Our Winter Route to the SunSun (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We thought we would do something a bit different this year and go via Holland, Germany and Italy. We have done the well trodden route through France and down to
Spain two years running so want something a little different.

So, with this in mind, we turn left at Calais (have never done that before, or at least not past Gravelines!). Make our way towards Amsterdam where we meet the Rhine. Follow the Rhine through Deutschland.

Allowing a month to do this, in the hope that there might be some skiing to be had by December, either Germany, Switzerland or preferably Italy. It might be a vain hope that early but you never know. Decisions will need to be made once we get to German/Swiss border near Basle on whether a left or right hand turn is made. Really really want to explore Italy but this will be weather dependent. I don't mind cool as long as it's not wet.

Any advice on this proposed route, recommendations or otherwise would be gratefully received?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Allowing a mouth? Tempting, but I'm keeping mine shut (for a change).:LOL:

Safe travels(y)

Last edited:

Deleted User
We are planning on leaving our static van near La Baule early September, driving across France through Bavaria and then either through Switzerland or Austria into Italy. We have a ferry booked from Civitavecchia to Barcelona in mid October and then onto Portugal.

Can't really give any advice as we have not done this route before and only driven through Northern Italy once and stayed at Peschiera which we liked.

I will watch this thread with interest:)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have a ferry booked from Civitavecchia to Barcelona in mid October and then onto Portugal.
That's interesting, how long is this ferry crossing? We have to consider the dog but that would make it possible to spend longer in Italy. We have a vague commitment to meet friends in Murcia for Christmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
That's interesting, how long is this ferry crossing? We have to consider the dog but that would make it possible to spend longer in Italy. We have a vague commitment to meet friends in Murcia for Christmas.

The ferry leaves around 22.00 and arrives in Barcelona around 18.00 so 20 hours, I have just done a quick check on my booking conditions and pets have to travel in kennels, this is with Grimaldi lines.

There are other routes operated by them but we used a ferry from Genoa to Barcelona a few years ago operated by Gran Navi Veloci and there where several dogs on the passenger decks.

If you google Mediteranean ferries it should come up with several agents that deal with bookings for different operators.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi Sandra,What about Germany,Austria,Slovenia,Italy then take the coast(Monaco) route out of Italy (no long expensive toll tunnels) and across south France to Spain. See you sometime, take care,
Martin

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have a vague commitment to meet friends in Murcia for Christmas.

Vague??? Hope you make it here sometime but don't rush your trip. We'll be doing Holland and Germany in September, will post if we find interesting things!!! Good for cycling (for me at least!!!)

Not been to Italy in winter, I think it will be a lottery with the weather and you may be lucky.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Vague??? Hope you make it here sometime but don't rush your trip. We'll be doing Holland and Germany in September, will post if we find interesting things!!! Good for cycling (for me at least!!!)

Not been to Italy in winter, I think it will be a lottery with the weather and you may be lucky.
Plan to be at your place for New Year but will spend a few days over Christmas with the same couple we did last year at Los Narajos on the Mar Manor.

How long before Martin can start cycling again?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
[QUOTE="

How long before Martin can start cycling again?[/QUOTE]

Don't know, I'll leave it up to him to decide. We're leaving the mountain bikes behind so no temptation! Just taking the CX bikes. They should be very useful in Holland and that's probably where he'll try riding again on a flat route.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Sandra,What about Germany,Austria,Slovenia,Italy then take the coast(Monaco) route out of Italy (no long expensive toll tunnels) and across south France to Spain. See you sometime, take care,
Martin
That's not a bad idea. I need to get myself a good map so I can spend hours looking at it and plotting a route. I do this useless activity every year only for Colin to dismiss it and go his own, boring, economical way!

We want to "do" the Romantic Rhine route, do you know of a good guide book or map that would get us to all the interesting places?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
[QUOTE="

How long before Martin can start cycling again?

Don't know, I'll leave it up to him to decide. We're leaving the mountain bikes behind so no temptation! Just taking the CX bikes. They should be very useful in Holland and that's probably where he'll try riding again on a flat route.[/QUOTE]
That makes sense. If you find yourself near us in Leicestershire we have a flat off-road route that would be perfect for those bikes. It's a disused railway line from Northampton to Market Harborough, very smooth and I know where all the cafes and pubs are!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We want to "do" the Romantic Rhine route, do you know of a good guide book or map that would get us to all the interesting places?

There is a booklet produced in several languages that you can get at any TI along the Romantic Road. Got one somewhere, see if I can dig it out.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
That's not a bad idea. I need to get myself a good map so I can spend hours looking at it and plotting a route. I do this useless activity every year only for Colin to dismiss it and go his own, boring, economical way!

This might help for starters...

http://www.romantischer-rhein.de/en/#start

Pete

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We are planning the same thing Sandra, after doing a similar route for the past three years from uk to maroc n back.

We are setting off mid sept (fingers crossed) and going to have a taster of as many countries as we can, roughly following the eastern borders of France but not doing France.

Like you, we are booked in at Spain for Xmas.

I will be following this thread for ideas!

See you on the road.

Darren n Lynne xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back