cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thought about it, but decided that April onwards things will open up and be more interesting, so I'm going to Portugal for winter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
to be honest you may find sicily too cold especially end dec /jan. i did. its quitehigh up from the tropic of cancer if you look on an atlas. it only about level with bottom of spain and the weather is no better.not trying to put you off but be prepared . i made the mistake one year and thought it would be warmer ,even ferry to tunisia is no good as its no better either. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Sicily is fine for overwintering and a fascinating place to visit whether you like sea or mountains (including Etna of course) cities or wild country and is stuffed full of World Heritage sites that enable you to understand its amazing history.

Some parts in the west around Trapani are closer to Africa those in the east sophisticated resorts (Taormina). The people are welcoming and there are plenty of sites to stay on or places to wild camp. The scenery is diverse and amazing.

The weather is not generally as good as Spain. You can choose to stay in one place - Cefalu in the North or Punta Braccetto in the Southeast are probably the best. (I preferred Cefalu.)

Here's some info I put out for an earlier enquiry:

OK here we go - a few ideas:

When you come off the ferry you can turn right and go along the north coast or south and along the east coast towards Catania. There are motorways in both directions and it might be advisable to take the motorway at first. Just have to thread your way through town first - it's busy but doable.

We went south but the nicest campsite is Rais Gerbi on the north coast at Finale near Cefalu - its on the right as you leave in a westerly direction N38.02225 E14.15489 say hello to Rosalba.

If you go south to Catania then Camping Jonio is most peoples choice it's north of Catania N37.53277 E15.11951 and can be expensive for short stays if you don't belong to ASCI. You can bus into Catania.

If you want to break the journey before Catania then stop at Camping La Focetta Sicula at Alessio Siculo N37.93104 E15.35612.

Inbetween the two Taormina is worth visiting if you can park - they don't ley MHs park at the top - we know of people who overnighted in the car park of the funiculare and on the coast.

For Etna - you can go up by 4x4 or cable car (personal preference 4x4) - quite expensive and overnight in the Refugio Sapienza car park - make sure your heating is working! This is where you can ascend from.

If you want a campsite Camping Etna at Nicolosi N37.62262 E15.00869 is about half way up to the Refugio.

I recommend visiting Siracusa and there is a Sosta right in the centre of town with all facilities and easy road access and short walk to the Archeological sites, museum and somewhat further to Ortygia - but worth it. Parcheggio Von Platen, Via Augusto Von Platen N37.07674 E15.28735

From Siracusa you can get to Noto (The Golden City) by train and its worth it. Otherwise drive there and look for Noto Parking - its signposted from most directions but is small although I'm sure Michele or one of his sisters will help you park. It has electric and a new but one/two person toilet block, good dump and outside showere BRRR!
It's in a lemon grove -when you arrive it will be closed just telephone (328 8065260 380 5058898 320 9778979 340 7058151) the number is by the gate or hang around - word seems to get to them somehow. One of the family will drive you to town and pick you up again. Say hello to Michele for me. N36.88369 E15.08525

On the South East coast a lot of folks (mainly German/Swiss) with large vans aim for Punta Broccetto N36.81742 E14.46661 (sorry can't remember the name of the site) - its the neatest cleanest site you'll find (own toilet facilities) but without transport that's it - a beachside site little else in easy reach.

Agrigento - worth a visit for the ruins - camping Vallei dei Templei should be easy for you N37.26963 E13.58306

Secca Grande and Camping Kameni N37.43843 E13.24530 will have room for you amongst there small number of pitches but its only good for an overnighter.

Marinella-Selinunte - we thought the remains here better than Agrigento - there's a road behind the car park where we wild camped along with a Swiss couple - police came by never bothered it's a very quiet village out os season N37.58299 E12.83525

There's a nice site at Petrosina - take the coast road - camping Biscione N37.70127 E12.47794 - we were the only ones on it for Christmas - they gave us the keys - phone if you need anything. Nice family - there's one restaurant in the village - good place to relax.

Do try and run up the West coast to Trapani - Marsala worth a visit -we wild camped along here if you want just one spot to wild camp try the car park next to the little ferry that goes to Mothia Island - there's a couple - we used this one N37.85604 E12.47731 This is the most Arabic area of Sicily with salt pans etc.

From Trapani don't miss Erice - fantastic views - steep climb up but motorhome parking below town.

San Vito lo Capo worth a visit - lovely pensinsula - you can camp at a Sosta its on the right before you get to town N38.16212 E12.73665 don't be tempted to use one of the campsites - they are very dark in winter with lots of trees for summer shade.

The Zingaro National Park is a wonderful place you can approach from San Vito - we wild camped at the entrance - N38.12523 E12.78778 magical wild coastline or from the south near Scopello it's a narrow road but pretty with the tuns fisheries - I saw a big Hymer doing it - the village is worth a visit but only approach from the south.

For Palermo you can either camp at Camping Degi Ulivi, Via Pegaso N38.19824 E13.28051 that has trains into Palermo or, if you are brave (and we were) try Green Parking N38.10962 E13.34253 in Palermo itself - you're right in the middle of town and can walk everywhere its a sosta with electric, water dump and a single shower but has 24-hour security - we thought it excellent whereas the train journey can be a bit wearisome if you've been walking round all day. All the guidebooks say don't drive in Palermo - by the time you've driven through Italy and round Sicily it's not so bad - maybe do it on a Sunday?
Palermo kept us entertained for five days. Loads to see and if you are adventurous get off the main streets into the back alleys and see the real life. Heady mix of elegant shops, decaying palaces, amazing churches interesting people. We went everywhere and had no problems just warm welcomes.

And so your back to Cefalu (don't miss) and the Rais Gerbi camp at Finale.

I've missed a great deal of our tour out - Piazza Armerina amazing Roman Mosaics, Corleone - 193 Mafia murders, etc etc but you need to make your own discoveries. Sicily has a lot to offer - hugely varied - try and get into the inland mountains. If your there in February go to Acireale for Carnivale it's beyond description!!

Can't do anymore - it will all be in my next book!!

Hope that helps ::bigsmile:

Keith

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Morocco is certainly worth a visit, the weather may be better, and you will feel you've made a worthwhile journey.

Have you been to Sicily Brian? The comment on safety is one I don't recognise. We toured without any problems.

If there are any ladies in the party there won't be any hassle and you won't be surrounded by a bunch of kids begging whenever you stop your van so it's more relaxed.

:Smile:
Keith

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you been to Sicily Brian? The comment on safety is one I don't recognise. We toured without any problems.

No, not yet. Got as close as Sorrento so far.

I've read on the forums of bandits towards Bari. Europe on the whole is not that safe.

On our one and only Morocco trip I just had the feeling that the people were close to the basics of Islam and posed no threat.

OK we were driven mad by constant buy this, buy that or give me... but never ever in a threatening manner.

So all I was basically saying is that given the horrendous price of travel the original poster should consider Morocco for a cheaper warm winter.

OP
OP
ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Thanks, folks for the input. Especially the very full post from Keith.
We are committed to be in Rome for November so it seems easier to head on down this year but Morroco is certainly on the "Must Do" list - probably next year.
Was wondering about the thickness of clothing we might need and now I guess I know the answer to that.:thumb:
Was also wondering if there would be many Brits to swap novels with:Cool:
Thanks again
Patrick

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sicily is fine for overwintering and a fascinating place to visit whether you like sea or mountains (including Etna of course) cities or wild country and is stuffed full of World Heritage sites that enable you to understand its amazing history.

When you come off the ferry you can turn right and go along the north coast or south and along the east coast towards Catania.

Keith

Great post Keith, which ferry do you recommend for a 7.6 Mtr motorhome?

Gerry

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Gerry - the ferries run from Villa San Giovanni to Messina - just turn up and go - one of the busiest waterways in Europe - no problem on size you'll see RVs and big Artos on the sites - even saw a coach converted to a MH.

Patrick - we did see a few Brits and kept crossing tracks with them so book exchange definitely on (unfortunately my book about Sicily hasn't got to a publisher yet :roflmto:) I also think the campsite at Finale had a library with English books.

::bigsmile:
Keith

Oct 25, 2008
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Frankia FF2
Exp
since 1999
Yes Sicily for us

We are going to Sicily leaving the UK mid Feb possibly away 8 weeks, probably 3 on the Island. Hope the weather is warm but we are going for the history, scenery, people (not forgetting food and drink; although not necessarily in that order) and of course the experience of somewhere different.

We have been to Morocco in February 2008 and the weather was warm (the coast was pretty hot but we also went inland and to the desert etc). Be prepared for the real poverty that exists inland; it is very sad and the contrast of our relative wealth in the face of such conditions is difficult to take day after day. The people were friendly, welcoming and generous.

We also spent January and February 209 in Spain. The weather was warm but mostly with a cool wind. We went along the coast (Barcelona along to Mojacar and Cadiz) and also inland where - for us - we visited the highlights of Granada, Seville, Cordoba, Toledo, Aranjuez, and the windmills of La Mancha. Don't miss inland Spain! It's the best bit!

email us if you want any tips on campsites etc inland.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
"Statistically", it is only wetter and colder than some parts of Portugal, not all.

That's why we are going there, plus no chance of being fined 800 euros by unscrupulous Spanish traffic cops for towing our car

See you there

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
We are heading that way

Looks like we are heading for Sicily at the end on January as we have not been so thanks for the input so far. As for the weather if I recall it was wet in Spain, Portugal and Morroco last year and the year before was not to good either mind you I was not in Morroco

OP
OP
ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Looks like we are heading for Sicily at the end on January as we have not been so thanks for the input so far. As for the weather if I recall it was wet in Spain, Portugal and Morroco last year and the year before was not to good either mind you I was not in Morroco
We have been here for 3 weeks now. The weather has been very changeable but never below 14 during the day and mostly about 22. Some days as high as 30! Sun makes an appearance most days. Nights as low as 11 but generally about 13.
Quite a lot are swimming in the sea though a good many have wet suits on.
We are at Catania (Camping Junio) which is a bit lacking in maintenance but makes up for it with welcome and position on the edge of the sea.
Prices are good. 1 month rate at 8 euros per night without EHU (charged at .3 euros a Kw). Food is cheaper here than rest of Italy and even meals out are no more than UK.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we are. Brits are very rare here though more in the South (Scarebo) I believe. Here mostly Swedish/Dutch/German and Italians on holiday dates.
Patrick

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If anyone makes you an offer, don't refuse. :ROFLMAO:

(only joking Keith)

JJ

Am reading "Cosa Nostra" A History of the Sicilian Mafia, 1860 - 2003" by John Dickie.

Fascinating reading...

Last edited:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
We have been here for 3 weeks now. The weather has been very changeable but never below 14 during the day and mostly about 22. Some days as high as 30! Sun makes an appearance most days. Nights as low as 11 but generally about 13.
Quite a lot are swimming in the sea though a good many have wet suits on.
We are at Catania (Camping Junio) which is a bit lacking in maintenance but makes up for it with welcome and position on the edge of the sea.
Prices are good. 1 month rate at 8 euros per night without EHU (charged at .3 euros a Kw). Food is cheaper here than rest of Italy and even meals out are no more than UK.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we are. Brits are very rare here though more in the South (Scarebo) I believe. Here mostly Swedish/Dutch/German and Italians on holiday dates.
Patrick

Sounds good to me:thumb:

christine1310

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Southampton
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Winter in Sicily

Hi - Thanks for the information regarding Sicily as we are also going there - leaving on the 26th January. We usually stay on ACSI campsite so my only concern is lack of campsites open this early on the way down to Sicily. Has anyone got any info on Aree di sostas on the way down?

Christine

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Hi - Thanks for the information regarding Sicily as we are also going there - leaving on the 26th January. We usually stay on ACSI campsite so my only concern is lack of campsites open this early on the way down to Sicily. Has anyone got any info on Aree di sostas on the way down?

Christine

Hello Christine and happy new year

Try the Guida camper book this has Aree di sostas, campsites and a map of Italy in it just the same as an aires book we have used it a few times and its been ok. We where due to leave on the 24th but have had to change the dates so now we are leaving on the 8th next week wehey :Smile: now the problem is do we take our time to get there are head straight there problems problems

kenny

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back