A rare 1936 Pontiac motorhome for sale at auction. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A rare 1936 Pontiac motorhome is going up for sale at auction.

The classic coachbuilt was built in 1936 by Russells of Bexhill, a prominent coachbuilder. The motorhome was built on a new Pontiac chassis cab for a Captian Dunn who was disabled and had the van made for his wife to drive and for him to be able to enter in his wheelchair via ramps and a manual winch.

Captain Dunn had the motorhome on the road from 1937 through to 1940 when, over the war, he was evacuated to west Wales due to his disability and the motorhome wasn't driven.

Read More
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/classic-motorhome-goes-to-auction

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know the van quite well as i live local to its old showroom and have viewed it many times. If it sells within estimate, somebody will be getting a real bargain and a piece of history. Needs to be in a museum like Beaulieu so more people get to see it close up

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If it sells within estimate, somebody will be getting a real bargain and a piece of history.
Auctioneers usually put a low estimate to get maximum interest then just leave it to the buying frenzy in the auction room :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's real blast from the past, I think it should spend it's summers going to exhibitions & rallies etc.,
It could be a good example of how it was done back in the day!

Phill

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've seen a die cast model of that M/H' think it was made by Franklins Mint.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think it is the one that used to be in a Garage in the Poole area?. (Ringwood Road? rings a bell) The company (one of my "clients") traded Motor-homes as well as cars. If it is I have actually been inside it, the coach-building was excellent.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know the van quite well as i live local to its old showroom and have viewed it many times. If it sells within estimate, somebody will be getting a real bargain and a piece of history. Needs to be in a museum like Beaulieu so more people get to see it close up

I entirely agree, It would be fitting to be part of the Beaulieu collection. maybe the caravan club might want to bid?:D(y)

Pete

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think it is the one that used to be in a Garage in the Poole area?. (Ringwood Road? rings a bell) The company (one of my "clients") traded Motor-homes as well as cars. If it is I have actually been inside it, the coach-building was excellent.

Pete
Kampers & Kars opposite SW vehicle auctions. Was owned by Ron Saunders

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Kampers & Kars opposite SW vehicle auctions. Was owned by Ron Saunders

That rings the bell. They had a couple of classic cars too I think at one time. That used to be part of my old "District". Before I was shunted off to "do" the west country!. British Gas had a Training Establishment at Branksome. With more old Boilers than you could shake a stick at on which they trained the upcoming gas fitters!. And a Huge "Twin" single ram vehicle lifting platform in the Garage Workshop which all the fitters hated having to do work on! De Villbiss where near Bournemouth and "Sabre" Engines Near Ferndown.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
An amazing piece of history that has survived. A beautiful old lady.:)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Lovely old Girl...Perhaps we should ensure the future 'Owner' has FREE 'Funster' yellow stickers ? [front & rear] --OR maybe FREE 'lifetime membership' of Our Highly Valued Club..??
(y)(y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Should make £75 scrap, lot of wood in it though so maybe £50

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Will it include the balance of the manufacturers warranty, a PDI and a habitation/damp check?
Hope its never taken on the roads again, some drunken swine will probably total it.
Beautiful piece of mohoming history which will, I hope be preserved for good.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I think whoever got that motorhome has got themselves a bargain.
Love the ashtrays on the dash :LOL:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take more than WD40 to get those running. I've never seen that non-V engine before. And the twin back wheels, for a sidecar ?

Its a strange phenomenon that many times unmolested basket cases make far more than expected. The general reasoning behind this is that some collectors enjoy the rebuilding more than the actual owning of rare vehicles. I once knew twins that had a large collection of rare bikes which filled the house. Neither held a bike licence to ride, but both enjoyed watching others rebuild there purchases. Pride of place was Lord Hekeths personal steed.
What is more amazing, is that the original owner of the Broughs allowed them to fall into such decay. That reminds me...must start on getting the Triton out :rolleyes:.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I built a Tribsa when I was 17.

Mine was built by my late father and me in the late 60s. It has been stored in a mates garage for well over 20 years now. Cannot bring myself to part with it, but know I will never ride again. A predicament that will be passed on after my demise.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Pete

Sure it is,,it was on their advert,,BUSBY,,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back