Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello

I am using my Oyster Dish abroad for the first time, I an quite close to Barcelona,

Could somebody tell ne the correct satalite to select, and the setting to give me the main Uk TV stations.

Thanks

Andrew

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You could try Astra 2.....it works for me..has your dish got auto skew, if not you will need to move the LNB clockwise a little...about 20 to the hour in simplistic terms. You might get nothing, but you might get Chn4/5 and ITV, Sky News, Pick etc you will. Good luck.
If you just want News...Sky 1 will get you Sky News International and a few others but not what I have listed above.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Another for Astra 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
When in Spain I just use Astra 1 for BBC news, Sky news and Channel RTL for Formula 1 (in German) and Eurosport Deutsch (also in German).

For Astra 1, you'll need a FTA (Free to Air) box or built in TV satellite decoder. You are unlikely to get any of the mainstream BBC/ITV channels on Astra 2. You only get the full range of English programmes on the Astra 2 spot beam. The southern most extent of the spot beam is somewhere between Bordeaux and the border with Spain using an 85cm dish.

If you are receiving via a Sky box then stick with Astra 2 (on the wide beam) as it's more complicated to programme the Sky box for other satellites, although it can be done.

Best of luck but if you have any problems, just ask.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We also have an Icecrypt box to use when Astra2 does not work haven't tried it in Spain yet but have been assured it will work as uses a different satellite can't remember the name at the moment. Intelsat 907

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Living here in Murcia my 1.35m dish with a correctly skewed LNB gets me all the UK TV on Astra 2 including regional and HD.
Travelling in Spain in a motorhome with a 85cm oyster, applying the same procedure gets me ITV,BBC, Chn4/5.
I have posted my findings on Fun for the past 3 years...see also SatandPCguy who posts his sucesses on a small dish in the Valencia area....its not as cut and dried as many think it might be, Believe me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Living here in Murcia my 1.35m dish with a correctly skewed LNB gets me all the UK TV on Astra 2 including regional and HD.
Travelling in Spain in a motorhome with a 85cm oyster, applying the same procedure gets me ITV,BBC, Chn4/5.
I have posted my findings on Fun for the past 3 years...see also SatandPCguy who posts his sucesses on a small dish in the Valencia area....its not as cut and dried as many think it might be, Believe me.

I respect your local knowledge. However, Satandpcguy does mention that the Valencia area does seem to be a magical receiving hotspot for the Astra 2 spot beam. I tried when in Valencia recently but with no joy, although I didn't try that hard ie. wiggling skew angle.

With the right climatic conditions, time of day and correct skew angle, I'm sure a successful connection with the Astra 2 spot beam could be made, as you infer, with an 85cm dish.

I've only just joined this forum so have not been aware of your previous 3 years of posts on this subject.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back