Croatia bound.. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have decided weather wise, that it may be too late in the year to go up to the Polish Baltic coast, so have decided to go to Croatia instead.
Leaving sometime in the first week of September for a month (or so).
Any one else going there ??
I haven't been there since Tito was in charge 40 years ago, and it was fabulously unspoilt and friendly, so hoping that is still the case.
I've read some old threads by Cruiser, Forestboy and others and it seems still good.
We are starting off at the same Naturist site I was in then, on the island of Krk. Its called camping Baldarin and I hope not to be disappointed (they do say you should never go back, but bugger it).
Cant wait now !!!
Mitch. (y).

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Keep us posted with plenty of info campsites etc, tag axle friendly roads routes and have a good trip. , would like to do Croatia myself.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are probably going to head down there after visiting Caravan salon Dusseldorf, we don't do planning so may/may not end up there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We Slovenia and Northern Croatia in May/June and thoroughly enjoyed it! Just watch out for the idiots on the narrow roads though as one MHer took out our passenger side mirror!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Looking forward to your photos,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had planned to go to Croatia in late August / September, but have had second thoughts as I prefer not to use camp sites and there are few Aires / Camperstops.
Still keeping an open mind and will make a final decision closer to the time.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Croatia is still quite unspoilt, except for coastal areas. We went there a few years ago and visited the area where Tito has a hunting lodge. One of our acquaintances met a bear in the forest!!

The country is years behind neighbouring Slovenia. In July many people in the villages were bringing in their winter fuel allowances of logs in wheel barrows.

The people we met couldn't do enough for us, they want to encourage tourism.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had planned to go to Croatia in late August / September, but have had second thoughts as I prefer not to use camp sites and there are few Aires / Camperstops.
That is what is making us uncertain about going we are just not keen on sites.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That is what is making us uncertain about going we are just not keen on sites.
Didn't you spend 3 weeks on a site in Spain?

Joking aside, that's why I like Portugal
Plenty of quiet little corners to stay

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Worse it was 4½, it was Portugal we were with friends, every time we went out on the bikes or by train and saw vans wilding or on Aires we got itchy feet doubt if we would do it again.
For me it's being fenced in, especially when the fence has been covered to prevent people looking in or out.
Maybe campsites in Croatia are open sided like in Norway?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The only sites we saw were on the coast and, in July, were packed.

I think it would be possible to park up in out of the way places in Croatia the same as in many other countries where wild camping is supposedly frowned upon! Just be discrete.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We drive out to Sveti Vlas Bulgaria at the end of August for a couple of months. Route we are taking is Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Cloatia, Sebia, Bulgaria. Looking forward to it as I have not driven that route for over 20 years. Should be a bit different now.

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, we stayed in supertar on the island of Brac just opposite split. We were there in May, site fees weren't cheap. Travelled all around the island by bus, which was cheap. Lovely helpful, friendly people. Will definitely go back.
Have a great trip. Luke

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have decided weather wise, that it may be too late in the year to go up to the Polish Baltic coast, so have decided to go to Croatia instead.
Leaving sometime in the first week of September for a month (or so).
Any one else going there ??
I haven't been there since Tito was in charge 40 years ago, and it was fabulously unspoilt and friendly, so hoping that is still the case.
I've read some old threads by Cruiser, Forestboy and others and it seems still good.
We are starting off at the same Naturist site I was in then, on the island of Krk. Its called camping Baldarin and I hope not to be disappointed (they do say you should never go back, but bugger it).
Cant wait now !!!
Mitch. (y).

Have a great time we love Croatia, weather in September was fantastic last year.
Don't forget your ACSI card accepted everywhere in Croatia, but be aware beginning of October the Bora wind comes howling in and a lot of sites start to close.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There aren't many official aires and you can find places to stop but it isn't as easy as some countries, however worth the effort as it's a lovely place.

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
@cliffandger spent 8 weeks there early this year, we enjoyed their thread about it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We loved our visit to Croatia in May, at the same time as @cliffandger, and we'd love to go back.

We were advised that not only was "wild camping" frowned upon, but that it was illegal. :eek:

Camping Krk where we stayed, was a former Natruist site, but has been taken over and completely refurbished, by Adriatic Camping, who appear to own most of the sites in Croatia.

If you like a dark beer, I can recommend the bottled Amber, or the ever so slightly :eek: stronger and darker bottled Tomislav. ;)

Enjoy. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007

WE went last year same sort of time. Used sites all the time, cheap and good quality, especially along the coast road down to Durovnik. Dont be put off, and use ACSI.

Highly recommended.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We loved our visit to Croatia in May, at the same time as @cliffandger, and we'd love to go back.

We were advised that not only was "wild camping" frowned upon, but that it was illegal. :eek:
We wild camped and didn't have any problems at all, there were a few campers doing it, indeed one was right next to the small harbour at Ika (not far from Icici) - lovely spot and lovely view of the town at night:

Ika harbour.jpg
Ika harbour 2.jpg
Ika harbour 3.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Panel vans may be ok for wilding, but our Autotrail stands out a bit more and yes it IS illegal.
We weren't the only ones doing it, in fact the others we saw were coachbuilts in various places, some very large ones - this one was already there when we stopped at Ika.

upload_2016-7-31_16-7-51.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We weren't the only ones doing it, in fact the others we saw were coachbuilts in various places, some very large ones - this one was already there when we stopped at Ika.

View attachment 118116
Mel, in the two weeks we were there, we didn't witness wild camping of any kind, and having been advised that any such behaviour was subject to a heavy fine, we didn't even bother. For €17 all in (including WiFi) we happily stayed at campsites during the months of the ACSI discount. (y)

BTW, for the beer drinkers, I forgot to mention the worthy Rezano, which is a mixture of a blonde lager, and a black Tomislav. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No problem, not trying to encourage anyone to wild camp, just saying what we found when we went. :)

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We spent a week a the Nataurist site in Krk - baladin - a few years ago. It was lovely. We had a bevvy of Italian girls camping behind us who gave us a bottle of wine when they left because they feared they had been too noisy.

The onsite shop is rather primitive but adequate.

Have a good time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back