Bike security - Lock picking... (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As a matter of interest, I bought one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B01CHWIP32
I then played around with it.. I was shocked as to how easy it was to pick a lock I had securing my new electric bikes.. Agreed it was a low priced Chinese padlock. I wonder if anyone can suggest a decent padlock...

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Anything Yale/Master will be off a decent quality, however a portable grinder with a cutting disk will get throu any padlock so no point in paying top money, if they want it it's gone

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Anything Yale/Master will be off a decent quality, however a portable grinder with a cutting disk will get throu any padlock so no point in paying top money, if they want it it's gone
I am afraid most padlocks are easy to pick, i have a heavy duty master padlock which can be picked in less than 3 seconds. As most have said it is more a deterrent than anything else, dont rely on them to keep anything safe but if yours has a lock and the one next to it doesnt then i am pretty sure yours will be left. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
2 x trailer ramps for smart car trailer, no use at all to a standard trailer far to short
2 x 1/4" shaft close shackled padlocks locks
V
18" Bolt cropper Gone in less than 60 seconds and Silent

Scrap Aluminium value £5 to £7 maybe £10
Replacement cost £400
Please tell me Karma really does exist :cry: and he will die an agonizing death
Second thoughts when did you buy that kit and where were you on the 19th between 11pm and 7am
G

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Banham have a good reputation for locks - but it appears that any lock can be opened in seconds with the right bit of kit and that does not include the key.

Their padlock is around £95 but I suspect with a bump key or key gun could be as vulnerable as any lock.

"Pick" a lock you think might be good for you and then do a search on youtube - you will be amazed how easy some are to open.

an example:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My thoughts (no evidence) are that there are few good locks but there are some better than others that will delay scrotes by a few seconds and may make your items appear slightly less attractive than the next.

Some Gold standard looks have additional insurance included in their purchase price. £1,000 won't replace all bikes but might help if the lock fails due to breakage but I doubt that you could prove that it was picked.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Worth a read (y)

Attachments

• good-locking-practice.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • common-bike-theft-techniques.pdf
    808.8 KB · Views: 53

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't see any link to what you bought but you did say it was low cost. I spent about £80 on an Abus lock still way below the recommendation of spending 10% of the cost of the bike on security.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I think the usual guidance is to spend 10% of your bike's value on a locks - more if you can afford to do so. Also some people recommend using two different types of lock (as they require different methods/tools to break).

Personally we haven't spent that much on locks - but our everyday Kryptonite Mini U locks are Sold Silver (for bikes upto £999 value). We also add a thick armoured cable lock if we're leaving them at say a train station for the day. I think our locks probably weigh almost as much as the bikes LOL
As there are two of us, we also tend to double-up - ie. lock the bikes to each other either side of the rack so in effect each bike has 4 locks on it. It might be overkill but it makes them less attractive to have a go at (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My thoughts (no evidence) are that there are few good locks but there are some better than others that will delay scrotes by a few seconds and may make your items appear slightly less attractive than the next.

Some Gold standard looks have additional insurance included in their purchase price. £1,000 won't replace all bikes but might help if the lock fails due to breakage but I doubt that you could prove that it was picked.
I bought a gold "sold secure" lock for the new bike. The small print of their insurance is a bit of a joke. They will only pay out on production of a broken lock. So you padlock the bike to railings, they cut the railings and bike and lock gone......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think the usual guidance is to spend 10% of your bike's value on a locks - more if you can afford to do so. Also some people recommend using two different types of lock (as they require different methods/tools to break).

Personally we haven't spent that much on locks - but our everyday Kryptonite Mini U locks are Sold Silver (for bikes upto £999 value). We also add a thick armoured cable lock if we're leaving them at say a train station for the day. I think our locks probably weigh almost as much as the bikes LOL
As there are two of us, we also tend to double-up - ie. lock the bikes to each other either side of the rack so in effect each bike has 4 locks on it. It might be overkill but it makes them less attractive to have a go at (y)
Yes, we use a similar technique, plus the Vanbitz bike extension on the van. It won't stop a determined thief but might make them look for an easier target

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I have a Cisa lock, £100) plus 2 "sold secure gold" locks and chains plus 2 "sold secure D locks" that I have purchased over the years. I don't use them all at once, of course, but use the gold standard to satisfy the insurance company. They are all very heavy and a nuisance to carry on our bikes.

I also have, (but don't carry with me), a set of hydraulic bolt cutters. They will cut through 26mm bar, (hardened or not) with ease and are about 14" long. Like cutting a bar of soap with a knife.

The best that you can do is to use a decent insurance company.

In addition, if you are covered for public liability through your home insurance, this will not cover you out of the UK. Cause damage to someone/something in France/Spain, etc, and you might have a very expensive problem.

Our bikes are insured though Velosure and the policy includes public liability, not too expensive either.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I bought a gold "sold secure" lock for the new bike. The small print of their insurance is a bit of a joke. They will only pay out on production of a broken lock. So you padlock the bike to railings, they cut the railings and bike and lock gone......

I'm with you!
Bought 2 e-bikes, phoned house insurance people to get them included - no problem, just a £12 premium increase. Good start.
However she mentioned that the underwriters would 'expect' evidence that they were secured to a solid object with Gold standard 'Sold Secure' locks otherwise a claim could be dismissed. Bought said locks (Abus) and use these to secure the bikes to railings, etc....but also including to the flimsy aluminium rails on the bike carrier!! But, hopefully the underwriters will be happy in the event of loss - or maybe not, as she couldn't/wouldn't give me a definitive answer to whether they were covered when on the back of the Motorhome - 'every incident is considered on an individual basis' (!?!)(n)(n)(n)

PS Bikes are secured when on the back of the van with the bike loop as part of the Vanbitz alarm system.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well if that happens it's hardly their fault is it so why should they pay you anything?
True, but they heavily advertise theft insurance with the product. Heavy duty railings and cycle stands like you see in posh parts of London etc, you would not reasonably expect someone to destroy the railing and take the lot.

Stupid cycle locking, yes - quite agree, but stealing a heavily defended bike is another issue

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
True, but they heavily advertise theft insurance with the product.

Ahh, I see what you mean, the insurance is supposed to be good no matter how it is stolen. However, I'd guess the details include that the lock needs to be secured to something stronger than the lock or it won't pay.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ahh, I see what you mean, the insurance is supposed to be good no matter how it is stolen. However, I'd guess the details include that the lock needs to be secured to something stronger than the lock or it won't pay.
......and they need to see the broken lock as well or they won't pay. A bit hard if it isn't there....... You can see their point I suppose - it stops the chancers but also sweeps up a few unfortunate people as well

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As a matter of interest, I bought one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B01CHWIP32
I then played around with it.. I was shocked as to how easy it was to pick a lock I had securing my new electric bikes.. Agreed it was a low priced Chinese padlock. I wonder if anyone can suggest a decent padlock...

Starting a second career then? Wot's yer moniker then, guv.......

"Fingers" Shifty?
Shifty the lockmeister?

.......ahhhh - now I see..... All this exercise, cycle riding, weight loss etc - you are training to be a cat burgler!! :LOL:

If you are that desperate, tell Lorraine that there are plenty of cats in the local cats home:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best, and quickest, lock pick on the market.

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Starting a second career then? Wot's yer moniker then, guv.......

"Fingers" Shifty?
Shifty the lockmeister?

.......ahhhh - now I see..... All this exercise, cycle riding, weight loss etc - you are training to be a cat burgler!! :LOL:

If you are that desperate, tell Lorraine that there are plenty of cats in the local cats home:D
Always had a fascination with locks etc, then one day on Amazon saw this kit for a small amount of money, tried it and realised that the padlock on my bike rack was poor, even expensive lock are 'easy' to pick, there is a padlock that so far they have failed to pick, but, its a lot of money...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Always had a fascination with locks etc, then one day on Amazon saw this kit for a small amount of money, tried it and realised that the padlock on my bike rack was poor, even expensive lock are 'easy' to pick, there is a padlock that so far they have failed to pick, but, its a lot of money...
You will need more than a lock pick set to get at my scotch supply............ ;)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Chubb make a lock that is supposedly, due to the shape, nigh on impossible to chop using bolt croppers, or, Angle Grinder.

Only saying inoi!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't forget the chain and whatever you lock it to.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
At the end of the day of course they are all just deterrents not guarantees against theft. (to state the obvious).(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

No that's not the one, the one I saw in the advert was Flat & round about 65-75mm in diameter, at the top was a gap about 10-15 mm across, that was the only place where you could get at the hasp, so you didn't have enough space to get your bolt cutters in to get at it. I've seen it dozens of times on I S O Containers.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm with you!
Bought 2 e-bikes, phoned house insurance people to get them included - no problem, just a £12 premium increase. Good start.
However she mentioned that the underwriters would 'expect' evidence that they were secured to a solid object with Gold standard 'Sold Secure' locks otherwise a claim could be dismissed. Bought said locks (Abus) and use these to secure the bikes to railings, etc....but also including to the flimsy aluminium rails on the bike carrier!! But, hopefully the underwriters will be happy in the event of loss - or maybe not, as she couldn't/wouldn't give me a definitive answer to whether they were covered when on the back of the Motorhome - 'every incident is considered on an individual basis' (!?!)(n)(n)(n)

PS Bikes are secured when on the back of the van with the bike loop as part of the Vanbitz alarm system.

My cousin's insurance company does not cover bikes on the outside of his MH, only those locked inside.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a locksmith friend of mine suggested locks more common to secure shipping containers made of hardened stainless steel with a flat rotating hasp to prevent grinding. made by a company called innox or something similar. locked to a hardened steel and coated cable. had them years and found them totally reliable.
an amateur thief may try it on, but a pro will take one look and move onto easier prey

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If there's no secure object available, I secure my bike to the MH by fitting the towing eye, and fastening the lock to that.

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back