Which is the best Tom Tom for Europe? (1 Viewer)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We've decided to change our Garmin for a Tom Tom - is this wise? If so, which version would you recommend for UK and Europe at street level?

We want to be able to download poi's for aires etc. ( and McDonalds!!!:ROFLMAO: )

Don't want an all singing all dancing one - no music or phone needed!! Just the most basic one we can get away with but still arrive at the right place!

Any advice very welcome!!!:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Marie,
you mean you want the one I have then? you know the one I showed you in France?

£109. and will do everything you want, Mcdonalds, pizzahut, aires (including my secret ones:winky:)

Halfords is the place I got mine.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi Marie.

Please may I ask why you wish to change from Garmin to TomTom? I have a TomTom (3 years old) and am thinking of getting a Garmin :RollEyes: opposite to yourself. However, I have heard that although TomTom are good, the mapping is always less up to date than Garmin ones.

I also asked a Halfords Assistant manager last week.."Garmin or TomTom"? To which he replied "Well, we have 28 members of staff, 27 have Garmin, and one has TomTom..........The TomTom is owned by the Manager, and he was given it as a freebie by TomTom.........Does that answer your question Sir?"

Happy Travels

Adge x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I've been 8 months trying to sort out my TomTom XL Europe which does everything you need when it works. TomTom insist my problems are software related and will not take it back. I've fiddled about with it for so long I've gone back to my 6 year old Navman which is useless but reliable. I wouldn't buy another TomTom.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you purchase a Garmin at Halfords and have a problem Garmin have authorised Halfords to give you an immediate exchange. On the other hand if you get your Tomtom from Halfords Tomtom insist the unit is returned to them for repair or replacement.

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie,
you mean you want the one I have then? you know the one I showed you in France?

£109. and will do everything you want, Mcdonalds, pizzahut, aires (including my secret ones:winky:)

Halfords is the place I got mine.

Yes Paul, right in one!!:ROFLMAO: Which model is it though? :Eeek:

Hi Marie.

Please may I ask why you wish to change from Garmin to TomTom? I have a TomTom (3 years old) and am thinking of getting a Garmin :RollEyes: opposite to yourself. However, I have heard that although TomTom are good, the mapping is always less up to date than Garmin ones.

I
Happy Travels

Adge x

Well, it's basically down to availability of downloads! Our Garmin maps are now out of date and cost quite a bit for updates so we thought we'd look at our options! Of course in Spain any sat nav will always be out of date as they're building new roads and motorways so fast!

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well, it's basically down to availability of downloads! Our Garmin maps are now out of date and cost quite a bit for updates so we thought we'd look at our options! Of course in Spain any sat nav will always be out of date as they're building new roads and motorways so fast!

Garmin do a deal. Pay £99.99 and get map updates for the life of the unit.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I upgraded my ancient TomTom One this summer with more memory, latest software and Western Europe maps. The maps seem bang up to date in the UK but were well out of date in Europe, particularly France. Dead easy to get free downloads though such as All the Aires POI, WiFi spots etc etc. Ive had it for years and its never let me down.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've decided to change our Garmin for a Tom Tom

There is another way !

Navigate with your mobile phone, if it's up to it.

You can run TT or Copilot Live. Then you always have navigation with you.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have copilot on my mobile (believe me, I need it :ROFLMAO: ) It is brilliant and talks to you so you dont really need to see the screen ( though it would probably help )

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Think you'll find Tom Tom is the more popular choice, make sure to select one that includes western Europe.

click here
TomTom One EU
V4 Classic, UK & WE maps
looks good

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Hope this helps my Gamin works better here in Spain than it did in the U.K and before any one ask i got it in the U.K
Have fun in the sun:ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
What did we do before sat-nav ????
Do what I do !!!
Use a bloody map !!!
If you get lost, so what !
You find lovely places by happenstance !!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

A map is fine when you have some one else to check your progress, but on your own, it's a nightmare.
Unless of course you drive like the Spanish and the French do, with the map on your steering wheel.
I use a TomTom and it's pretty accurate, though one should always apply some common sense as well.
Yes getting lost can be OK too, unless it's in the middle of Paris, Madrid, etc. etc. etc.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
What did we do before sat-nav ????
Do what I do !!!
Use a bloody map !!!
If you get lost, so what !
You find lovely places by happenstance !!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We find sat nav really useful in cities. for getting around the outskirts of cities and for when Rex is driving - if I have to read the map intently I get travel sick!:cry: So, I stop reading it and then we come to a junction and I don't know where we are!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We always have the map open at the right page but at least I have the option not to use it!
Rex reads it all the time when I'm driving and then takes me down narrow roads in the middle of villages! ( sometimes when Ray and Joan are following in their Winnebago too!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Anyway, how can you be lost when you don't care where you are???:roflmto::roflmto:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I use TomTom on my PDA & have loads of maps, we are looking for a GPS where we can put in the vehicle size as we are fed up with some of the almost impossible routes TomTom picks. Up to now I haven't seen one that will give good European coverage using the size of the van, most only give partial coverage using the size to plan the route.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I use TomTom on my PDA & have loads of maps, we are looking for a GPS where we can put in the vehicle size as we are fed up with some of the almost impossible routes TomTom picks. Up to now I haven't seen one that will give good European coverage using the size of the van, most only give partial coverage using the size to plan the route.

As I have said many times, use your satnav as a guide only and apply common sense.
If the road it want's to send you down looks a bit dodgy, carry on past and it will recalculate for you.
If all else fails, stop and get the map out, and set a different route.
It ain't rocket science after all.
Your satnav is just trying to get you there by the quickest route possible.

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
As I have said many times, use your satnav as a guide only and apply common sense.
If the road it want's to send you down looks a bit dodgy, carry on past and it will recalculate for you.
If all else fails, stop and get the map out, and set a different route.
It ain't rocket science after all.
Your satnav is just trying to get you there by the quickest route possible.

I think most of us do actually use it that way - otherwise there would be an awful lot of topless motorhomes around!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Think we're going to Halfords tomorrow to get the TomTom ONE Europe V4 Classic at £119.99 - we'll see how we get on with that!

Thanks everyone for your input - it's very useful and most welcome!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have a Tom Tom One and used it for our months trip round France this year. I updated it with the lates Europe maps (can't remember how much!) and downloaded the Aires. It was probably the best piece of kit we had on board as it stopped hubby shouting at me when we went the wrong way. It took me a while to stop questioning the route it would take us, I thought I knew better but never did!!
One night, out of boredom hubby was fiddling around with the settings. he found a racing car instead of the arrow, an Irish voice because it sounded unusual and found lots more info he could put on the bottom screen such as GPS setting, mileage etc.. only problem was when he came to use it the next day there was so much on the screen he couldn't read it and he couldn't understand the Irish fella giving him instructions so we had to pull over and put it back to factory settings :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As a Garmin user I must declare my bias. However, before choosing I suggest you make sure that whatever you buy can take destination inputs in the form of Latitude & Longitude co-ordinates. We bought a Garmin Nüvi 250W two years ago because, at that time, Tom-Tom did not accept co-ords (according to the sales guy in Halfords). Also, it is useful if the co-ords input section can be switched to allow for different formats (DD.DDDD, DD MM.MMM, DD MM SS) - Garmin can do this. Books such as Camperstop Europe use DD MM SS whereas a lot of publications now use DD.DDD and you do not want to be carrying out a conversion whilst on the move.

Final thought on POIs. Whilst a lot of websites provide OV2 format for Tom Tom, many also provide csv which will go straight into a Garmin. Also OV2 can easily be converted to csv or the Garmin gpx format with free down-loadable software or with a website utility. There is more free conversion software available for Windoze PCs than for Macs.

Philip

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A We bought a Garmin Nüvi 250W two years ago because, at that time, Tom-Tom did not accept co-ords (according to the sales guy in Halfords).

Philip

Typical Halfrauds .. :Doh:

My TT is more than two year old and accepts either format of co ordinates .. the main reason for buying was to replace a useless Magellan Roadmate 700 , which cost over £600 five years ago :cry:

jim

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have 3 systems. All bought to do different things.

Alpine DVD based system which is part of Radio/DVD player. Fitted in 2005 & to update mapping & software the new DVD is £200. A fantastic bit of kit with a 7" screen. Has traffic updates & reclculates so fast that sometimes I don't think it can have done it.

A Garmin Quest bought for walking & cycling but can be used as an in car system. Has a 20hour battery life. Does lots of things adequately but none brilliantly. Main con is the small screen.

A TomTom One XL UK. Bought it for the dragon as a present. She thinks it's great. I find the operating system is very intuitive

I don't understand the need for the latest mapping if you use sat nav as an aid rather than follow it blindly. When I see a new road not shown on my sat nav I make a decision from the sign info. Mostly only use the old roads if I'm looking for somewhere to stop. I do however get the latest maps because I mostly wildcamp and a new road might change where I look for a place to stop.

If I had to get a new system for the van now I would buy the TomTom One XL Europe. The intuitive software & the fact that most POI downloads that I see are in TomTom format are the reasons.

BUT as long as I've got a system that gets me there in conjunction with the latest maps I'll keep what I've got.:thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
In future I would buy one from a shop. I bought one online and if there are problems you are referred to the TomTom online helpline. They require YOU to do all the complex software remedies yourself if it goes wrong. I've spent about 24 hrs on about 10 occasions still trying to get mine going. Had I bought it from Halford's I could take it back and they would get TomTom to sort it.

If you must have a TomTom the XL Europe has a better size screen than the one you are inteding to buy. When it works its great.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We've decided to change our Garmin for a Tom Tom - is this wise? If so, which version would you recommend for UK and Europe at street level?

We want to be able to download poi's for aires etc. ( and McDonalds!!!:ROFLMAO: )

Don't want an all singing all dancing one - no music or phone needed!! Just the most basic one we can get away with but still arrive at the right place!

No, stick with garmin the support is excellent, and you can plan routes easily on your PC using Mapsource. My nuvi 770 started playing up, it is 19 months old and well out of warranty. no questions asked they sent me a brand new replacement. when I said it had more up to date maps then my old one, they sent me latest mapping DVD as well. I have stuck with them since 2000 they are very good.

try taking a TT back to hellfords, they have to send it away whereas Garmin they will replace there and then.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Tom-Tom did not accept co-ords (according to the sales guy in Halfords).

There is more free conversion software available for Windoze PCs than for Macs.

Philip

When I bought my TT classic in 04 TT didn't accept Co-ods but an update to the op. Sys. in 05 changed this.

From my experience their is plenty of free conversion software for PC's I have yet to find a poi that I haven't been able to convert to TT format, go on the gps-data-team.com site and you can do it there. My favourite is poiedit, but there plenty of others.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back