better to book return from France in England or from France (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi is it cheaper to book and pay for a ferry crossing back to England beforehand or when I am in France..i would be looking at at least 7 days notice to the ferry company when in France. ..if you get what I am trying to ask .Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think it makes a great deal of difference other than the closer you get to your crossing date the more expensive it will be.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Khizzie If you are referring to Brittany Ferries it costs no more to book two single journeys rather than a return. If you book a return there is no additional charge to change the return crossing date provided that you make the change at least 7 days before the sailing date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never ever book a return..Just ring a few days before we come home,,,,BUSBY.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
It always amazes me how folk can try to save a couple o quid on ferry crossings etc, you are on a journey.
Who knows when then journey will end.
Get on with it, that few quid saving won't fit too well in your coffin,
And you won't be able to spend it

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We never book a return. It means we can just please ourselves when we head back to the coast rather than having to run to a scheduled timetable. We don't have to try to calculate how far we can go before turning back. It means that the 'holiday' continues to the end rather than 50% being return journey. Then book crossing in the next day or two when near to channel.

Wyn

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Off topic a bit but

Yesterday I booked one way France/England on the train and there was a huge difference between € and £ prices, they were using about 1.40 to calculate the former.

But to take advantage of this one needs a € card or bank account.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It always amazes me how folk can try to save a couple o quid on ferry crossings etc, you are on a journey.
Who knows when then journey will end.
Get on with it, that few quid saving won't fit too well in your coffin,
And you won't be able to spend it
I agree ,however I needed to have a,return date to meet family coming from the USA ,as for saving a few quid yep ! That can go on fuel to do my next trip .. sorted.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
dfds are having a sale on ferry price.

just booked for september, £28 out,£34 return in our rv.Just over 10 metres but it was ok last time

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Jus
dfds are having a sale on ferry price.

just booked for september, £28 out,£34 return in our rv.Just over 10 metres but it was ok last time

Hi @ianandkath just looking ahead to our return end sept early oct. is this Dover Calais route and and can the dates be changed or is it a non refundable time specific ticket?

@Autowbars every penny helps. With neither of us working (our choice) if we can save on the likes of ferry tickets it all helps to keep this lifestyle going longer. Just looking at our route back and if we travel via Calais instead of cherbourg even with extra fuel to C we can save in the region of £300 on a return which will pay for a site in Kent for a month whilst we're back for mots and seeing family.

Happy Sunday all.

Shawn

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Just a word of caution - if you're only booking one-way, check your travel insurance will still cover you, especially if there's a limit to the number of days per trip you're allowed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back