some of them would never fit a camper but some do.
both my trucks were built to suit the criteria laid down by vosa . the mitzy i have now i built myself .
it was originally a tipper truck . used by our local grave digger.
vosa followed the build with interest as its also my disability vehicle .

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The regulations aren't very helpful for long term touring.
https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more
If it's uk registered it needs to have a uk mot.
There are probably quite a few folk ignoring the law and hoping not to get caught. (Or have an accident and find they aren't insured)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I understand the rules, without a current UK MoT certificate your insurance is not valid??

Not quite as simple as a yes / no answer.. I had to Google ..

Driving without a valid MOThttp://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/buying/2016/is-your-insurance-valid/
Driving without an MOT won't always make your insurance invalid. In most instances the insurers will still pay out in full - and if your car is stolen, or damaged, the payout will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

However, some policies state in the small print that an MOT must be in force.

If you drive on public roads without an MOT there will be a fine if you’re caught by the police, the only exception is if you’re travelling to a pre-booked MOT test, this must be a direct route though, and to your nearest garage that provides the test.

some more advice here http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/no-mot-invalid-insurance.html

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
if you got a spanish mot then your vehicle as an mot .
where does it say must have a uk mot.
my vehicle is a heavy car constructed or adapted to form part of an articulated vehicle and only used to pull trailers that are specified under orders.class38 today but was class35 on the old v112g forms. the trailer is a living van thats gvw is under 3.500kg.
it does have to be kept road worthy.
there are 41 classes of exemption for vehicles over 3,500kg
and 15 for vehicles under 3,500kg .
some of them would never fit a camper but some do.
both my trucks were built to suit the criteria laid down by vosa . the mitzy i have now i built myself .
it was originally a tipper truck . used by our local grave digger.
vosa followed the build with interest as its also my disability vehicle .

Thanks - interesting.
As I understand what you've said, it's a UK registered vehicle which doesn't need an annual UK Mot.
Does it have UK insurance as a UK registered vehicle?
Would it be road legal in the UK?

Just asking to better understand foreign based UK vehicles.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks - interesting.
As I understand what you've said, it's a UK registered vehicle which doesn't need an annual UK Mot.
Does it have UK insurance as a UK registered vehicle?
Would it be road legal in the UK?

Just asking to better understand foreign based UK vehicles.
mine is uk based has uk insurance disabled tax but mot exempt.

as to the spanish mot i know folk that have had it done . but the vehicle really needs tax.
in truth for many it really is come back to uk ,mot and tax then off again .
unless they read the rules and fit in with them . lots can and do .
i do come home every year these days but also know i could tax by telephone or on line if need be and not come back . just move around country to country. yes if out for more than 12 months should tell dvla etc . used to do that when on an african trip . could be out 18 months just mot .tax on return .keeps same reg number . plus cant register abroad if you keep moving .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Is it so bad to have to pop back once a year, especially so when during that quick visit you'll be is the best country in Europe anyway :) Time your visit for the same weekend that we have summer and you'll be sorted (y)
Can you let us know which weekend that will be Jim? BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back