Sea France some suspended sailings this w/e (1 Viewer)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
For those that may be sailing with Sea France this w/e this notice is up on their website

"We regret to inform you that our sailings will be suspended from 07:00 hours on Friday 16 October until 08:30 hours on Saturday 17 October. For further information please call 0871 222 0711.
We anticipate that all sailings will return to normal operation from 0830 on Saturday."

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
It's their final death throes. Word is they will go into administration in a matter of weeks. This is unless the French Seamans' Union and management come to a compromise about company restructuring. Now what are the chances of that happening!

Edit. Crickey first post and I haven't introduced myself yet!

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's their final death throes. Word is they will go into administration in a matter of weeks. This is unless the French Seamans' Union and management come to a compromise about company restructuring. Now what are the chances of that happening!

Bad news, we've had some really good deals from them. Of course this could be why it's bad news. I thought another group had just bought them out ?

Consider yourself introduced. Well sort of, don't know whether to call you Moll or Phot but we don't stand on ceremony here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

EEK ! I hope not, as I just booked and paid SeaFrance last week for our trip so we could go skiing next season

ps Molls-Phot Welcome from us too :welcome:

Bad news, we've had some really good deals from them. Of course this could be why it's bad news. I thought another group had just bought them out ?

Would the new company still honour the fares / sailings sold already I wonder or should I cancel and booked elsewhere?

And to think I received their autumn crossings special promotion e-mail today of £19 :Eeek:

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
The company has good assets, i.e. a modern fleet, so it's inconceivable that there won't be a French company plying the Dover Straits for too long. Likely outcome is that another French company (Brittany Ferries?) will reintroduce crossings at some stage if the worst does happen.

Seems that management want to cut a ship and lose 500 jobs to streamline costs and the unions don't!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have received an email regarding our sailing the end of this month,,

Saying our sailing had been put back half hour because of (Operational Changes) ..

And that was from L.D.Lines, Perhaps something is going on..

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
The fast ferry does not suit the route (too small for freight) so it is being swapped with a conventional ferry from Portsmouth.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems that management want to cut a ship and lose 500 jobs to streamline costs and the unions don't!

And the French invented the saying for it, Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

But not in Ellesmere Port. A shedload of sense seems to have escaped and they have realised that people are not entitled to a good living they have to have what is practical. It's only taken 40 years of closing industry for this to sink in.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've been on the Sea France website for sailing Dover to Calais return in July 2010, the price quoted for our trike is £128 return:cry:, and for our 20ft Tribute 650 only £89 return, it doesn't make sence, think I'll get the motorhome triked:ROFLMAO:, we are hoping to go to the annual Belgium Trike rally.

John.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Seems the port of Calais is to be blockaded on Friday 16 October as part of the SeaFrance strike. The French unions certainly know how to win friends and influence people!

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Some more info on SeaFrance

Just tried to log into my account with SeaFrance but kept saying wrong password (its not) to see if I paid with a debit or credit card (duh old age memory) but it wouldnt let me so panic then set in, then decided to tel them, a very nice lady was still taking bookings but couldnt help until monday when the chappie that deals with that is in so thought I would ask about are they folding, she replied if things should go that way "everyone" would be re-imbursed in full any monies paid for their sailings as it was mentioned that would happen here in another thread but she hoped it didnt go that way

Guess I was only thinking about my journey but they would be out of a job maybe - surely hope they are not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back