Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Back in August I got a letter from the CC informing me that they could not take the coming years subscription from my credit card because it has expired. This suited me because I had decided to cancel my membership. I should have written and cancelled but was too lazy. I figured that if I am not paying they will get the message that I did not want to renew. As the club only held out of date debit card details, I assumed that they could not take any money!

They then bombarded me with lots of letters reminding me of all the benefits staying with the club (I can't think of any right now) most of these letters went in the bin without being read. Luckily a letter I received today didn't go straight in the bin, in the letter was the following paragraph :Doh:
The club has now subscribed to a service provided by Visa and MasterCard whereby they will provide a monthly update to the club's record via a secure method. This will ensure that we have members most recent car details and will facilitate the ongoing collection of payment. We have now received current details of your new card and will charge you with your 2009 annual membership fee within the coming week. :Eeek:
Essentially this means that VISA are selling to the Caravan club details of your new credit card, I wonder who else they will sell this information to. :Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We tryed the CC for a year but didn't like them so kicked into touch.

We have often use the expired card thing as a lazy solution to stopping renwals, so, thanks for that, could have costed us in the future as I bin EVERYTHING I can't be doing with!

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Cheeky ba*****
thats outrageous.
:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Essentially this means that VISA are selling to the Caravan club details of your new credit card, I wonder who else they will sell this information to. :Eeek:

Time to kick up a fuss.

But I'll bet somewhere in the small print you have to opt out of this "service" or somewhere you did not tick/untick a box that authorised this.

All insurance renewals we've done lately, changing suppliers for best price, clearly state "to help you we will automatically renew next year". Yeh, right, so good of you, I should pay you extra for this.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I am slowly getting rid of all my credit cards etc. That sort of CR@P makes me even more determined to do so.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I am slowly getting rid of all my credit cards etc. That sort of CR@P makes me even more determined to do so.

I totally agree. I have got down to one debit card. Trouble is it is almost impossible these days to manage without any. :Doh:

Almost possible but very very difficult.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[/INDENT]Essentially this means that VISA are selling to the Caravan club details of your new credit card, I wonder who else they will sell this information to. :Eeek:

It may be worth asking them Jim.

As Brian says, it is probably something you have to opt out of. Credit card companies are usually on the ball when it comes to data protection.

Graham

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Absolutely outrageous!!

Since i had my ID stolen a few years ago i only use a prepay card, add to it online when i want to buy something rest of the time leave just a few pounds on it, not full proof but a couple of times i have had renewals try to go through for things and they have bounced and therefore reminded me to cancel.

i use Need a Prepaid Credit Card? Get a new Prepaid MasterCard from MyCashPlus, a pay as you go credit card. its a proper chip and pin mastercard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for that important info Jim.

i'm in exactly the same circumstances as you, even to the month.

i couldnt be arsed to write/ring either thinking the same as you.

suppose id better ring and cancel unless its all gone through.

have to look through my statements.:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thanks for this Jim

I would check with Visa and ask under what legislation they have given your new card details to the Caravan Club as they have obligations under the freedom of information act, human rights act and data protection act that must be met.

Let us know how you get on.

xxxxx

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i did read somewhere that a direct debit credit card transaction can only be stopped by informing the payee in writing.

withholding/stopping payment doesnt cancel it.

wish id remembered this useless bit of drivel earlier.

just checked my statements and it was paid on 6th oct.

do you have a 14 day 'cooling off' period with a subsiquent annual direct debit payment as you do when first buying ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for this Jim

I would check with Visa and ask under what legislation they have given your new card details to the Caravan Club as they have obligations under the freedom of information act, human rights act and data protection act that must be met.

Let us know how you get on.

xxxxx
Just retrieved my old Regulatory Officer hat from the bottom of the wardrobe :Smile:

It's actually only the DPA which the CC and other companies have obligations under. FoI and HRA apply only to public organisations :Smile:

I'm sure the CC and/or Visa will be able to point to the relevant terms/conditions of their contracts but what we do when we set up a recurring credit card agreement with any company is basically the same as we do when setting up direct debits authorising companies to take money from our bank accounts. There is no real difference because it is only the credit card itself which expires and is replaced. The credit card account endures just as a bank account does when a debit card expires and is replaced. However, when setting up the recurring agreement we don't limit it by saying that it will expire when the card is replaced. We have, therefore, given the company concerned the right to debit our card accounts until we say stop, no matter how often our cards are replaced. That includes permission to use our personal data as necessary for that purpose.

I would expect that when the CC say "We have now received current details of your new card" all they have received is confirmation that the card account which was registered for the recurring payment agreement is still live.

The fact that Visa & Mastercard have now set up their systems to mean that card replacements no longer disrupt such arrangements could be argued by them and the companies involved (and, no doubt, many customers) as simply providing better support for the contracts made between companies and their customers.

Graham

little jack

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
Funster No
Also, cancelling the card wont stop the payment.
With a credit card only cancelling the payment with the supplier will stop the money being taken - and that needs the supplier to stop asking the card supplier for payment. I seem to remember an i.s.p (was it AOL?) for being in trouble a couple of years back for failing to cancel payment demabds against credit cards.
You lose all control of your money with this type of payment, which is presumably why so many firms like it!

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
we learnt this lesson a while ago when we tried to cancel a direct debit held against a credit card, now totally refuse to entertain anything other than one-off payments; all direct debits go against the bank account - you have much more control.
we never did get a satisfactory reason as to why it was different with credit cards

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unless there are specific contract terms involved there should really be no difference in cancelling payment arrangements from either credit card or bank account.

As Little Jack mentioned, there have been instances of certain companies (mainly American owned if memory serves) which have made things difficult for people in the past but that should not occur now.

The main thing with any contract is to make sure you know what you are getting into. Similarly with giving permission for use of your personal data, make sure you understand exactly what you are agreeing to. If you are not sure of either, ask questions before signing up.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
do you have a 14 day 'cooling off' period with a subsiquent annual direct debit payment as you do when first buying ?
The applicable legislation is the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 and the "cooling off" period required by law is 7 days rather than 14.

I had a look at the DSR to refresh my memory and (as I thought) as far as I can see the period applies only to the first contact. When you think about it, unless you have signed up for something like a mobile phone contract where there will be several (e.g. monthly) direct debits taken over the life of the contract, there is ample opportunity to cancel subsequent payments.

Just struck me that something like a mobile phone contract is one which can run on if you don't cancel it. I checked up on my T-Mobile mobile dongle contract (which ends in February) a couple of weeks ago and had it confirmed that I had to give at least 30 days notice or it would be renewed on a monthly basis and the direct debits would continue.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The applicable legislation is the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 and the "cooling off" period required by law is 7 days rather than 14.

Bugger !!!!!

thats my time up then.....no-one there now to take my cancellation.:Doh::cry:

looks like im stuck with it for another year.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bugger !!!!!

thats my time up then.....no-one there now to take my cancellation.:Doh::cry:

looks like im stuck with it for another year.

Never mind John. If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will let you have a visa to leave Yorkshire and enter England so that you can visit a few CC sites :ROFLMAO:

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never mind John. If you ask nicely I'm sure somebody will let you have a visa to leave Yorkshire and enter England so that you can visit a few CC sites :ROFLMAO:

Graham

CARAVAN CLUB SITES !!!!!!!!

do you think i'm made of money :Eeek:::bigsmile:

Englands border control with yarksher is so lax its easy to visit foriegn towns without a visa/passport......its getting back into yarksher that presents a problem.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I totally agree. I have got down to one debit card. Trouble is it is almost impossible these days to manage without any. :Doh:

Yes, only one card here and you're right it is difficult, especially if you spend a good part of each year abroad.

I don't think I'll be renewing my CC membership this year either (Only joined last year :winky:) I am just so glad I paid by cheque

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Englands border control with yarksher is so lax its easy to visit foriegn towns without a visa/passport......its getting back into yarksher that presents a problem.[/I][/B]

Course it is!!! We're in a recession. Dust that think NHS is made o' brass that it can treat folks who 'ave that serious an illness :roflmto:

Graham

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looks like I had a lucky escape

After several months of buckets of spam email and hard copy letters trying to flog me insurance for this and that I started to complain louder and louder

In the end I was told that I have been blackballed from the CC !!

Due to certain circumstances I was going to rejoin for one more year but my membership application was rejected .. All I can say is what a result :ROFLMAO:

Questions are:

1) Am I the only person to be turned down I wonder ??

2) Will I go down in history as the only person to be ejected from a caravan club

3) and is this a bad thing ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back