hobby motorhame 750 problems (1 Viewer)

dainina

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Funster No
2001 Hobby 750 fmse, has anybody experienced water leak problems big enough to rot the internal floor? Only had the van 11 months and the first we knew about the leak was the floor collapsing!!! warranty provider have said they are not liable for the cost of repairs, does anybody know where we stand legally? please help asap!!!!!!!!!:cry:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Did you buy from a dealer or privately?
If from a dealer then i would think you have some comeback,a floor does not rot away overnight.Imagine if someone was walking on that whilst travelling?
I know this must be very stressful but there are plenty of people on here who will help if they can.
dave

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I see time is not on your side if dealer bought,, assuming they gave a 12 month warranty.

Where abouts is the floor gone. ?

We had a tag axle Hobby and had no problems with it, and thought the build was superb,, so I will be suprised if it is coming from a seam/awning channel exterior join.etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would say its hard to get compensation on a m,home of that age. be difficult to say how a dealer could be responsible it was ok at point of sale and you never noticed water ingress so the dealer could say you were careless. i do know its not what you wanted to hear but ask the dealer he may offer something . it may be that its not too dificult to repair the damage. most problems come from the roof lights in my experience . ask the dealer if he will repair . he might. or go halfway to cost. if not let us all know who you bought it off. dont panic its only a bit of ply to replace usually ,you may be able to repair it yourselves .have a careful look at it may be easy. best of luck if you were close i would help. cheers alan.

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi, sorry to hear about your problems. Many rotten floor problems in motorhomes occur because of leaking shower trays or plumbing. Could be worth a check. Hope you get it sorted soon.

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Sorry to hear your bad news I seem to re-call somewhere there is a "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE "within the Consumer do's and dont's, if you havew no luck with the Seller and it is a bigger repair job than you think then may be worth looking into....It is always best of course to try and sort it out in an amicable way. Best of Luck

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
hi sorry to hear of your proplem if i were you get on to your local trading stardard office found at your local council offices if the m/h was bought from a dealer it should have been check out before you purchased it they should have done a damp meter test checked the electrlcs checked the gas etc they much have known there was water ingress this does not happen over night any good dealer gives you a 12 months warranty i think you will find you should be able to claim from them under the sale of goods act another way also is tell them you wil name and shame them on every m/h forum on the net warning other people to keep well away from them as they can not be a very good company to deal with good luck Tony

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
i would say its hard to get compensation on a m,home of that age. be difficult to say how a dealer could be responsible it was ok at point of sale and you never noticed water ingress so the dealer could say you were careless. i do know its not what you wanted to hear but ask the dealer he may offer something . it may be that its not too dificult to repair the damage. most problems come from the roof lights in my experience . ask the dealer if he will repair . he might. or go halfway to cost. if not let us all know who you bought it off. dont panic its only a bit of ply to replace usually ,you may be able to repair it yourselves .have a careful look at it may be easy. best of luck if you were close i would help. cheers alan.

no way can a dealer say you were careless there is no way this could happen over night how would you feel if the boot was on the other foot?? no way is this only a little job tony

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its very difficult when the vehicle is that old.even harder to prove negligence by the dealer. there is no requirment for a dealer to do a damp test.they may have only got it in that day. i dont have full details of the sale or what was promised. if the customer was allowed to inspect the purchase before buying there is in the sale of goods a clause about buyer beware. if it was possible for it to have been seen, then there,s the get out. i do hope the op gets a solution. i would always reccomend an inspection by a independant before purchase. not all traders are rogues ,it may be that it can be sorted swiftly and easily. it did take 11months to show its head how long does a leak have to leak before floors give way. i cant answer but i would have expected to have seen some damp somewhere in 11 months. possible even water. we are working on little info and have to guess an awfull lot. cheers alan.

J

jellytotsarego

Deleted User
2001 Hobby 750 fmse, has anybody experienced water leak problems big enough to rot the internal floor? Only had the van 11 months and the first we knew about the leak was the floor collapsing!!! warranty provider have said they are not liable for the cost of repairs, does anybody know where we stand legally? please help asap!!!!!!!!!:cry:
the hobby we bought had had the same problem, spongy floor, they injected it with silicone, i think, anyway we went away to france and had a bad leak from the boiler we think , no water for a month, got home tried to get it repaired under warranty, and guess what , they cant find the leak, but back to your floor, maybe it just needs injecting, ours is quite solid now. still cant find a leak,

J

jellytotsarego

Deleted User
hobby lighting problem

we are in st erth, near penzance, wonder if you can help us, we cant get any lights or boiler in our hobby 750, all charged up, you sound a if you know a thing or two about motorhomes, any advice would be appreciated, many thanks

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
No lights

First of all check breakers and fuses, then check again. Let us know if that fixes it if not come back and we will try something else.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jellytotsarego. yes giveme apm.with phone noetc have a fiend who,s also had experiance with hobby,s .i,m sure we can sort you outfor a cup of tea. thats what its all about . gather as much info as you can for your model just incase we need it. look forward to your pm, alan.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it sounds like you have either a leek through a roof light or roof seam :Eeek:Is it damp anywhere else other than the floor?
We bought a van knowing it was damp (ripped it all out and renewed it all) (see it in m/h garage under my name)The damp had got everywhere
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Spooky !
Just last night a group consisting of several motor trade people discussed the warranty thing.

I am willing to bet if you check in the small print it will state 'water damage either by water ingress or by water leaking inside the vehicle will not be covered'

I was amazed at just how little is actually covered by these so called warranty's..
Even a blown engine can be dismissed as 'fair wear and tear' by some of the firms.

I would advise anyone contemplating taking on one of these so called warranty deals to be VERY VERY careful !!

bullyfuller201

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Dogdy shower tray

Hi
I had a 05 750fmc it was only 18months old and we noticed horrible damp spell and i discovered the shower tray had cracked around plug hole and had rotted boot floor Brownhills didnt want to know as i bought it new from oak tree so i traded it in for a new (07) 750 flc this one is now going the same so i am going to fit a decent tray myself. Hobbys are such rubbish i cant work out why i am on my 3rd new one ! i think its because i retired at 40 i love having little jobs. The moral of my story is i have had 5 new vans that have all come in kit form and i have learnt not to waste your time with warrantys/ legal action just fix it yourself.
Sorry im no help (the wifes right)

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

There is a known problem with the 750. The rear wheel arches are not sealed to the body correctly and what happens is the water/rain runs down the body, goes behind the wheel arch and goes straight into the floor. This can effect the raised floor by the shower/toilet or go further down into the lower floor area.

I had a 750 for a short period of time before I found out it was stolen - long story - I noticed the floor was spongy, stripped out the shower and was working on the second floor. I was going to put a stainless steel plate either side of the floor.

What I was doing is the only way of dealing with it. You need to take out the shower/bathroom and strip out the raised floor. If you try and replace the floor panels it will become a nightmare, this is why a friend and I realised that putting a SS plate on either side was the only solution.

Obviously you need to sort the root of the problem which is sealing behind the rear wheel arch. Let this be a lesson to all 750 owners! Take that wheel arch off and check the state of the seal! It was a straightforward job and I am sorry I did not take any pictures. Just be methodical in your approach and it is very straightforward and obvious.

Best regards

Chris

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
Hi it sounds like you have either a leek through a roof light or roof seam :Eeek:Is it damp anywhere else other than the floor?
We bought a van knowing it was damp (ripped it all out and renewed it all) (see it in m/h garage under my name)The damp had got everywhere
terry
Hi Terry. How do I find your report on the stripping out of the floor in your motor home as I have a problem with my Hobby 750 floor in areas around the shower and boiler location and water filler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back