Has anyone done this....? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Was seeing some friends that we hadn't seen for a while yesterday and she told us that a few weeks ago she lent her camper van to her grown up son for a week away,

On return of the van he said that there was something wrong with it and that he had put petrol in it on the way back and that the gauge wasn't working and by the time he got back to hers if was coughing and spluttering, so thinking that it had picked up some dirt from the tank they filled it up and the gauge worked fine and gave it a good run and all was fine and could not find a leak from the tank and the gauge was working ok so put it down to a glitch......

However, a few days later she was in the van and turned on the water tap.........

Yup you've guessed it......

He had filled up the water tank with petrol, it's now in the garage and their doing their best trying to flush it out...!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
heard of a few tales like this with diesel in fresh water tank.... .. flushing will never clean it out...

petrol 'MAY' be easier.. but short of buying a new tank and replacing the pipes and pump.. I doubt the water will ever be 'taste free' again ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Know of an occasion when a popular Motorhome magazine were reviewing a new model lent to them for an article in the mag - you have guessed it, their reviewer did exactly the same and it cost them a bucket load to repair. You would expect the so called 'professionals' to know better.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Know of an occasion when a popular Motorhome magazine were reviewing a new model lent to them for an article in the mag - you have guessed it, their reviewer did exactly the same and it cost them a bucket load to repair. You would expect the so called 'professionals' to know better.
they are not proffesional caravanners they are profesional journalist's probably went to shotgun weekly for his next job

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Actually @mitzimad, the person in question had been with the mag for sometime and had reviewed several MH's before this incident. However I do recall that I thought some of the staff shouldn't be allowed out with a bike let alone a new MH!!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Oh no! What an absolute bummer.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
In answer to your question .... AS IF!!! ;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Id never lend my MH to anyone - haven't finished fixing it yet

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Havent had the same problem. But have had previous problems in the past regarding lending the kids my camper, caravan, folding camper.
1. Made a bong out of my folding camper in their teen years. Years later they owned up as the strange smell.
2. The morning after a night bbq, they put the rubbish under the caravan. By afternoon I was mostly burnt out.
3. They didn't know to remove the plastic around the glass of a paraffin lamp. It caught fire, awning went up.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no way to remove petrochemical contamination from the water system.
New tank
New pump
new taps
new pipes
new fittings
if very unlucky new water heater too

insurance claim is my advice if you cant do it yourself

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
no way to remove petrochemical contamination from the water system.
New tank
New pump
new taps
new pipes
new fittings
if very unlucky new water heater too

insurance claim is my advice if you cant do it yourself
That's a lot of £ . That child should loose same amount of £ from his inheritance?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Pity he didn't think it ran on scotch. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back