Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's the same as the 760 .. which we have but smaller. .
Lots of threads on here about it
We love it
Aldi have them (sometimes)
What day need to know

OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
got a 660 nd now trying to work out how to use it:coffee::eek:;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Got one myself and cant say i am impressed with any sat nav i have owned including this one, still takes you up narrow lanes even though i have put in the dimensions bigger than our van.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Got one myself and cant say i am impressed with any sat nav i have owned including this one, still takes you up narrow lanes even though i have put in the dimensions bigger than our van.
Are they narrow lanes which are impassable, though, or just roads which some drivers may find narrow.

We used a number of roads in Norfolk last year which were "challenging" whilst being bus routes :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Are they narrow lanes which are impassable, though, or just roads which some drivers may find narrow.

We used a number of roads in Norfolk last year which were "challenging" whilst being bus routes :)

They were narrow lanes and not a chance in hell of anything else getting past - i mean maybe 2ft either side of the van, we came back from Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and the same happened there too, as luck would have it this time lots of cars oncoming and lots behind us too, the oncoming chose to back up back onto where the road was a little wider but i got some right dirty looks from about 5 of the car drivers - am not impressed at all with it.

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
We have garçon and have just used it all the way to Motenegro, through Bosnia etc. Much better then the previous TomTom, I especially liked the elevation graphs in the mountain passes we used.

The pleasure of motorhoming is to get off the beaten track, not much to sea at the side of a dual carriageway. I also always use map alongside satnav, as navigator my pleasure comes from finding different routes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They were narrow lanes and not a chance in hell of anything else getting past - i mean maybe 2ft either side of the van, we came back from Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and the same happened there too, as luck would have it this time lots of cars oncoming and lots behind us too, the oncoming chose to back up back onto where the road was a little wider but i got some right dirty looks from about 5 of the car drivers - am not impressed at all with it.
It would be worth looking on a map (Google Maps maybe) for the alternative(s) between your start and end points and sending details to Garmin pointing out the wider roads that should have been used. I did that with one road last year (not Garmin's fault as it would have been OK had locals not used it as a rat run to get round road works) and they took it on board.
You can use Basecamp to plan your route in advance and flag certain roads to be avoided.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I was given the model you are interested in a little while ago which our local Adli was offering for £139.99 recently.

I repeat what I have already said about it on here.

I have been a Tomtom person up until now although the units have not been Camper or Truck devices and they have all worked fine for me with very few problems with the routing including in Europe with our Motorhome. I have to say I think there are Pro's and Con's for both. I think that the Garmin is better in some areas particularly its direction advice and search facilities but unlike the recent Tomtom's only recognises the Long/Lat format you have prespecified. TT's recognise 3 formats without the need to prespecify what format you want to use. The TT traffic also appears to be better however the current models POI facility is nowhere as good as it used to be on the older models.

My only real concern with it so far is the Mapping and Routing in comparison with the Tomtom's which does not make the following errors. The Tomtoms have better traffic info and I have had very few problems with the mapping .

I have reported to Garmin major concerns about the Garmin Campers mapping and routing in the area where I live which is 2 miles south of the A2 near Gravesend . I have got the very latest mapping and software on the unit. The following indicate the concerns I have.

If I ask it to set a route from home to say Margate then:-

In Car mode it directs me to the A2 via a single track road with 2 blind bends and which if there has been any heavy rain will be flooded too deep for a 4/4. It is a route nobody locally would normally contemplate taking.

In 3500kg Motorhome mode it takes you to the A2 by the obviously correct route but then asks me to turn West towards London and take an unnecessary detour of nearly 2 miles to get onto A2 going East. The mapping does not know the new road layout at the A2 junction that has existed for over 2 years. With the Mapping they have it should be obvious that you can cross the A2 and go round a roundabout the other side then join the A2 going East. It does not know about the right turn the moment you cross the A2 on the way to the roundabout which is 200yds further on. Tomtom has known the new layout for months.

Finally in 3500 kg Motorhome mode if you put in a route from the Borough Green area to Longfield it completely ignores the A227 but takes you on detours either by the M25 or via Snodland both of which involve 10 miles plus extra. Interestly if you drive to the roundabout on the A227 at the bottom of Wrotham Hill the Unit then says take the A227 rather than redirecting you back to its prefered route. It is then fine until it ignores the Left Turn onto the B255 towards Longfield but asks you to take a turn 20 metres after it and drive along the narrow road in front of a row of shops then turn right out of it then turn right into the B255 turning it ignored in the first place. The road in front of the shops is not wide enough for a Motorhome if there are any cars parked there. It also does this in car mode.

If I set a route from Gravesend to Borough Green with a Car or Motorhome it again totally ignores the A227 which directly connects the 2 places but suggests going via the M25. There is no doubt anyone using a map would have no reason to think that the A227 is not a suitable route. Maybe Garmin like to let you see or join the queues for the Dartford Tunnel.

I know of another routing suggestion it will make which is longer than Tomtom would suggest and I have been told there is no problem with the TT route which is the way another motorhomer from that area would take from the same start point

So as you can see why I have reservations about the mapping and routing on the basis of if thats what it does where I live what will happen elsewhere.

On the only long journey I have taken using it which was to Newquay it was fine. I feel at the moment I need to check what routing it is suggesting to see if there are any obvious queries which is something I have not felt necessary with the Tomtom's.

The latest Tomtom units like this Garmin are capable of enabling you to create routes and save them for selection later. This enables you to preplan tours before you go which can be very useful.

Hope this is helpful.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The latest Tomtom units like this Garmin are capable of enabling you to create routes and save them for selection later.
I bought a TomTom Trucker 5000 having been misled by their marketing into believing that their POI support was usable. Having found that such wasn't the case (and having complained to their CEO) TomTom swapped it for a Pro Truck 5150 (from the previous NAV3 range) "which you can use until we find a solution".

Given subsequent discussions on the TomTom forum I don't believe they will ever "find a solution" for the NAV4 range deficiencies (of which POI support has turned out to be only one). Having used the Trucker 5000 on one trip before it was swapped I can't say I would be upset by that.

TomTom "Customer Care" is generally useless as well. If you ask a question to which there is no ready FAQ answer they simply try to fob you off or answer a different question.

I'm currently undertaking a non-scientific comparison of the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D, TomTom Pro Truck 5150 and Mio Combo 5207 LM Truck and none of them are perfect.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back