Autogas supplies hard to find? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Just returned from a really enjoyable 10 day tour of Norfolk.
Only problem we had was when we needed to refill our refillable gas cylinder.
We have the smaller size (6.5kg) because of restricted gas cabinet size and set off with the gauge showing just off full, I know this doesn't actually mean what it says, it really means just off half empty. No problem I had checked a couple of lpg apps and there appeared to plenty of autogas filling stations in Norfolk. After a few days decided we needed to get some.
Sunday was the day we were moving from Gorleston to the Broads and 3 suppliers appeared on the map, two in Gt Yarmouth; South Quay and Caister Road and if all else fails another further out.
South Quay no we don't and don't know who does (and this customer friendly tone was after filling up with diesel!!)
Caister Road, formerly Shell, now BP. Pump still there but out of order [permanently?].
Panic starting to set in, start ringing round stations answer "no we don't do it now", "try Morrisons in Norwich". Finally one said yes and after driving to it the berk was referring to cylinder gas.
So no gas and a trip on Monday morning to Flogas depot at Ludham.
After a similar experience in the South Lakes (ended up at a station off the M6), I am beginning to feel it was a mistake converting to refillable.
Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem - the apps about who sells it are out of date and filling stations are dropping it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, we fill up before setting off regardless of wether we need to or not (put 65p's worth in once) and always top up very early when we see a pump.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As a general observation, I think you were a bit unlucky to be in an area which is a bit sparse.
More specifically, did you try FillLPG or it's associated Android app? It shows three places surrounding the Broads (all a bit out of your way perhaps but there nevertheless). The closest was probably Kelcrow at Long Lane, Strumpshaw.
I used the app last year when we were in Norfolk and driving from Sheringham to Lowestoft. We deliberately went along the A140 via Roughton as a result.

Using LPG is certainly easier if you have larger cylinders. We have two x 11Kg Alugas so usually have plenty of leeway. We tend to fill up on the way home from a trip if we have less than two full cylinders because we then know that we are OK for the next trip.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware of filllpg and have looked at it and it does look accurate, certainly the BP station in Caister road is correctly listed as "currently unavailable" so would have been useful given the time taken to get there through surprisingly heavy traffic.
Bigger capacity in my case would need to be an under floor tank, an expensive solution for us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Dalesman Conversions in Skipton, a small company. Good in many respects but the gas cabinet just too small for a 11kg cylinder. I have tried to mock up a larger cylinder by cutting out pieces of cardboard to advertised dimensions and believe it is just too small but frustratingly only just.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, that's why I couldn't work out what it is! The reason I'm asking is that our previous PVC, Autocruise Accent, had a gas locker tha twas nly supposed to take 2 x 7kg Calor bottles but I managed to get our 11kg Gaslow bottle in there by taking the door surround 'rubber' off and using a lump hammer to make the cylinder base a few mm narrower, to match the diameter of the 'gas holding' part of the cylinder - below are photos of the locker itself with the bottle squeezed in.

4 - Rear lockers open.JPG
16 - Gas locker.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just returned from a really enjoyable 10 day tour of Norfolk.
Only problem we had was when we needed to refill our refillable gas cylinder.
We have the smaller size (6.5kg) because of restricted gas cabinet size and set off with the gauge showing just off full, I know this doesn't actually mean what it says, it really means just off half empty. No problem I had checked a couple of lpg apps and there appeared to plenty of autogas filling stations in Norfolk. After a few days decided we needed to get some.
Sunday was the day we were moving from Gorleston to the Broads and 3 suppliers appeared on the map, two in Gt Yarmouth; South Quay and Caister Road and if all else fails another further out.
South Quay no we don't and don't know who does (and this customer friendly tone was after filling up with diesel!!)
Caister Road, formerly Shell, now BP. Pump still there but out of order [permanently?].
Panic starting to set in, start ringing round stations answer "no we don't do it now", "try Morrisons in Norwich". Finally one said yes and after driving to it the berk was referring to cylinder gas.
So no gas and a trip on Monday morning to Flogas depot at Ludham.
After a similar experience in the South Lakes (ended up at a station off the M6), I am beginning to feel it was a mistake converting to refillable.
Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem - the apps about who sells it are out of date and filling stations are dropping it.
I live in Kendal. Autogas LPG is available in the town from the Calor Depot on Mintsfeet Ind Estate. Outside the town Crooklands Garage & Tebay Services have it. M6 south of Kendal Lancaster Services and M6 (quite a bit) north of Kendal Gretna Services have it too. Those are the ones I use and I know there are others. There's no shortage of places who sell it: finding out about them is another matter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Someone wrote to BP recently asking why LPG had been removed from some garages. Reply below.

I'm sorry that our decision to withdraw the sale of LPG on some of our forecourts local to you has caused you some distress.

As a retailer we have to review the goods and services we provide at our sites on a regular basis to make sure they are competitive and financially cost effective. LPG sales have continued to decline over the long term as manufacturers have stopped supplying LPG cars and the number of LPG cars reduces over time. As such we are taking an approach of removing LPG on a site by site basis from our company operated sites when it would no longer be financially viable to continue.

BP operates about 300 forecourts in the UK, of which less than 90 still have LPG. A further 900 BP branded forecourts in the UK are operated by third party operators (‘dealers’) who independently still have the option to include LPG pumps at their sites.

You could speak to the UK LPG association to see whether they have any recommendations for you given your more specific needs of an LPG power source. The UK LPG website is www.UKLPG.org.

Thanks

Chris

This year In France we also encountered a few stations that had stopped selling Autogas.. Not particularly concerned, as we have 2 x 11kg Gaslow which is more than enough for a couple of months abroad in the summer, without using EHU... but in UK winter and if not on EHU it could become a problem..

If the trend of closing Autogas pumps continues, then longterm, refillable bottles may become less attractive .... and ultimately as much use a as a chocolate fireguard..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sadly fill lpg doesn't appear to be available to i-phone.
Pity. As an alternative (if you have a sat nav) you could download their POI file and put it on your device. They don't supply an icon file but it isn't difficult to create one. I can send one to anyone who sends me their e-mail address in a PM.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Yes that is frustrating. OH tends to do a list before we go. Works for us as we dont have to refill to often with two gaslow bottles.
Pp

You can access the site via your iPhone or iPad using the Safari web browser...

It's a tad awkward because of map and screen size on iPhone... But still doable...

John T

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Pp

You can access the site via your iPhone or iPad using the Safari web browser...

It's a tad awkward because of map and screen size on iPhone... But still doable...

John T
Tried that but was just too frustrating...

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Refillable bottles are next on my shopping list.
I think I'll keep an eye on the filllpg site for 6 months

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Another idea I tried was asking the local cab drivers where they filled up as there's a lot of them running petrol cars here in notloB that have been converted. Local supplier is @42p per litre right now. (y)

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
notloB?
I'm not too bothered about price but supply, but 42p is good. Flogas charged me 51p and I thought that was good. I asked them [Flogas depot staff] for a list of their depots but they didn't have one, I intended marking them on my road map.
May try the download from fillpg onto my TomTom instead.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Just spent last 1.5 hours trying to download the filllpg pois to my tomtom start25 but to no hope. I think this version start 25 doesn't accept third party pois. The so-called help function just goes round and round (a bit like following a tomtom sat nav).

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Every time we fill with diesel we top up the most I have had to put in was £5.50 and the least was 90p I have never run out
Willdbill

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Every time we fill with diesel we top up the most I have had to put in was £5.50 and the least was 90p I have never run out
Willdbill
Sounds like the way to avoid panicking about running out. The trouble is with a small cylinder when the needle starts to move off full you really haven't much left. So not waiting until that happens by constantly topping up every 3-7 days is the answer. Would be better if I could find a way of having up to date info on which garage to get it from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back