Anyone use a tyre sealant (Drive-Safe)? (2 Viewers)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have no spare tyre, nor can I fit a tyre holder under the rear chassis due to axle weight reasons.
I am reluctant to use the fiat pump and go system due to the nasty fumes ( not for asthmatics) that can be released.

Has anyone used Drive Safe tyre sealant, either the pre puncture type or the emergency puncture product.

If so what were the pros/cons of using them?

Many thanks

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have no spare tyre, nor can I fit a tyre holder under the rear chassis due to axle weight reasons.
I am reluctant to use the fiat pump and go system due to the nasty fumes ( not for asthmatics) that can be released.

Has anyone used Drive Safe tyre sealant, either the pre puncture type or the emergency puncture product.

If so what were the pros/cons of using them?

Many thanks
I use puncturesafe in both the MH and the car, neither of which have spares. It won't stop a catastrophic failure but will work with the more common screws on the tread. A good compromise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We used a tyre product that stopped punctures. It was good; the number of punctures that I had dropped considerably and it slowed the rate of air loss from a large slash so I could pull off the motorway and deal with the tyre change safely.

I think that it was called tyre safe. I bought a load off my brother when he worked for them. Down to the last 3 bottles now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
'SLIME' for me.

Tried it in my lawn tractor tyres and thorn punctures are a thing of the past.
The tyre 'skin' is very thin and even small thorns cause punctures.
Will seal up to a 5mm hole and is water soluble so proper repairs can be undertaken if really needed.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What about those bands they put in tyres?
Don't know the name though.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
used oko for years . in africa in the desert thorns can puncture your tyres loads of times a day . have known as many as 11 punctures in one tyre in a day .
sometimes have only put it in when the tyre keeps deflating . but it does work.
have also seen green slime thrown up under the wheel arch when a bigger hole in tyre but it sealed that as well. brilliant stuff .

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
What worries me with these tyre sealants is that it could mask the fact that the tyre had been punctured.

If the tyre has been punctured (with sealant), it must surely compromise the future safety of the tyre.

I don't know the answer but I would rather know that it has been punctured (without sealant) so I can get it repaired to bring it back to it's former glory.

However, I accept that a puncture initiated at high speed could be a saviour (with the sealant) in that particular situation.

I would rather spend the extra dosh on a tyre pressure monitoring system. It would give you warning of a loss of pressure at high speed. If it was a sidewall blowout, even the sealant wouldn't help in that situation.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
used oko for years . in africa in the desert thorns can puncture your tyres loads of times a day . have known as many as 11 punctures in one tyre in a day .
sometimes have only put it in when the tyre keeps deflating . but it does work.
have also seen green slime thrown up under the wheel arch when a bigger hole in tyre but it sealed that as well. brilliant stuff .

http://okosales.co.uk/shop/

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
What worries me with these tyre sealants is that it could mask the fact that the tyre had been punctured.

If the tyre has been punctured (with sealant), it must surely compromise the future safety of the tyre.

I don't know the answer but I would rather know that it has been punctured (without sealant) so I can get it repaired to bring it back to it's former glory.

However, I accept that a puncture initiated at high speed could be a saviour (with the sealant) in that particular situation.

I would rather spend the extra dosh on a tyre pressure monitoring system. It would give you warning of a loss of pressure at high speed. If it was a sidewall blowout, even the sealant wouldn't help in that situation.
Most tier wall faluers are caused by under inflation
Tier belt separation under inflation
Bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this one . mind i buy it at our local farm supplies shop.

pay the same . or sometimes its a few pence cheaper . if they have a special on.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Checking your tiers regularly this is before you start any jurny and at each stop on long jurnays can help you to avoid problems.
Regular walk round's and fiscal checking of the ruber.
The only blow out I have had was running over a lorry rechet in my car on a motorway
A inspection mirror can help you to see inside wall of tier whare it's hard to see. Problem's developing
Bill
2-led-telescopic-inspection-mirror.jpg

This is a LED one but a plumbers one dose the same job

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

You will find that the majority of tyre sealants are coloured - usually pink so that punctures are visible on inspection - you do check your tyres regularly don't you :rofl: :rofl:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You will find that the majority of tyre sealants are coloured - usually pink so that punctures are visible on inspection - you do check your tyres regularly don't you :rofl: :rofl:
Oh yes...... No excuse for not checking regularly

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

So, what happens if you get a nail in the tread and the coloured sealant is unable to escape to the surface of the tyre?

I found your comment "you do check your tyres regularly don't you" to be condescending and followed by the hilarious laughing to be blatantly taking the p**s.

Although a newbie to this forum, I have also been camping in one way or another for at least 50 years.

PS. Hope I haven't contravened Rule ??? Cos I find this forum brilliant.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have always used Puncturesafe and once in it becomes a habit to have visual check before long journeys to makee sure the wheel arch is sealant free. However I am not sure if it was a set of dodgy wheels but twice I suffer from rust pinholes on the inside of the rim, it may have been the sealant. I now have alloy wheels so rust is no longer a problem. One thing that I have noticed is that the tyre pressure stays constant as well as tyre balance.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So, what happens if you get a nail in the tread and the coloured sealant is unable to escape to the surface of the tyre?

I found your comment "you do check your tyres regularly don't you" to be condescending and followed by the hilarious laughing to be blatantly taking the p**s.

Although a newbie to this forum, I have also been camping in one way or another for at least 50 years.

Well, the nail head would be spotted, in the same way as if there wasn't any sealant...... always a distressing sight to find one though

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Shame you cannot see the jest in the comment - a full tyre check should be the removal of the wheel checking the inner wall as well as the outer then rotating the tyre removing stones and checking between the treads for damage finally you should check the tyre pressure while the tyres are cold - you should then refit the wheel torqueing the nuts up to the manufactures specification then after approx. 30 miles you should re torque the nuts. Now if you do that on a regular basis you are a rarity. The majority of people check there is one on each corner and if the rim is too close to the tarmac they may consider putting some air in it.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Shame you cannot see the jest in the comment - a full tyre check should be the removal of the wheel checking the inner wall as well as the outer then rotating the tyre removing stones and checking between the treads for damage finally you should check the tyre pressure while the tyres are cold - you should then refit the wheel torqueing the nuts up to the manufactures specification then after approx. 30 miles you should re torque the nuts. Now if you do that on a regular basis you are a rarity. The majority of people check there is one on each corner and if the rim is too close to the tarmac they may consider putting some air in it.

Yea, do all that before a major trip - perhaps I am a rarity !!! But I did spend time in Africa on gravel roads where carrying 2 spare tyres was the norm. Still, good info for others.

Sorry I didn't fully embrace your so called jest - perhaps it may take some time to become a fully incorporated Funster, haha!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In that situation the nail would be as good an indicator as a coloured sealant that you may have a puncture.
You don't always see the sealant leak out but you can be assured its probably doing it's job.

I picked up an M17 hex bolt in a front tyre.
It wasn't the deflation that alerted me but it was the regular click, click, click as the bolt hit the tarmac.
As it turned out it was a short length of sheared off bolt and was just deep enough in the tread to hold it in but not deep enough to puncture the tyre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back