Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
Without naming and shaming ! we have just had our MH returned from the dealer who has (after third attempt) resolved a malfunctioning oven/grill.
On arrival we checked it out ! firstly, the ignition was dead, we then used a separate igniter to fire up the burners, both of which lit up and stayed lit, which was a result.
However, we noticed that the fans had not come on, which we assume expels fumes and prevents the unit going up in flames !
After a short while we realised that the feed to both the ignition and the fans came on when we turned the lights (master switch) on. Which was comforting to know, but leaves the possibility of an unsuspecting daylight cook being in danger of passing out before the MH goes up in flames.
Am I worrying unnecessarily ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Without naming and shaming ! we have just had our MH returned from the dealer who has (after third attempt) resolved a malfunctioning oven/grill.
On arrival we checked it out ! firstly, the ignition was dead, we then used a separate igniter to fire up the burners, both of which lit up and stayed lit, which was a result.
However, we noticed that the fans had not come on, which we assume expels fumes and prevents the unit going up in flames !
After a short while we realised that the feed to both the ignition and the fans came on when we turned the lights (master switch) on. Which was comforting to know, but leaves the possibility of an unsuspecting daylight cook being in danger of passing out before the MH goes up in flames.
Can't you have the master switch on and individual light switches off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
3 months
Nothing works in our hab area with master switch off
The master switch I am referring to is the 'light master switch'. In other words the oven electrics have now been wired into the lighting circuit. This was not the case before.

OP
OP
Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
3 months
Can't you have the master switch on and individual light switches off?
Yes, we could but I would have thought the fuse capacity for LED lighting would be significantly less than for oven extraction fans (2 no)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you read the manual relating to the 12v distribution system you will find that few things work with the master switch turned off.

On our van the only things that are permanently live are the electric step, entrance lights and supply to the fridge control panel.

So, if the oven doesn't ignite via the igniter, just turn the 12v on. Don't worry :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you read the manual relating to the 12v distribution system you will find that few things work with the master switch turned off.

On our van the only things that are permanently live are the electric step, entrance lights and supply to the fridge control panel.

So, if the oven doesn't ignite via the igniter, just turn the 12v on. Don't worry :D
Same as ours, that was my meaning.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Same as ours, that was my meaning.
That was maybe how it worked before, that made you think it wasn't working, and they have actually done nothing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm not certain about the oven fan(s) being used for extraction - if it/they were the burner would probably be extinguished by the draught. Oven fans usually simply circulate the air within the oven to ensure even cooking.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did this get resolved, does my head in when threads start, then just stop without an explanation :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, we could but I would have thought the fuse capacity for LED lighting would be significantly less than for oven extraction fans (2 no)

I doubt it. If you look you will quite likely find you lights on 20A fuse/s

OP
OP
Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
3 months
Hi, No resolution as yet, unfortunately on reading the replies I may not have explained the situation very well. essentially the oven (stack unit) has been wired into the lighting circuit via the light master switch, not the main habitation power master switch. This is not how it was originally. In general terms it doesn't seem right that the oven power supply goes via the lighting circuit. I will post a note when we have a conclusion. Thanks for your interest.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't think of it as an electric oven supply as you might have at home.

It's only a couple of little fans and a piezo and it's all 12v. There's no reason at all why the lighting circuit shouldn't be used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back