Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So today i finally got around to taking our new MH which is a Bessacarr E560 to the weighbridge now that i have mostly installed our additional 2 batteries and our refillable Gas it bottle , and now i think i need a whisky or two.
i have tried to list what items would be putting on weight from the vehicle that came out of the factory.
Ok here goes
Me the driver 60kg
Full tank of fuel about £75 money wise not sure on weight
90ltr water tank 1/3 full so say 30 ltrs
waste tank about 1/4 full say 20 ltrs
Spare wheel and Tyre , no idea but yes HEAVY.
Fiamma Bike carrier ( EMPTY )
18kg Gas it cylinder ( EMPTY ) so it weighs 21kg
2 extra Leisure batteries @24kg each = 48kg
B2B charger & cables 15kg max
19" TV say about 6kg

NO Solar PANELS on roof
Items in the MH garage
2 x Milenco ramps @4.2kg each = 8.4kg
2 x milenco mats @0.8kg each = 1.6kg
2 x Lay flat water hoses @2.5kg each = 5kg
Silver window covering 3.2kg

Well when i went to the weighbridge i was unable to see the weight , but the lady in the P&O booth told be its just around 4 ton sir.
WTF 4 ton:eek::eek:
Surely this could not be right , even if i was to remove EVERYTHING above including petrol , me the driver etc , it would be way over the 3500kg.

I recon i need to get it re weighed at a different place ?? as that just sounds crazy
or could them figures add up ?
Worst about it is i just renewed my 10 year old driving licence here in N.ireland as the start of the year and i remember something about a licence class ( it could be C1 ) and did i want to keep it when changing to the new type licence , but i opted out ........ DOHHHHH!!!!! , if that was in fact the c1 that i opted out of and i will now have to go for a test to get said licence,,,, time to buy a hanging rope!!:mad::mad:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Was gonna say yet rid of that 20litres of waste water, but not going to make much difference!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
"Just around 4 ton sir"? A bit vague to say the least. I'd check on arrival whether I'd get a print out or I'd expect to see the read out on the display at the very least.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As mentioned, get it checked on another weighbridge. If the weight is correct have it double checked for damp but 500kg of damp is a flood.

If everything is correct then you will need to look at uprating it. The usual way is through SV Tech although you can do it yourself using other consultants.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have had a similar eye opening experience with our recently purchased PVC DUCATO which came in at 3400 on weigh bridge with both of us but not solar panel, bike rack or bikes. If you do searches on this site and others you will find that the weight issue comes up time and time again. I have not come across a dealer that discusses fully laden weights openly and the implications.
Still trying to get C1 on licence having applied in March.
You may have a case to go back to dealer if sold as being under 3500 in normal running order. (Ready for a holiday)
Please do also check your tyre ratings!
Will be interested as to how you get on. Do keep us informed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No way is your van 4 ton! I know how much sh1t you need to reach that believe me and I have full diesel full gas full water 8 batteries etc etc etc to get there

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
We had a E560 in 2008 and had it weighed on council weighbridge (£2.50) and it came in well below 3500kg, even with me and my mrs in it and the water full.
I think you need a reliable weighbridge as other funsters have suggested.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Minxy Girl Thanks Mel for that info , makes me feel a bit better :)
@pappajohn & @Bailey58 yip this was at a P&O weighbridge , but the girl was very busy and there was a Q of cars, so yip i will deffo be looking for a different weighbridge, there is a DOE one right beside it which says press button and wait on light going green , but traffic light just stays at red always.
@DBK will be well baffled if it is correct as how can what i listed above take the MH to around 4 ton , even if it was uprated the MH will probby still have a payload of 3580
here is a pic of my VIN plate
VIN.jpg
@Riverbankannie to get the licence do you have to do another driving test ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
No way is your van 4 ton! I know how much sh1t you need to reach that believe me and I have full diesel full gas full water 8 batteries etc etc etc to get there
That is exactly what i hope that she is way wrong,, i think im still in shock:eek::eek:

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We had a E560 in 2008 and had it weighed on council weighbridge (£2.50) and it came in well below 3500kg, even with me and my mrs in it and the water full.
I think you need a reliable weighbridge as other funsters have suggested.
Good luck.
Thanks i'm glad i made this post i may well sleep in my bed tonight..
It would not suprise me is the girl on the weighbridge is still laughing at telling me it was near 4 ton

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Two extra leisure batteries, heeeaaavy , but not that heavy , dodgy weighbridge perhaps.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Minxy Girl Mel It was a manned weighbridge which belongs to P&O , there was no traffic lights , just a Q like you are checking in for the boat , and the weight indicator outside the booth was not lit up,, so as for the weight , all i know is that the woman said you are around 4 ton, ill see how to work the DOE weighbridge which is right beside it, but i have a feeling the only time it is turned on is when the police are doing traffic checks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl Mel It was a manned weighbridge which belongs to P&O , there was no traffic lights , just a Q like you are checking in for the boat , and the weight indicator outside the booth was not lit up,, so as for the weight , all i know is that the woman said you are around 4 ton, ill see how to work the DOE weighbridge which is right beside it, but i have a feeling the only time it is turned on is when the police are doing traffic checks.
I'm talking about the other one, not the one with the '4 tonne woman' ... :D

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
@Tykatem What weight is your Bessacarr E560 that you have / had :)

When I took my E560 to be weighed the other month it came in around 3350kg (Not got my weigh bridge ticket to hand) and that included:

120kw solar panel
36ltr Gasit tank
Air awning
Full tank of diesel
Half tank of water
Various other bits and bobs + me in the drivers seat.

Pete

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm talking about the other one, not the one with the '4 tonne woman' ... :D
Ahh get you now Mel :) yip i'll either go down there again , or phone the DOE or DVA who own it

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I took my E560 to be weighed a few years ago after arriving home from a trip. Full water tank, half full waste tank, full fuel tank, two full gas cylinders, two bikes, full fridge and larder, and loads of winter clothes plus chairs tables BBQ etc. , only one leisure battery. Came in at 3510 Kg.

Since then I have added a solar panel and no longer travel with a full tank of water. The dealer said the payload was 350Kg., this did not include the awning, TV, water or waste.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have recently had my A72 weighed on a public weighbridge. Full fuel and fresh water etc, no SatFi and only 6 kg Calor, now 11 Kg Gaslow and came in at 3660 with a 3850 limit. I was waiting on the platform then this chap came out from an adjacent building and indicated I should get out and join him in the office for the print out. I didn't see him push any buttons and was unsure if the figures were on the scales as I walked in, but only after driving away, I thought, I really hope that weight included me :pray2:cos we're in trouble if not.:blush:

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@WillH thanks for that info :)
Ok so luckily for me it turns out that the woman on the manned weighbridge that told me it was around 4 ton must of been on weed or something else .....
As i went down this morning again to the DVA self weigh bridge and finally got it working after phoning the DVA this morning.
Well the van was still the same as listed in the OP and i weighed it twice to be sure
1st weigh in ,, Front axle - 1500 Read axle - 1680 = Total 3180Kg
2nd weigh in ,, Front axle - 1510 Read axle - 1680 = Total 3190Kg
Thank god for that ........ i hardly slept much last night thinking WTF 4ton........
Still have to get a weigh bridge that gives me out a print out.. guess ill find one somewhere.
So am i correct in saying i still have 310kg of my payload left for the"Wife" , full tank of gas , rest of the water tank filled ,, and other bits n pieces.
If so that is still loads ... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back