Underfloor layout (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Hello all, does anyone know if it is possible to obtain a layout drawing of the underfloor arrangement, ie exactly what is in the double bottom of an RMB. I'm exploring possibility of fitting an AC unit down there if there is room. Saw this arrangement on a Variomobil recently and it would solve the existing problem I have with fitting a roof mounted unit.
(Incidentally the german owners of this variomobil (on same chassis as mine) had done Tierra del Fuego to Alaska and Germany to Singapore in it... Now THAT's motorhoming big style!!

Problem I've got with a roof mounted unit is two fold -
1) increase in height, I'm already at 3.3m
2) The kickup in the roof stops me fitting a Freshjet 2200 directly without some sort of spacer into the 400 x 400 rooflight above the kitchen.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Knowing full well that many folk can not even get the recomended location for fixing bike racks to back panels
from any reliable source i would say your on a hiding to nothing in your quest
Will the Manf (the only real source of such info) not give you any insight ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Hi @Geo, you are probably right, but sometimes out there there is someone who just happens to have some piece of esoteric info. The previous owner is trying to get something out of a couple of ex RMB guys in Germany but nil so far. Wonder if our Chief Engineer will mind if I borrow his main engine endoscope for a trip??:D

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I looked at these for our previous mh, they use a lot less power than a roof mounted and circulate the air better.

But was advised that it was very difficult to retrofit, because you need to be a ble to get the ducts through at high level because cold air falls.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Underfloor plans may not be distributed as you Funsters would only use them to smuggle even more undesirables into UK.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

I would guess that you would need to find the specific layout for your vehicle as I imagine that the RMB was rather hand built at the time rather like a Vario where no two will be the same. Do you not have enough access and floor hatches to work it out for yourself, after all if you want to fit a air con in the space you will need to get to the space to work.

Martin

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi @Geo, you are probably right, but sometimes out there there is someone who just happens to have some piece of esoteric info. The previous owner is trying to get something out of a couple of ex RMB guys in Germany but nil so far. Wonder if our Chief Engineer will mind if I borrow his main engine endoscope for a trip??:D
Good Luck
They respond quite well to the dripping water technique ;)
G

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@funflair, I was trying to avoid having dismantle stuff to get a view of the space available, there is limited viewing from the various hatches but insufficient to determine what space there is. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet, or I may wimp out and get the guys at Hertkorn & Kolbel in Bad Wladsee to tackle the whole thing next time we are passing.

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I looked at these for our previous mh, they use a lot less power than a roof mounted and circulate the air better.
But was advised that it was very difficult to retrofit, because you need to be a ble to get the ducts through at high level because cold air falls.

Or.. I could use this approach...
upload_2016-8-2_15-48-38.png

:)
Actually having seen how the Vario was done I have a planned route for the high level pipe

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have both the ceiling mounted air con and the floor mounted higher capacity fitted. The roof mount will run on batteries without exhausting them the larger 'Sapphire' needs EHU to operate.

The underfloor is quieter and more powerful and the air duct is up the back of one of the seats making the curtains flap and freeze.

This won't help you measure the underfloor area though I do have a usb camera for inspecting underfloor areas, cheap on ebay, reaches 2 or 3 metres, I was mentioning it in case you needed to see it in situ or measurements.

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@Popeye Now that was a useful post, cheers. That was sort of how I was planning the air duct. On the Vario they had used one of the overhead lockers as an air distributor with eyeball vents. Actually the aircon isnt for us its the cat and dog when we aren't in the van. I'm interested that the roof unit will run on batteries can I ask how big a van and what the capacity of your aircon is?
As an alternative for the occasional use (I'm not planning on Spain etc in summer..) I was looking at the double unit which hangs out of a window. Low capacity but with the RMB's insulation and blinds etc, might be viable

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back