Motorway Toll Tags – and I get a rollicking! (1 Viewer)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I decided to get an ATMB Toll tag for this year's trip into France.

The tags were on offer earlier this year at €3.60 for each month, or part month, they were used and no other payments for any other part of the year.

We went on the 3rd of July and came back on the 31st so the tag was only being used during one month.

No more searching for the purse or wallet, card or cash, no more winding the passenger window down to let the rain or the wind in, no pulling the wing mirror back to avoid banging it on the booth approach, no more taking off the passenger seatbelt and the driver having to stop within a passenger's arm reach of the machine, no more leaning out of the window and retrieving the card and putting the receipt in a 'safe' place, no more fastening the seatbelt, winding the window up and then down again to push out the wing mirror the passenger had forgotten to do, no more waiting in the 'wrong' queue for minutes at a time as someone at the front of the queue struggled to pay - and everything would be tickety boo.

And it was absolutely perfect at each and every toll booth – straight up to the barrier, a 'beep' sound from the tag, the barrier rises and off we go leaving all those who'd just sailed passed us minutes before waiting to get through the booths.

Oh, yes, the rollicking?

SWMBO said on the second day of the holiday, with that look and tone of voice many of you may be familiar with your own better halves -

“Why didn't you get one of these tags years ago?”

You can't bl**dy win, can you?

Here's the video - for best quality picture click on the 'cog' at bottom right of video and select 720pHD -

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Riveting stuff get some popcorn in!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The tags were on offer earlier this year at €3.60 for each month, or part month, they were used and no other payments for any other part of the year.

I'm not sure what this means, is the €3.60 the tag hire then your CC gets hit with the toll ?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks for sharing Keith. Very educational - will be useful to many newbies considering using this system.

Unfortunately, no use if you are over 3500kg, like me. Also, I understand you need to be no more than 3 metres high.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Yes they're great, but when you come across one of the ones you can go through at :h:0 Kph it's really exciting :)

Andrew

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Wouldn't it be a really good idea if ALL the toll chargers were singing off the same hymn sheet. If you could load a Tag and use it throughout Europe, I'd be in like a shot.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
where do you buy the tag? Is the toll charges the same if you use one? thanks

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Broken Link Removed If you don't need it right away they normally give them away some time round about May/June that's when I got mine 3 years ago they were running the same promotion this year it save the 20 euro subscription charge, both me and our friends who got one the same time have never had the pay a annual fee just the single 1.60 euro charge on top of the normal toll charges for the months we use the tag.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
where do you buy the tag? Is the toll charges the same if you use one? thanks

This is the official UK site of Sanef

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

You can get it from them but it's worth looking around a bit as there are sometimes some deals around.

We got ours via Eurotunnel on an offer where the application and admin fees were waived.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
This is the official UK site of Sanef

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

You can get it from them but it's worth looking around a bit as there are sometimes some deals around.

We got ours via Eurotunnel on an offer where the application and admin fees were waived.
Same as me ,seems it will a great asset for solo motorhomeing

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
take a look at "Easy Trip" - it's one os those where you only pay a standing charge in the month that you use it.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Broken Link Removed If you don't need it right away they normally give them away some time round about May/June that's when I got mine 3 years ago they were running the same promotion this year it save the 20 euro subscription charge, both me and our friends who got one the same time have never had the pay a annual fee just the single 1.60 euro charge on top of the normal toll charges for the months we use the tag.
the pricing is all in French. how do I get the English version?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My fault - should have said easytrip.fr

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Thanks for sharing Keith. Very educational - will be useful to many newbies considering using this system.

Unfortunately, no use if you are over 3500kg, like me. Also, I understand you need to be no more than 3 metres high.
Damn so if u over 3500kg you have to pay as you go or is there a different tag scheme?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
i have purchased this one because everything translates to english. I think the other one is cheaper, but even using chrome doesnt translate everything when it comes to filling in the form

That is so typical of the French, expecting everyone to speak their language in their country. :whistle:

But glad you have it sorted, I don't understand why people who regularly use French motorways don't have tags.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Damn so if u over 3500kg you have to pay as you go or is there a different tag scheme?
Yes you have to pay as you go, if they clock you as class 3 for over 3500 kg or even class 4 for tag/tandem axle the beware the price goes up conciderably.

Martin

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
And the price has already gone up considerably (75% or so) from class 1 to 2.

We had a tag anyway for our cars so take it in the MH just in case but don't want to use it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

In practice you will not be detected as class 3 if you are under 3 metres high regardless of weight.

We are well over 3500kg but have only ever been charged as class 2 both without a tag and with one.

The other thing to remember is that the tag is registered to you personally to be used in whatever vehicle you happen to be travelling in. Sanef do not hold specific vehicle details. They even provide extra mounting brackets to make it easy to switch your tag between vehicles. The tag is a payment method, nothing more, it doesn't guarantee, or even make it more likely, that you will be detected as a particular class.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a tag and tow a trailer we are only charged class two and never had a problem with it we are under 3m but over 3500kg.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I am just touching 3m if u measure to height if folded sat dish...
Are there 3m height barriers? As would not want to test it lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back