Has Anyone Experienced Poor Service From A Used Dealer? (1 Viewer)

WeekendWanderers

Free Member
Aug 5, 2016
WOLVERHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi there,

We have recently bought from a dealer, purchasing a used (10 y.o. 27k) Bessie. The dealer was ok, well established. After our first trip of over 50 miles it became evident that there was a clutch problem. I contacted the dealer who was unresponsive and ultimately rude and told me it was sold as seen and told me that the camper we had P/X'd was costing him money (?) so he would not listen to me. After 300 miles the engine stopped working and I had a bill of £850 from the very helpful company that picked me up from the middle of nowhere in Shropshire. I now have to also replace the clutch at circa £160. The owner or the site has been nothing but rude and unhelpful.

I wonder if I should be naming the company on forums such as this so that others may be warned or whether that could get me into trouble?

What do you guys think?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Twice i have had clutches go,one monday morning,had i known it was about to go,i could have fixed it Sunday,second time,i had come up from Southampton to N/castle,delivered ,reloaded and was on the way back when it went (Not the same unit),so,there is not a lot of warning sometimes. As regards."Sold as seen"...Buyer beware. Sorry if this is not much help,but it is what does happen,without warning.
Tea Bag

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Given this is your first post I will be a little cautious replying, but the law is very much on your side. There is no such thing as "sold as seen" with vehicles unless you paid buttons for it, which I assume you didn't. Get legal advice or try Citizens Advice, both will advise you on your rights.

From what you describe the fault would be classed as pre-existing so it is for the seller to fix or give you a full refund. Your trade in is no part of the equation, that is his problem.

Unfortunately, as you have already paid for repairs you are at a disadvantage. You should have forced the seller to fix the first fault.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi there,

We have recently bought from a dealer, purchasing a used (10 y.o. 27k) Bessie. The dealer was ok, well established. After our first trip of over 50 miles it became evident that there was a clutch problem. I contacted the dealer who was unresponsive and ultimately rude and told me it was sold as seen and told me that the camper we had P/X'd was costing him money (?) so he would not listen to me. After 300 miles the engine stopped working and I had a bill of £850 from the very helpful company that picked me up from the middle of nowhere in Shropshire. I now have to also replace the clutch at circa £160. The owner or the site has been nothing but rude and unhelpful.
I wonder if I should be naming the company on forums such as this so that others may be warned or whether that could get me into trouble?
What do you guys think?

Welcome

First posts complaining of service or dealers aren't always well received, I would hold off naming anyone for a while.

Buying secondhand vehicles is always a lottery... did you get a warranty?

Was the van good value? I hate buying vehicles, you just don't know what you are buying

Welcome anyway, if you have any more problems there is plenty of help here that will save you money in the future(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
W

WeekendWanderers

Free Member
Aug 5, 2016
WOLVERHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the quick response Tea Bag.

I guess then that I should just take it on the chin. I realise that you take a risk buying 2nd hand and mitigate that via the lower cost however, my qualm is with the post-sale disinterest and disassociation of the dealer. Poor service is something that we seem to put up with in the UK. Is this right? Or should we be more forthright?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

WeekendWanderers

Free Member
Aug 5, 2016
WOLVERHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Barclaybasher.

I will not name and shame. However if my experience can encourage others to take heed and get proper vehicle checks (which I didn't, rather taking the word of the dealer) then I guess that is a job done.

I think I'll be buying new in the future although I have to say that all of the interior features of our unit are excellent.

Thanks for the response - it is appreciated.

OP
OP
W

WeekendWanderers

Free Member
Aug 5, 2016
WOLVERHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks DBK. I think you are right - I should have insisted however we are currently enjoying weekends away so I will suck it up and keep quiet about the dealer.

Ultimately we love motorhoming and won't let this set us back!

Long may we all enjoy our homes from homes.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Poor service is something that we seem to put up with in the UK. Is this right? Or should we be more forthright?

I've run a business for over 30 years and have lost count of the times I have been ripped off by customers, doesn't stop me, I've 'taken it on the chin' many times and I still help customers who I know will never buy, go to the internet or competitors......doesn't bother me........I'm still in business(y)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've run a business for over 30 years and have lost count of the times I have been ripped off by customers, doesn't stop me, I've 'taken it on the chin' many times and I still help customers who I know will never buy, go to the internet or competitors......doesn't bother me........I'm still in business(y)(y)
I didnt know you were in business Vic. I always thought you were a de-frocked bank manager. :Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I didnt know you were in business Vic. I always thought you were a de-frocked bank manager. :Eeek:

No Dave but I know I've 'defrocked' a few Barclays' (b)ankers(y)(y)

OP
OP
W

WeekendWanderers

Free Member
Aug 5, 2016
WOLVERHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The website told us it came with a warranty. Once we had problems we were told this was not the case.

I must ultimately take some responsibility for this as apparently I didn't insist on this upon the sale.

This made me very happy, as I'm sure you can imagine.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The website told us it came with a warranty. Once we had problems we were told this was not the case.

I must ultimately take some responsibility for this as apparently I didn't insist on this upon the sale.

This made me very happy, as I'm sure you can imagine.
take a copy of the advert and use it to claim back expenses with receipts using small claims court

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
take a copy of the advert and use it to claim back expenses with receipts using small claims court
Great idea
You don't even have to go to court nowadays
Moneyclaim Online lets you do it from the comfort of your own home
It's easy to turn a blind eye and let the dealer avoid their responsibilities, but I'd stand my ground and get your money back.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I see you are now a 'Read Only' member..

If you join the Forum as a full member, (it's £15 per year..) then you can do a full review in our Motorhome Dealers Review site

Last edited by a moderator:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You have no less rights now than you had on the day you bought it you had little option but to fork out for repairs given the dealers attitude
Sue the back side off him I cant see how you can loose its the softies in this world that allow things like this to happen.
If you decide to suck it up and take it on the chin, think the next couple that will be screwed over was with your help:rolleyes:
Extremely Harsh but true.
ps Name the sod and save a few more the same fate if its all true you do no wrong at all

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If the van was "sold as seen" it should have been in the advert and on the invoice IMO. BUT I don't think we should get into a one sided Kangaroo court naming and shaming a business that may well have played it straight down the line.

Martin

Edit

But this can and should serve as a timely reminder to anybody buying used to get it checked and know what you are buying, surely you would ask about a warranty when spending £27k and then you would have "warranty document" to back it up.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I take it from your Kangaroo comment that the dealer wont be given the same opportunity to reply
Why is that ??

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I doubt that the dealer is reading this thread now and saying "Oy thats me he's slagging off" and then giving us his side, OK if somebody want to give him the nod and let him come on here and put his side then possibly we would be a little better informed and able to make a decision.

Martin

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how the van was paid for? If any part was paid by credit card he may have a claim under s74-1 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Was the van on finance?

As @scotjimland suggested being a member may well be the best £15 you will ever spend.

I also wonder if you have been given the brush off by a sales person. It my be a food idea to find out the names of the directors and mail them. Or does the company belong to a trade organisation?

A bit early to give up. And I don't buy their "we had to spend money fixing your part exchange" argument.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As for concerns about buying second hand from a dealer, may I redress the balance by saying that of the three dealers I have used recently, I cannot fault their responses to any problems I have presented them with, including one in Somerset, some 200 miles from my home, who even paid my diesel to go and get a water leak fixed.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My thought is that it is bad luck, could just as easily have gone the day after any warranty ran out, the same as the week after buying. I am more troubled by the £850 recovery charge if I have read that right, that seems to be the rip off, but also shows you don't mind a little gamble driving without recovery cover

The actual clutch repair seems very cheap and I would take that on the chin and kick myself for not having recovery

Carry on enjoying your weekends away, hopefully you will soon put this behind you (y)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Under the Sale of Goods Act etc, a motor dealer CANNOT sell any vehicle 'as seen' and it must be fit for purpose. The only exception possibly is 'sold for scrap' or reconditioning and thats debatable!

The minimum warranty which must be given on any motor vehicle is three months

Suggest Trading Standards or Small claims Court

Peter

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Go to a solicitor with copies of your bills/costs and get him to write to supplying dealer advising that under the "sale of goods act" the item (motorhome) must be of merchantable quality !! Obviously requiring both a clutch and engine repair so soon after purchasing falls into this category.
As others have said the phrase "sold as seen" does not apply to any dealer by him failing to ensure that the vehicle is safe and road worthy he has failed miserably.
Also advise him that you will be post his full details onto the forums that you use.
Believe me it works !! I know as i did it with a new Autotrail motorhome years ago and all my correspondance was duplicated here on this forum and others too!
wish you well and please keep us informed as to how thing progress.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Go to a solicitor with copies of your bills/costs and get him to write to supplying dealer advising that under the "sale of goods act" the item (motorhome) must be of merchantable quality !! Obviously requiring both a clutch and engine repair so soon after purchasing falls into this category.
As others have said the phrase "sold as seen" does not apply to any dealer by him failing to ensure that the vehicle is safe and road worthy he has failed miserably.
Also advise him that you will be post his full details onto the forums that you use.
Believe me it works !! I know as i did it with a new Autotrail motorhome years ago and all my correspondance was duplicated here on this forum and others too!
wish you well and please keep us informed as to how thing progress.

Your good advice will probably not be read by the OP who hasn't been on the forum since their rant back in mid August, unless they have joined under a different name.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back