not motorhome related but LED related (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am looking to replace some 5ft fluorescent fittings with an LED equivalent
The current ones are rated at 60w with the light output you would expect

I am looking for strip LED fittings that will give at least equivalent light output and have a similar housing ( so as not to have to redo the whole ceiling again :) )

Anyone have any suggestions ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Oiley,
And that really emphasises the problem !
There are SO many options available. I am really looking for definitive answer as to what equals a standard 65w unit :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A more precise question..
I can find the lumen output and colour temperature of the LED jobbies, but not of the old fluorescent fittings..
So I am after the figures for the old units so I can match them with the new LED ones ( if you see what I mean :) )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A very useful site B F, but again no figures given for the standard 60w fluorescent .. Just about everything else mind you LOL !!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cheers Oiley,
And that really emphasises the problem !
There are SO many options available. I am really looking for definitive answer as to what equals a standard 65w unit :)
The info is under each tube in Oileys link. Possibly a bit approximate though.

Deleted User
In the link given by Olley is says that the 5ft led tube is equivalent to a 58W fluorescent. Is this the information you are after.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably no help at all but i replaced the 2x300m mm flourescents in the van with four strips stick on of led the same length and the leds are brighter

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In the link given by Olley is says that the 5ft led tube is equivalent to a 58W fluorescent. Is this the information you are after.
Not exactly but I think it is about as close as I am gonna get to be honest ! :)
I will have to take a stab at the colour temperature of a standard tube..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Think I may have found it !! 3500k seems to be the standard..
Now I have all the info needed :)
Thanks to everyone for the input.. greatly appreciated :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we just had a load of fittings changed at our church. the sparky said that the old ones were about 3500k equivalent but recommended 4500k, with an option of even brighter. pleased we chose the 4500k as they really improved the overall light level

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Think I may have found it !! 3500k seems to be the standard..
Now I have all the info needed :)
Thanks to everyone for the input.. greatly appreciated :)
Just a point of order john
Why do you want to match the fluorescent colour, why not pick a temperature that suits the room use best
I find fluorescence colours a bit harsh

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a point of order john
Why do you want to match the fluorescent colour, why not pick a temperature that suits the room use best
I find fluorescence colours a bit harsh
I have decided to go LED as at least one ( if not all ) of the units in the kitchen is on from the moment we get up until late in the evening
Woman is always whinging about any change to lighting so it is important I get as close to 'normal strip light ambiance as possible

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I always thought fluorescent lamps were efficient power-wise anyway, are LEDs that much better?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@Jaws you may already know this but the larger the Kelvin number the 'cooler' or the closer to daylight the light, the lower the number the closer to a filament lamp it gets. We tend to use Colour 840 or Phillips 840 en masse on board. They have a colour of 4000K which is a "coolish warm" light in Phillips paralance and seems to strike a decent balance between colour rendition and harshness
The old standard for fluoros was a colour 35 which was at 3500K and referred to as white though most people associate that with 'them orrible fluorescents'
Its only recently LEDs were able to get to the lower warm Kelvin numbers usually by mixing in yellow or red led chips. I've got 2700k ones in the house and moho & SWMBO tolerates those as being close to the old filament lamp colour.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I always thought fluorescent lamps were efficient power-wise anyway, are LEDs that much better?
In a word Yes. Fluoros arent bad compared to filament lamps or halogens but LEDs are 10 times more efficient generally speaking and have a much longer life. They do have problems , our kitchen has T-H fittings and Leds just dont work as the fitting is designed to use the backscatter light from the backside of the TH spots and LEDs dont have any. They also produce a much sharper cut-off so the shadows can be in high contrast to illuminated areas..

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
This may be of interest? Osram's quite good explanation of colour temperature and rendering
ok here's link the file upload didnt work

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@Jaws you may already know this but the larger the Kelvin number the 'cooler' or the closer to daylight the light, the lower the number the closer to a filament lamp it gets. We tend to use Colour 840 or Phillips 840 en masse on board. They have a colour of 4000K which is a "coolish warm" light in Phillips paralance and seems to strike a decent balance between colour rendition and harshness
The old standard for fluoros was a colour 35 which was at 3500K and referred to as white though most people associate that with 'them orrible fluorescents'
Its only recently LEDs were able to get to the lower warm Kelvin numbers usually by mixing in yellow or red led chips. I've got 2700k ones in the house and moho & SWMBO tolerates those as being close to the old filament lamp colour.

Yup.. over the years in the various professions I have infested I have dealt with colour temperatures quite a bit..
I think the 4000 will be a tad too white ( as in leaning slightly towards the blue part of the spectrum ) while at 3500 it will be a lot closer to what the old lights put out.
Mind you, am now thinking of using a couple of panels that are configured to dispense indirect lighting ( as in most offices ).
As mentioned, LED's are by nature not very good at back scatter ( in fact apart from a bit of unintentional they have NONE LOL !! )
So mounting them pointing at a reflector might well be the better option..
Will have to think long and hard over the coming weeks while in Ireland..

Might mention the idea to my son in law and daughter who are house sitting for us.. 3 years ago mentioned laminated flooring.. came home, the kids had clubbed togther and done it

2 years ago mentioned new central heating system.. Came home son had fitted new system through out

I wonder if I mention a new house ?? LOL !!!

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Yup.. over the years in the various professions I have infested I have dealt with colour temperatures quite a bit..
I think the 4000 will be a tad too white ( as in leaning slightly towards the blue part of the spectrum ) while at 3500 it will be a lot closer to what the old lights put out.
Mind you, am now thinking of using a couple of panels that are configured to dispense indirect lighting ( as in most offices ).
As mentioned, LED's are by nature not very good at back scatter ( in fact apart from a bit of unintentional they have NONE LOL !! )
So mounting them pointing at a reflector might well be the better option..
Will have to think long and hard over the coming weeks while in Ireland..

Might mention the idea to my son in law and daughter who are house sitting for us.. 3 years ago mentioned laminated flooring.. came home, the kids had clubbed togther and done it

2 years ago mentioned new central heating system.. Came home son had fitted new system through out

I wonder if I mention a new house ?? LOL !!!

Yes, I wouldn't go for a 4000, ok on here with our semi industrial/office/living quarters environment I'd be tending towards 3000 or even 2700. I think you are better off where the fittings are designed from the start for LED. Previous owner of RH installed LED strips, (I think around the 3000K) in behind the perforated alloy air circ panels above the bulkhead cupboards and they give a lovely background light at night.

By the way, anytime your son and daughter in law would like to housesit for us ........... :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Interesting

My 'work' work light has three white chips and a red chip
Makes quite a nice working light

Most others I have seen have yellow chips in

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have decided to go LED as at least one ( if not all ) of the units in the kitchen is on from the moment we get up until late in the evening
Woman is always whinging about any change to lighting so it is important I get as close to 'normal strip light ambiance as possible
Same problem here so replaced all 10 60watt bulbs with 10 5watt LED bulbs in the kitchen. Great saving on power consumption and they are brighter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back