Unable to contact Mirror Guard (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
I ordered some mirror guards from these people in Taunton - BEWARE! - they have never arrived. I have received no email confirmation for my purchase, yet the money went from my card instantly. They have not responded to any emails or text messages I have sent and their phone goes to answering machine now and the mail box is full. Managed one message before it was full.
It is a shame, but having dealt online for many years, this is the first time I have been caught out and I am saddened that these people are out there.
Now reporting to trading standards.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
MirrorGuards by the looks of it. Run out of a private address near Taunton.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Oh dear, this doesn't sound too good as I've also placed an order with them recently and awaiting delivery of my order, which I had expected to have received due to paying a £10 carriage charge!:(

I'm glad I purchased with a credit card!!

Can any previous buyers advise how long they had to wait before receiving their order?

Edit: I should have mentioned I did receive a confirmation of my order via email.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Sorry, yes it is the one in Wellington, and I did use the website suggested. I also luckily used a credit card and have reported it now. Looks like another small business down the pan.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We met them at a show and then ordered some online last May, they arrived with no problem.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry, yes it is the one in Wellington, and I did use the website suggested. I also luckily used a credit card and have reported it now. Looks like another small business down the pan.
When did you place your order?

I personally placed mine last Wednesday, I know with smaller businesses mail order can be an operational nightmare, especially if they are attending shows. However, this doesn't give them excuse not to advise their customers of the situation on their website or via an automated email once an order is placed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you're getting ahead of yourself here!

You didn't get a confirmation email ... sometimes they just go off into the ether, maybe there's a glitch or you could simply have typed your email address incorrectly, its easy to do!

It could be that they are on holiday, or away at a show etc and are currently trawling through the massive amount of messages/emails they've had in the meantime. We tend to expect quick responses nowadays but sometimes that not possible for a variety of reasons.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't trading now as they have a good reputation.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Well I hope they are just on holiday - but it isn't really good business not to reply to any of my numerous communications, or to at least have that information on the answering machine. I have been chatting with other members from this forum as they have journeyed up through France and into Belgium, so there is no real excuse for poor communication nowadays, if they are still in business.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not unusual for small businesses to continue trading right up to the day they quit.
A tenant farmer locally started an off road driving business in the local forest.
He got temp planning consent and fought for five years to get full consent....which he eventually won.
He was still taking membership subs of £125pa and Daily access fees right up to the day he disappeared and emigrated to NewZealand.
Even his mechanics knew nothing until they turned up for work to find he had gone....with their paypackets and the newly enrolled members subs.
He abandoned his fleet of suzuki jeeps, a unimog and the farm for the farm owner to sort out.
The actual trails closed by default.
Never been heard of since.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
I think you're getting ahead of yourself here!

You didn't get a confirmation email ... sometimes they just go off into the ether, maybe there's a glitch or you could simply have typed your email address incorrectly, its easy to do!

It could be that they are on holiday, or away at a show etc and are currently trawling through the massive amount of messages/emails they've had in the meantime. We tend to expect quick responses nowadays but sometimes that not possible for a variety of reasons.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't trading now as they have a good reputation.

Agreed - but but I have sent 3 emails to them, left a voice message and sent 3 texts, the chances are I got my email address and phone number correct at least once:)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Sounds like they are on holiday or having a few days off on their way back from the last show. They have the best product available and have served many of us quite satisfactorily over the years. I think that this is a small business issue and they will be back soon to sort it out. If you have paid by credit card you will be protected so don't panic too soon.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
To be honest could never understand the point in buying them.
If the mirror gets whacked, it is GONE.
Might save scratches etc to original, but the guard gets scratched!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've been to the workshop in Taunton, its a large professionally set up workshop and his house is nearby but he's certainly not working out of it. I know Paul casually and I've no reason to doubt his honesty. Web order money is always taken immediately, but there are plenty of reasons why he might not have yet seen your order. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take orders with no intention of filling them, so I'd give him another 24 hours before you panic proper.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have seen a discussion similar to this one on another forum concerning Mirror Guards, some time ago. I must so it is a strange way to run a business - small or otherwise.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thennuke
I've been to the workshop in Taunton, its a large professionally set up workshop and his house is nearby but he's certainly not working out of it. I know Paul casually and I've no reason to doubt his honesty. Web order money is always taken immediately, but there are plenty of reasons why he might not have yet seen your order. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take orders with no intention of filling them, so I'd give him another 24 hours before you panic proper.
Then nuke them from outer space :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Best product of its type with a good reputation & having seen how hard they work at the shows can't imagine their business just folding.

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
To be honest could never understand the point in buying them.
If the mirror gets whacked, it is GONE.
Might save scratches etc to original, but the guard gets scratched!
I was hoping that the foam mounting would maybe cushion some impact, but I guess I will never know now.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Before you explode check your spam filter, loads of commercial replies end up in mine when I ask for something.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The biggest holiday fortnight in the UK and rather than give a few days to see what happens 'TRADING STANDARDS' are called.
I'm so glad your not a customer of mine.
I have bought from them without issue and also similar traders that work effectively as a cottage industry (Taylormade screens)
UNTIL you KNOW that they have TAKEN YOUR MONEY, you should really be thinking that such statements could be mistaken and DAMAGING to a business that has had a GOOD REPUTATION.
Shameful

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Before you explode check your spam filter, loads of commercial replies end up in mine when I ask for something.
Good advice there's always something in there that shouldn't be (y)

Reactions: f6c

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That may be true but it is a bit strange to say the least that a professionally run business only gives a private address and only a mobile number as contact. It is a good product, though. Had them on the last van and they worked well in an encounter with WVM causing only a scar on the cover and no damage to the mirror. Looked good as well

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That may be true but it is a bit strange to say the least that a professionally run business only gives a private address and only a mobile number as contact.

Strange! Rather thats the practice of most every 1 man company I've ever known.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The biggest holiday fortnight in the UK and rather than give a few days to see what happens 'TRADING STANDARDS' are called.
I'm so glad your not a customer of mine.
I have bought from them without issue and also similar traders that work effectively as a cottage industry (Taylormade screens)
UNTIL you KNOW that they have TAKEN YOUR MONEY, you should really be thinking that such statements could be mistaken and DAMAGING to a business that has had a GOOD REPUTATION.
Shameful
If a company is going on holiday, they should have an automated system to tell customers.

Anything less is just bloody plain rude. And they deserve shaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back