Tablet Sat Nav advice please (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
I have seen a few posts on here about specific satnav units ie Garmin Camper or Chinese 7" units but i am looking to utilize one of the number of tablets i have at home, I intend to use either the 7" or 10" android units specifically as they have dedicated GPS chips, does anyone have any advice on android satnav apps to use for the MH, is it worth going for the dedicated MH/Truck apps for the vehicle dimensions?

thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mark

OP
OP
Mark James
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Jeesh just seen the mess i made of spelling the Thread title..... i need a few days away in the MH, and then managed to find out how to edit it... still learning bear with me :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
CoPilot is well reviewed on here. I tried it with my 9“ tablet but had two problems. The tablet and the mount I bought were too big really for my dashboard. It would be better with a 7" tablet. The other problem was the battery ran flat even when permanently connected to a USB socket. To overcome this I think the USB socket (2A) needs to be very close to the tablet so you can use a very short lead. Even then I'm not sure my Nexus 9 tablet could be run all day as it uses a lot of power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Try " here maps" look for it in the play store, it's now called here wego fantastic, as good as any dedicated sat nav, it's owned by bmw and what is in there cars.
And best of all free, and got downloadable maps so it works off line.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
CoPilot is well reviewed on here. I tried it with my 10“ tablet but had two problems. The tablet and the mount I bought were too big really for my dashboard. It would be better with a 7" tablet. The other problem was the battery ran flat even when permanently connected to a USB socket. To overcome this I think the USB socket (2A) needs to be very close to the tablet so you can use a very short lead. Even then I'm not sure my Nexus 9 tablet could be run all day as it uses a lot of power.

I run CoPilot on a tablet and found the battery drained when plugged into a 2amp USB. I now switch the tablet to "aeroplane" mode - this seems to have cured the problem.

Reactions: DBK

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I bought Co-Pilot caravan/camper couple of weeks ago, tried it against my Garmin, within half a mile of home it wanted to take me on a country road I would think twice about going in the car ! then when I ignored that it wanted me to go down a unmade track. Needles to say I haven't used it since, that's £39 quid I wasted.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I used Hudle 2 with no issues I did however turn other stuff off, Hudle died so now have nexus 7 with Copilot loaded and maps me. I have yet to try this but I am confident it will do the job I also have far to many motorhome related apps I should cut back a bit.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I had Sygic on a tablet and also on a phone. I found that on the tablet (Samsung 7") it lagged badly when compared to the phone.

I'm currently using a Garmin 660 from Aldi. I also have one on the Chinese versions but find the screen difficult to see in bright light with sunglasses

Andrew

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I run CoPilot on a tablet and found the battery drained when plugged into a 2amp USB. I now switch the tablet to "aeroplane" mode - this seems to have cured the problem.
you can also change the power setting in copilot to always use lower power mode. This is very effective, and all it does in all honesty is reduce the map redraw rates, barely noticeable in use, but does save the juice. I also tend to use the directions view so that the map is only visable when coming to junctions etc, again a major power save

ive a 8inch tablet that uses a 2amp charger normally, but quite happily keeps its charge running from the .5amp usb power port on the stereo

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I have seen a few posts on here about specific satnav units ie Garmin Camper or Chinese 7" units but i am looking to utilize one of the number of tablets i have at home, I intend to use either the 7" or 10" android units specifically as they have dedicated GPS chips, does anyone have any advice on android satnav apps to use for the MH, is it worth going for the dedicated MH/Truck apps for the vehicle dimensions?

thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mark
another fan of copilot here too

lots of free alternatives around and have tried most of them myself but always come back to copliot for quite a few reasons. One of my favourites is being able to tweak the route planning to suit your driving style

Its worth getting the free one first and try it out. Free one doesnt give you 3d view or hd voice but you can at least have a play with it and see whats what

Also worth checking out the settings, quite a lot of comments about its failings are down to the settings not being adjusted for the device its running on - main one being power settings and map views

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We use CoPilot on a Hudl 2 successfully although still not up to the old MS Autoroute in my opinion. No problem with the Hudl charging using a genuine Hudl USB adapter in the 12v socket. Unfortunately I think it is not possible to get the genuine adapter since Tesco stopped selling the Hudl. I have both the original short power lead and a long version which is much thicker and was supplied with the adapter I think.

Re CoPilot, can anyone tell me how to remove custom POIs and their Icon. I have read various help sites but still not managed to remove the custom additions completely, always left with the icon which I created incorrectly. All I really want to do is correct the icon.

Rod

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I've a samsung tablet with a holder bought off ebay.I've been using NavMii free and find it very good using rv/lorry route option its every bit as good if not better in some cases as my garmin.An odd advert when first starting up but easily closed and a small unobtrusive add to the top of the page which can be removed for a small sum ,£1.49 .

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
I've not had Copilot long but it chose better routes than our Garmin leaving UK and thro France. No problem keeping Nexus 7 charged from 12v usb but have shut down other apps.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I stick with my Chinese satnav since the Garmin took us onto the peripherique in April, did nearly 3000 miles on that trip and it never put a foot wrong.

Hymie.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Copilot Live. And strangely I'm just loading it on to a new phone I bought especially for it to use on my bike. The last phone it was on let me down in Italy a couple of weeks ago, it overheated.

I've used it over tens years, can't fault it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We use CoPilot on a Hudl 2 successfully although still not up to the old MS Autoroute in my opinion. No problem with the Hudl charging using a genuine Hudl USB adapter in the 12v socket. Unfortunately I think it is not possible to get the genuine adapter since Tesco stopped selling the Hudl. I have both the original short power lead and a long version which is much thicker and was supplied with the adapter I think.

Re CoPilot, can anyone tell me how to remove custom POIs and their Icon. I have read various help sites but still not managed to remove the custom additions completely, always left with the icon which I created incorrectly. All I really want to do is correct the icon.

Rod
I think the icon, probably something.bmp will be found in the save folder or the users folder. If you cannot delete it or that does not kill it then just delete the POI set folder in the user folder and add the POI set again with the new .bmp and boot copilot. If the old.bmp and importantly the category remain you may need to create a new category with a slightly different name as you go through the install POI set at boot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back