Adding extra solar (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi guys

I already have 2 solar panels, which were professionally installed.(with two Victron controllers)

Am now considering adding a further panel myself.

Is it purely a case of connecting directly to the leisure batteries, or do I somehow have to take the existing solar into account?

Are there likely to be comparability issues between different solar equipment?

Can you have too much solar - I have 320ah of batteries and a 2kw inverter

Any suggestions for kit suppliers?

Would appreciate any suggestions / comments?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Robert

I have seen the question asked before "can you have too much solar" and I don't believe anybody suggested "yes" my only comment was as long as you don't exceed the maximum charge rate of your batteries and that's not going to happen with 320ah.

We have 320watts feeding 320ah of Gel batteries and 2kw inverter so very similar set up to what you are aiming for, yes you will end up a lot of the time with more power than you need but you will appreciate the extra on a grey day.

You don't say if your current set up goes straight to the batteries or via your van panel to count amps in and out etc, if yours already go direct I would just add more. You could run two panels into a Votronic MPPT controller and that would give you the S+ feature which will switch a AES fridge over to solar running from your hab batteries (check where your fridge is fed from currently).

We certainly don't have any issues but run two votronic controllers, each solar controller will just see the battery voltage and react accordingly, ours get to a point where one controller decides that the battery terminal voltage is high enough for it to go to sleep and let the remaining one do the work if you wanted to ask votronic I found their technical help via Email to be spot on.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Martin
Thanks for your input
I believe that the existing solar goes direct to the batteries.
Hadn't thought about connecting to fridge, thank you

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
Thanks for your input
I believe that the existing solar goes direct to the batteries.
Hadn't thought about connecting to fridge, thank you

Robert
It's just one light signal wire to your S+ if you have a modern fridge or a signal wire plus a diode if you have an older AES like ours that only has D+.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe that solar panels are like cold beers in the fridge...

You can never have too many.

But, of course, they all must go through the charge controller which has to be rufty tufty enough to cope with their collective (maximum) output.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I believe that solar panels are like cold beers in the fridge...

You can never have too many.

But, of course, they all must go through the charge controller which has to be rufty tufty enough to cope with their collective (maximum) output.

Hi JJ
My two existing panels each have their own individual controller
My extra panels would have their own controller too - so I'm assuming there would not be a problem ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ
My extra panels would have their own controller too - so I'm assuming there would not be a problem ?

...I wouldn't think so... but...

my Hymer doesn't have any modern electronic stuff... I have a panel which shows me the voltage of either the leisure or engine battery and the amps in or out of the leisure batteries.

20160724_111242.jpg

I am puzzled why you have separate controllers for each panel though... is this so if one controller fails you have the other one still working?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi JJ
Not sure why you have two regulators, is your battery bank split?
The normal way of adding an additional panel is to parallel the panels (providing the regulator can handle the power) easily achieved on the roof with MC4 connectors, having 2 regulators without knowing how they are wired complicates things.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am puzzled why you have separate controllers for each panel though... is this so if one controller fails you have the other one still working?

The existing panels were installed by Vanbitz

I understand that the two panels are individually controlled because they are individually connected to the batteries in parallel, which I'm guessing may be more efficient.

Our MH control panel can monitor solar if you use the 'Carthago' approved controller. We're using Victron so can't use this feature.

As such each panel is independent of the other and has no connection or integration with the on board electrical monitoring, other than battery voltage.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not sure why you have two regulators, is your battery bank split?
The normal way of adding an additional panel is to parallel the panels (providing the regulator can handle the power) easily achieved on the roof with MC4 connectors, having 2 regulators without knowing how they are wired complicates things.

We have one bank of 4 batteries
The original 2 were moved from their locker to the garage and a further two were added. Has worked fine over the last year, however just want a bit more resilience in case of poorer weather or increased consumption.

I was thinking of adding another single panel, with its own dedicated controller and a new connection to the leisure batteries.

Do you think that having multiple controllers will confuse things ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The existing panels were installed by Vanbitz

I understand that the two panels are individually controlled because they are individually connected to the batteries in parallel, which I'm guessing may be more efficient.

Our MH control panel can monitor solar if you use the 'Carthago' approved controller. We're using Victron so can't use this feature.

As such each panel is independent of the other and has no connection or integration with the on board electrical monitoring, other than battery voltage.
You seem to have a wierd setup if it has two panels with two controllers. One controller of a suitable spec can be connected to umpteen panels. If you can post a picture of them it should show if you can add a third panel to one of the existing controllers. I can't see why you need to buy a third controller. The new panel can be connected in series or parallel with an existing panel. Victron recommend in series, or at least that's what the instructions on mine say. It may be different for other controllers or panels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Some Victron's have outputs that work with Elektroblocks I would have thought it could be possible to work with a CBE charger, could be worth talking to Victron.

Do you think that having multiple controllers will confuse things ?
Should be OK, no different to having the alternator supplying a charge current with a solar regulator connected, the highest voltage will take priority.
Does appear complicated why have three regulators when one will do the job adequately.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You seem to have a wierd setup if it has two panels with two controllers. One controller of a suitable spec can be connected to umpteen panels. If you can post a picture of them it should show if you can add a third panel to one of the existing controllers. I can't see why you need to buy a third controller. The new panel can be connected in series or parallel with an existing panel. Victron recommend in series, or at least that's what the instructions on mine say. It may be different for other controllers or panels.

Does this help?

image.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Victron recommend in series, or at least that's what the instructions on mine say. It may be different for other controllers or panels.
Connected in series is slightly more efficient if both panels have a clear view of the sky, in practice they are better in parallel as if one panel gets some shade on it the other panel will continue producing full output.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So the question is
Can you connect multiple controllers to the same battery?

Edit - Just read @Lenny HB previous post

Thanks Lenny - my thoughts were the same

Last edited by a moderator:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...roller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15-&-MPPT-100-15-EN.pdf

Your Victron controllers are each capable of having 200 watt input from solar panels so unless you existing panels are larger than 100watts then you could just add another panel in parallel to one of your existing panels and an existing controller would cope with it so no internal wiring just a couple of Y pieces on the roof to join into the existing cabling by the seem of it.

However why did Eddie fit 2 panels and 2 controllers - does he know something we don't know about the controllers or does it just make good sense in case one fails the other keeps going and so gives you some redundancy?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...roller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15-&-MPPT-100-15-EN.pdf

Your Victron controllers are each capable of having 200 watt input from solar panels so unless you existing panels are larger than 100watts then you could just add another panel in parallel to one of your existing panels and an existing controller would cope with it so no internal wiring just a couple of Y pieces on the roof to join into the existing cabling by the seem of it.

However why did Eddie fit 2 panels and 2 controllers - does he know something we don't know about the controllers or does it just make good sense in case one fails the other keeps going and so gives you some redundancy?

Thanks very much

I've just reached the same conclusion myself about simply adding more panels in parallel with the existing ones.

Just need to find some slimline panels now as I've only got limited space

Robert

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks very much

I've just reached the same conclusion myself about simply adding more panels in parallel with the existing ones.

Just need to find some slimline panels now as I've only got limited space

Robert
They don't need to be the same size might be easier to fit a couple 40 Watt or 60 Watt panels instead of a 100 Watt or a 40 & 60

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They don't need to be the same size might be easier to fit a couple 40 Watt or 60 Watt panels instead of a 100 Watt or a 40 & 60
Thanks Lenny - I'm coming round to that solution
60 watt panels will fit
80 watt seem to be wider (670mm)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't forget this one if you want a slimline 100W panel, 1600 * 410
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/slimline-100w-solar-panel-fit.124463/
But expensive but it might be possible to get them sent directly from Italy. I'm thinking of buying a second so I will try that, but if you want to try first! :)

Edit: Just checked and the solar panel website seems down at the moment, temporarily I hope. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are you sure your existing panels are only 100W? The reason for asking is the next size up Victron controller, which can take over 400W, is wider and couldn't be fitted in the same way. So if he fitted two 120W panels then fitting two smaller controllers was the neatest solution.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you sure your existing panels are only 100W? The reason for asking is the next size up Victron controller, which can take over 400W, is wider and couldn't be fitted in the same way. So if he fitted two 120W panels then fitting two smaller controllers was the neatest solution.
Yes I'm sure the existing panels are 100w
Have ordered a couple of 60w panels, going to connect one to each of the existing panels.
Thanks

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sounds a good plan. That way you will probably not need to disturb the wires going through the roof.
Exactly - all the work is done externally. There are special cable splitters designed for this purpose too.
Hoping it will be a straightforward job

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
When you buy the cable splitters, if using Ebay, make sure that they are coming from the UK. I didn't notice that mine were coming from Hong Kong and took weeks to arrive!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back