Flags and Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Having just attended the Cambridge Rock Festival in the MH, we were astounded by how many people had flags raised over their vehicles. The poles supporting said flags would have dwarfed the Empire State Building in many cases.

Not sure why people choose to fly flags ? Is it so you can find you MH when your really drunk ? Or so your mates can find you, "Look Mabel, there's Grenville's MH just under the life size model of the flying Pterosaur" ?

Judging by the flags, many people must have had a previous existence sailing with Blackbeard, there were enough wannabe Pirates to re-crew the entire fleet of English Privateers sailing the Spanish Main. One MH we saw had two flags raised, one was a gruesome skull and crossbones and below was three cutlasses dripping blood. We assumed the owner of the MH would be a cross between Lemme and Hulk Hogan, but no, out steps a guy who made Private Godfrey in Dads Army look menacing !!!

Next to us was a MH which had a pole then a line attached to a replica Hawk (or something similar) which kept dipping into our line of sight as we sat outside, causing us to assuming we were in a re-make of "The Birds", thanks mate !!!

Anyone explain the attraction of flags ?

Oh, and one of the poles lit up at night !!! Which was useful as it was a good warning to aircraft to stay above 1000ft while flying over the barrage balloon field !!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
one was a gruesome skull and crossbones
There were a couple of those when we were in Dalkeith a few days ago.

Two of the vans were even worse though, they had
31Yfeg%2BQLiL._AC_UL115_.jpg
:Eeek::laughing:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Never been to the Cambridge ROCK festival
Will watch out for flags and grumpy people with illuminated flag poles

Went to the Cambridge FOLK festival and found every single person there Loverly

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There were a couple of those when we were in Dalkeith a few days ago.

Two of the vans were even worse though, they had
31Yfeg%2BQLiL._AC_UL115_.jpg
:Eeek::laughing:
It is when you see this flag

image.jpeg

That you should worry. The mob with pitchforks and flaming torches will be soon on the scene to scare away incomers for fear of widening the gene pool........

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We have some, we are obliged to put them up, but i take them down as soon as it gets dark, the things flap round and keep me awake.. annoy the hell out of me.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If motor homers did not fly flags it would make a complete mockery of the stalls sellinget them
Simple when you thonk oot the box

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Because it's fun.

We've got one that appears for music festivals. Got all sorts to fly from it.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
OK, while you lot were running your flags up the flagpole to see who salutes them :whistle:

If you like heavy rock look at Voodoo Vegas and if you like Blues look up Rebecca Downes band, both excellent !! :)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a Dorset flag and a Yamaha one...mainly so we can find the bloody big white van amongst the hundreds of other big white vans.
( especially after a few drops of the falling down water ) :roflmto:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks @icantremember - so is that the correct way to hoist the Union Jack? My boy Scout days are a far and distant memory and even then I got it wrong.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg

I had a couple up on Helen for the Tour de France in Andorra. As I am a sad old f**t I really like them and I had taken sufficient muscle relaxent for sleep to be easy, that was until the advent of the Camion et remorque at 0315 am et Madame Champignon.

Please note, I have no idea who those people are and I had wound the awning in until it was clear I was not obstructing the course. Next year I plan a few more.

At least two Dorset flags were up this year.

:france::france::wine::wine::france::france:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Currently on the Brighton site, flags galore, Yorkshire , Cornish , oh as its pride weekend umpteen rainbow flags.
Some vans have gone to town with lights and I must say well done to them. I saw several families walking round taking photos when the lights were on .
I did hear one person say , oooh , it's just like Blackpool.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's funny how everyone knows to fly their pirate flags up the right way but so many don't know which way to hoist their own Union Jack.:rolleyes:

XstreetGif_UK.gif

Quite correct, broad white band at the top next to the flagpole - and none of this flying it sideways if you please.

I once came across the flag being flown upside down at a RAF Memorial site! When I pointed it out they didn't have a clue, obviously not ex-service people.

And, not wishing to appear pedantic (but I am!:LOL:) the correct term is the Union FLAG. It should only be referred to as the Union Jack when being flown by one of HMs warships.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Quite correct, broad white band at the top next to the flagpole - and none of this flying it sideways if you please.

I once came across the flag being flown upside down at a RAF Memorial site! When I pointed it out they didn't have a clue, obviously not ex-service people.

And, not wishing to appear pedantic (but I am!:LOL:) the correct term is the Union FLAG. It should only be referred to as the Union Jack when being flown by one of HMs warships.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun