Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so off in the morning for our first outing in our new MH and we are going to the big main land UK :)
We will be wild camping where possible , and we have no real plans set in stone , but at the start of our journey we will be going to the Lake District just below Carlisle.
I will be using Brit Stops , Camper stop , camper contact & Park4night as well as my own two eyes to find somewhere suitable to stop over for the night.
Are there any must see places in the lake district or near by for that matter ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have a great time but ....

Presuming you will have come over into Scotland, you are heading into a holiday from hell in Cumbria at this time of year, I would stay north of the border, if you have come into Heysham, go via Cumbria but get to Scotland ASAP

So many options there

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Will be sailing into Cairnryan , places i Must go to are Leeds and Nottingham , the rest is just ,,, WHATEVER :) just what ever we fancy , when you say holiday from hell in Cumbria ,, is that because its to busy i take it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Cumbria seems to attract the masses, for a region that geographically is nearly the same as Dumfries and Galloway, but with much narrower roads and not many options for parking off site

I am biased, but much prefer the relative quietness of Scotland

How long are you away for?

A nice feature of Scotland is that the kids return to school much earlier than England, mid August, so maybe get the England bit out of the way then head north (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck, have you sorted out water filling and waste emptying when "wilding"? It can all be done but this sounds like an adventurous first trip. I was born in Carlisle and knew the Lakes well but even then, many decades ago they put up signs in August saying "Full" at the entrances!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I don't go to the lakes between easter and September, too many people. Slow down and enjoy Dumfries and Galloway.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
How long are you away for?
just over 2 weeks

Good luck, have you sorted out water filling and waste emptying when "wilding"? It can all be done but this sounds like an adventurous first trip. I was born in Carlisle and knew the Lakes well but even then, many decades ago they put up signs in August saying "Full" at the entrances!
Re water filling and empting , we will stay / go to a facilities site when we need more water etc.

Reactions: DBK

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
can offer overnight near to leeds, m1/ m62 junction 2 miles

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@jtp890 that's very kind of you. If needed I will let you know. Thank you :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We are currently in the keswick area of the lake district ? , at home in n.Ireland the council's have refill points simular to the car electric charge points . Where you can enter £1 and get x amount of liters of water . Do such things exist in the UK ?
If not then does Anyone know somewhere to refill up with water other that a campsite ,

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We are currently in the keswick area of the lake district ? , at home in n.Ireland the council's have refill points simular to the car electric charge points . Where you can enter £1 and get x amount of liters of water . Do such things exist in the UK ?
If not then does Anyone know somewhere to refill up with water other that a campsite ,
When you fill with diesel fill up with water also cemetery's and churches public toilet's
And most Brit stops empty toilet at every opportunity.
When wielding
Willdbill

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Now going on to windermere . Still on the hunt for water :) get some from the lake lol

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Now going on to windermere . Still on the hunt for water :) get some from the lake lol
The public toilets at windermere go to pundstrechers or sume whare like that and get one of this cheep push on the tap shower things and just throw away the shower bit and use one of the push on ruber tap fitings and keep the other for a spare one
Willdbill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cant help with the filling up as I would have recommended the same as above, petrol stations, grave yards and church yard.
If however your looking for a nice couple of basic CL's let me know, we use one at Ullswater for £6 a night no hook up but has water and waste.
When you get back to D&G let me know if you need any help or advice or want to fill the van with water or empty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back