Alarm went off at 2.00am this morning. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The alarm on my van went off and when I got out there noting was seen to be tampered or open, I reset it and went back to bed. This afternoon I checked and found that if I pulled hard at the front nearside bonnet flap ( a Hymer A class) where it is against the headlight The microswitch set the alarm off. Why should anyone do that? They can't get anything in there or is the alarm just a bit sensitive. I am just a bit paranoid as it is the only new thing I have ever had and the dearest. The only other thing is my neighbour has a long drive over the fence and his Mercedes car has a very deep exhaust note not noisy but very low frequency, can that set the ultrasound sensors in the hab area off?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm pretty sure a spider set our alarm off .. Oh yeah and the mouse deterrent thingy sets it off too

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
[QUOTE="GWAYGWAY, post: 1960324, member: ]This afternoon I checked and found that if I pulled hard at the front nearside bonnet flap [/QUOTE]

How many flaps did you need to pull to set her off? :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The alarm on my van went off and when I got out there noting was seen to be tampered or open, I reset it and went back to bed. This afternoon I checked and found that if I pulled hard at the front nearside bonnet flap ( a Hymer A class) where it is against the headlight The microswitch set the alarm off. Why should anyone do that? They can't get anything in there or is the alarm just a bit sensitive. I am just a bit paranoid as it is the only new thing I have ever had and the dearest. The only other thing is my neighbour has a long drive over the fence and his Mercedes car has a very deep exhaust note not noisy but very low frequency, can that set the ultrasound sensors in the hab area off?
Used to be a Standard crim trick, keep setting off the alarm until the owner deactivates it......then nick the vehicle!! Or maybe break in ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Reminds me of a former work colleague who had problems with her house alarm - she'd set it for the downstairs when going up to bed and it kept going off every now and then overnight ... they eventually found out it was a massive spider that kept swinging in front of the hall sensor!

She didn't know whether to be happy that they'd found the reason for it going off, or scared to death at the size of the spider! :LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Reminds me of a former work colleague who had problems with her house alarm - she'd set it for the downstairs when going up to bed and it kept going off every now and then overnight ... they eventually found out it was a massive spider that kept swinging in front of the hall sensor!

She didn't know whether to be happy that they'd found the reason for it going off, or scared to death at the size of the spider! :LOL:
One of our false alarms a few years ago was a spider actually in the unit. How it got there, nobody knows..........

The only issue we had with our Strikeback alarm was a "dry joint" with the bike loop. Got a waterproof automotive connector and no issues since then

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can confirm that a passing radio amateur, chatting with his friends, will set off many house and car alarms.:sneaky:

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
A phrase ive never heard , a passing radio amateur . You live and learn (y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can confirm that a passing radio amateur, chatting with his friends, will set off many house and car alarms.:sneaky:
.......so can police car radios!

We had an alarm system on our business premises which called us when activated. On a couple of occasions I arrived in the scarey wee dark hours only to find cop cars already in attendance only to find they had been parked up close by having a nap break and used their radios.:rolleyes:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How do you know it was the bonnet sensor that set the alarm off?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Alarms can be a bit techy at times, if you think it is the bonnet switch just adjust it they are mounted with a long thread you can loosen off the locknut and wind it out a bit to make better contact then hopefully it won't go off again.
We have had our alarm go off on occasions, leaving a rooflight open in windy conditions trips the internal sensors & leaving the heating on does it, I must remember to turn off internal sensors when leaving roof lights open or heating on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
very deep exhaust note not noisy but very low frequency, can that set the ultrasound sensors in the hab area off?

We were at the Southport Air-show and when the jets came past they were greeted by a whole load of alarms in the car park going off. So yes, it is possible.

One reason for ultrasonics being replaced by PIR in building alarms, they can be triggered by non attack events.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The engine bay is a very aggressive environment for an alarm bonnet switch. If the OP has a plunger type switch then take it off and give it a good clean to get rid of any oily residue or condensation that could cause a short circuit.

My Hymer had a reed switch (contained in a white plastic elongated box thingy). My alarm kept going off at odd times. I found that the terminals had corroded where the 2 wires connect. These were cleaned and solved the problem. The reed switches can become a little temperamental over time but you can easily test them to check if they are opening and closing properly (bench test using a multimeter).

If you are replacing a reed switch just be aware that there are two types - NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed). The NO one is the more common but mine was the NC variety.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We were at the Southport Air-show and when the jets came past they were greeted by a whole load of alarms in the car park going off. So yes, it is possible.

One reason for ultrasonics being replaced by PIR in building alarms, they can be triggered by non attack events.
Our Vulcan always set off loads of car alarms, much to our amusement.
A couple of years ago at Shoreham it managed to crack the windscreen of one car. Fortunately the owner was a Vulcan fan and he was dead chuffed when he came over to tell us. :):)

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back