Fiat Ducato locking system does not recognise doors closed (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have a Fiat Duacto 2015 build PVC. Our problem is that the locking system does not recognise that the doors are shut. It seems to require multiple opening and slamming shut of the doors, front and side and rear.
This is most annoying to us and to fellow campers when on site late at night, all ready for bed and cannot lock the system. Out we get in the PJs (well himself, not me) and go round slamming the doors again.
Is this a common problem for Fiats (never had it with VW T4 or any car)?
Is it something we could get seen to under warranty?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Get it seen to under warranty.

From your post it looks like it's not just one door so unlikely to just be a mucky sensor.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Not a common problem with fiats ,just seems a problem with your alarm ,contact your dealer and they should help.Hope its not brownbills.lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Riverbankannie,

are you sure it is all the doors causing the problem. The reason I say this is we have a PVC and sometimes have an issue with the closing of the main sliding door. It's very difficult to close properly from the inside. Piece of cake from the outside though. It can look as if it's closed properly but the central locking/alarm won't function until it is.

Cheers
Alan

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have an Adria Ducato PVC and The build quality is such that the doors sometimes struggle to shut with the inside air pressure.
If we leave the top vent/s open the problem does not occur.
Try this or keep slamming.
Phil

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Hi Riverbankannie,

we have a PVC and sometimes have an issue with the closing of the main sliding door. It's very difficult to close properly from the inside. Piece of cake from the outside though. It can look as if it's closed properly but the central locking/alarm won't function until it is.
Isn't it just (difficult from inside). Particularly for my wife who is a diddy (but very cute). But she also has trouble opening from outside unless she is on steps, the van didn't come with automatic steps.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Isn't it just (difficult from inside). Particularly for my wife who is a diddy (but very cute). But she also has trouble opening from outside unless she is on steps, the van didn't come with automatic steps.

I was talking to another IH owner who has a van identical to ours. I asked him how he got on with the sliding door. "Easy" he said. He fitted a handled in the middle of the inside of the door. This allows him to pull in and slide at the same time and works a treat. I've added this to my ToDo list.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi everyone, thanks for replies.
It is not just the sliding door, the rear door is main culprit as well as the cab doors. It means that we have to open and slam all of them as we never know which one. The sliding door can be a problem as well of course due to its weight.
I was talking to another IH owner who has a van identical to ours. I asked him how he got on with the sliding door. "Easy" he said. He fitted a handled in the middle of the inside of the door. This allows him to pull in and slide at the same time and works a treat. I've added this to my ToDo list.
Would be interested in seeing how you fit your extra handle. Is there enough space so that it doesn't foul when fully opened?
Ours is IH too by the way but problem with Fiat locking although the alarm cannot be set if the locking system cannot be set.

I think I will ask for it to be checked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like a slightly misaligned door contact switch on the sliding door. if the problem is with a front or rear (hinged) door it will be a misaligned or bent pressure switch. all easy enough to adjust

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I only find sliding door difficult when on slope - hubby likes to sleep "head up" which means a bit of extra oomph required to open but it closes with extra speed. Luckily I am not diddy !

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
sounds like a slightly misaligned door contact switch on the sliding door. if the problem is with a front or rear (hinged) door it will be a misaligned or bent pressure switch. all easy enough to adjust
Good to know, thanks

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Had a similar prob on one of the sliding doors on a Fiat Doblo car, it kept insisting that it was not shut.

Solved it by superglueing a small piece of felt pad (the sort that goes on the foot of a chair leg) onto the male part of the sensor (in my case it's on the door) and bingo! OK so it only lasted a year but then I did the same again.

I already both some pads and the glue (doesn't everyone?) so minimal cost - maybe worth a try?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
one of the advantage of powered doors, is that they do shut quietly but they also go wrong. Take it back to the dealer or alarm fitter.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Keep the two tongues on the front edge of the sliding door sprayed with some dry lube and it closes much easyer

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Its the rear doors on mine that cause the same problem, I blame the bike rack I fitted but can't see any sign of any sensor or push button fitting to clean or adjust.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have the 'soft closing' sliding door - you shut it then it does the final pulling-in tight itself so no banging needed, however whilst this works fine we did have a problem with the sensor at the rear of the door - there's a bit that sticks out and if it doesn't make contact sufficiently with the other part it doesn't think it's properly closed hence won't lock etc. I used a small 'blob' on it when waiting for the dealer to fix it, and it did work for a while after they'd adjusted with it, but it occasionally plays up so I keep a supply of blobs with me just in case! I think it sometimes is affected by heat which can make the contact greater/smaller so causing issues at times.

As for the rear doors - you do have to give them a good slam to make sure they shut tightly, I put this down to them having better rubbers on them than earlier Fiats so need more force to squish the rubber to get the door to catch properly, the cab doors can be the same ... you can't be toooooo gentle with them I'm afraid.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A blob .. in my case a little sticky backed felt pad ... only a few mm deep and about 1cm diameter, as it's just what I had already - it's from one of the Pound shop multi-packs of pads of various sizes, meant for the bottom of ornaments, vases, furniture etc.

Similar to these:

209-4810_PI_TPS818489

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok, thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Famous last words but ours is an Ih Fiat and although we need to have a second go at slamming the doors occasionally it's not common and never with the cab doors. I'd get it looked at.

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We have difficulty in closing the sliding door from the inside so that the lock will work. One thing i’m unsure about is where I should be holding the door, The handle just doesn’t seem right or robust.

Mike28coralcove

Free Member
Mar 3, 2018
Funster No
We have a Fiat Duacto 2015 build PVC. Our problem is that the locking system does not recognise that the doors are shut. It seems to require multiple opening and slamming shut of the doors, front and side and rear.
This is most annoying to us and to fellow campers when on site late at night, all ready for bed and cannot lock the system. Out we get in the PJs (well himself, not me) and go round slamming the doors again.
Is this a common problem for Fiats (never had it with VW T4 or any car)?
Is it something we could get seen to under warranty?

This is the problem. I did it yesterday and it worked.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The side door sensor not connecting (sometimes) is a really common fault on this van.

I had it all the time. When going to lock it wouldn't. A quick "bum bump" on the back of the sliding door and fine. To fix the issue I did the same as in the video above (worked).

Deleted User
This is the problem. I did it yesterday and it worked.

Fixed mine the same way last year, no problems since. Also used a bit of foam usually used on the feet of dining chairs cut down to fit

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We have an Adria Ducato PVC and The build quality is such that the doors sometimes struggle to shut with the inside air pressure.
If we leave the top vent/s open the problem does not occur.
Try this or keep slamming.
Phil

glad its not just us then!, if window or vent open no probs, otherwise side door a bitch to shut properly!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
also, if you set the alarm / lock van with keyfob middle button, then only unlock rear / habdoor using bottom button, when you press the internal lock door button it doesnt work first time, we have to press it twice, odd, but once i discovered that was the 'problem' no issues, i thought we werent shutting the hab door properly, so slammed several times - sorry neighbours!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back