whiskers27

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
none yet but hopefully many
When I had my caravan and i turned up on a site late and it was raining or freezeing i can never remember a fellow caravaner asking if I would like a cuppa or any help however a few times I have been offered help and a drink by a motorhome owner, maybe its just i pitched next to unhelpful people in caravans.

Another thing i have noticed is the short space of time between my bad back and pig flu i went to the lincoln show, the amount of waves we got from fellow motorhome owners but i never did from other caravan owners.

Im just wondering why this is.

Cheers all

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Did you waveat at motorhome when you had a caravan,did you ask if they would like a cuppa if they was pitched next to you,in your caravan ????????? :Doh:
Arizona Chief

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Heres the strange thing. We sometimes wave at caravans, partly to cheer them up and also to play a game on route where you guess how many will pass before you get a wave back. Not many do wave. You can tell they have seem you by the look on their faces but not many acknowledge us. However, we played this game in Europe and particulary France and despite some ignoring us most were overjoyed and waved back. Why do you think that is then? Couldnt be our old class system once again could it? At the end of the day we are all campers!

Right go on then, rant away at me for being a tugger lover!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
caravans, like tractors are the things causing the traffic jams in Devon, motorhomes (apart from the Beast) just fly along. I once tried fulltiming in a caravan for a whole six months but soon went back to a motorhome. The caravan was tatally relient on sites. Once you make that break from EHU and become self sufficient everything changes and you become happier, thats why motorhomers smile, wave and have fun. We have learnt the secret. Cut the umbilical and grow up, hee hee

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
When I had my caravan and i turned up on a site late and it was raining or freezeing i can never remember a fellow caravaner asking if I would like a cuppa or any help however a few times I have been offered help and a drink by a motorhome owner, maybe its just i pitched next to unhelpful people in caravans.

Parked on a camp site near Cheltenham with 4 caravans. Nobody said a word to us, despite greeting them with a friendly "Morning". Thought my bald head and stunning good looks had put them off. ::bigsmile: On our last day a motorhome turned up and they came straight over for a chat.

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Like Barryd we play that game,just to see who will wuve back to american RV ???.me and Shirl wuve at caravans european motorhome,all of them just to see who will wuve back,a lot do but some,will not go into that.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
The wife waves at horse boxes and buses.

She still hasn't figured out what a motorhome looks like on the other side of the road. :ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just one more thing. Please dont wave across serveral lanes of motorway, in fact on any motorway / dual carriageway. Its dangerous and I wont wave back.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Just one more thing. Please dont wave across serveral lanes of motorway, in fact on any motorway / dual carriageway. Its dangerous and I wont wave back.

I'll mention it to the wife. :thumb:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I personally wave to ALL motorhomes and if they don't wave back, then my wave turns into a 'tosser' wave ::bigsmile:

I was a tugger for about 10yrs, joined my local CC (Yorkshire Dales Club) and went away once with them, what a total set of wannabe snobs! never went again.
Seems to me there is a pecking order with tuggers from the £150 caravaners with a G reg Cavalier (which seem the nicest) to the full blown brand new bessicarrrrrr every year with matching Range Rover (who seem to be the tossers in my experience and stick to their horsie lot).

One of my daughters accidently hit a new bessicar with one of those really light beachballs to which the owner came out screeming at her, when I went over to explain it was an accident and that it would not do any damage he said "you must think I'm stupid if you think I don't know what damage a football can do to a £27,000 caravan!"
I said " noooo, I think your stupid to pay £27,000 for box made of aluminium to stick in the middle of a field mate!" :roflmto:

Boo

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
The first trip out in our motorhome we quickly noticed that on the road people in other motorhomes waved at us. the first two MH's must have thought that we were stuck up as we were so surprised that we did not wave! However that was quickly rectified and we now appoint an official spotter and waver! I also tried waving at caravan's but the lack of response and the looks of distain made me stop that fairly quickly.

We have noticed that other MH owners do come over and have a chat and are generally more friendly although we cannot put all caravanners in the unfriendly catagory either.

Howie has very strong tea bags (the same blend that Scott had when he went to Antarctica) and is happy to offer a cup of tea to anyone rather than share his beer:beerchug:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
As a tugger for a number of years, I have to disagree. Though I have to say, 99% of my tugging time was outside the UK.
I always found tuggers to be very helpful and on the whole, more so than motorhomers, since I switched.
Even now I have made more friends with tuggers than with motorhomers.
I have an A class and a Hymer and find that owners of these motorhomes are guilty of the worst kind snobbishness. Owners of N&b and Concord's being the worst of all.
RV owners think that if you don't own at least 30' of Yank metal you ain't worth talking to.

Pete:Cool:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
We once owned a boat and had a great bunch of friends on the river. Sold that and got a caravan met a couple of people that was ok then met an RVer that was great so sold the caravan and got a nice little RV best thing we ever did. Went on one site and a caravaner said hope your not going to have that flag flapping all night keeping me awake but he had his genny on about 6hours a day.
We have a friend with a hymer and know caravaners euro owners and RVers and at the end of the day we all do the same thing enjoy our time away in our 2nd homes.
I always wave at campers no matter what they are in and most times they wave back.
Shirl

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are wavers, but when the wife drops off , I engage autopilot and wave with both hands ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Having been caravanners for about 12 years before getting our MH, we do find that MH'ers area a more friendly bunch!

There definitely does seem to be this "us and them" to some degree between Caravanners and MH'ers?

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I personally wave to ALL motorhomes and if they don't wave back, then my wave turns into a 'tosser' wave ::bigsmile:

Boo

:ROFLMAO: I like it and perhaps we should all start using the "tosser" wave! Totally unrelated but your post reminded me of the last pages of Bravo Two Zero where at the end of Gulf War one an airliner is sent to Bagdad to pick up the British and American prisoners of war. As they fly back to Saudi 2 American Fighter planes come up along side and in true American Fashion salute at the returning heros and emotionally and proudly the American service men on the plane salute back. A few minutes later two British Tornados fly up alongside and through the window mouth "W..kers" and give our lads the "tosser" wave. Classic.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When I had my caravan and i turned up on a site late and it was raining or freezeing i can never remember a fellow caravaner asking if I would like a cuppa or any help however a few times I have been offered help and a drink by a motorhome owner....
Funny you mention this as it's totally the opposite experience for me.

Recently on site in east Germany i had a 'tugger' park up not far from me. German guy travelling alone. Went over to speak and he immediately offered me a seat, poured a beer and we struck up conversation pretty quick. Took meals together each evening until after four days we went our seperate ways to continue our tour. Five weeks later on my way back through Germany I contacted him and we've since become good friends and keep in touch.

As for the many other campervan and motorhome folks I came across during my travels, few if any showed any friendliness, and some were simply downright snoots.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
After following all of this thread I refer you to my earlier post. The class system is obviously alive and well. The German tugger above sounds a thoroughly decent chap. I reckon us brits are the worse offenders when it comes to class. I think you would have to be pretty clued up (and very sad) to be a MH owner of a certain model and to look down at other MH's because they are in your opinion inferior. I wouldn’t have a clue if a MH was less or more prestigious than mine. They all pretty much seem alike to me. I wouldn’t know if my Swift Kontiki is a Lada or a Rolls and personally I don’t care as long as it keeps working. Makes no difference to me if you drive a tranny van with a garden shed bolted on top or a 30 ft twin axel dream machine, Ill crack a beer with you providing your friendly and up for a laugh. When I lived on a housing estate in a town it was like that, the people over the road looked down on the people on the other side because their houses were slightly better and they drove a GL Mondeo rather than an L. Pathetic. Now I live in a village where there are millionaires, your avg joe blogs and one or two older residents that haven’t got a pot to P..s in but we all drink together and help each other out. No snobbery here. Perhaps because there is such diversity.

You know if people think you don’t like them they will put up defences. The way tuggers get a beating on here. If they read stuff on MH forums, it’s no wonder they are not friendly. Same goes for the Germans I reckon. They think we hate them so are often a bit brash and defensive when you initially meet them but hold out a hand of friendship and I think they are quite friendly. In fact after spending 3 months in Europe this summer I reckon the least friendly nation we came across are us, the British.

Cor! quite philosophical for me this time in the morning, think I best do some work instead of spending half my life on here!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
We once owned a boat and had a great bunch of friends on the river. Sold that and got a caravan met a couple of people that was ok then met an RVer that was great so sold the caravan and got a nice little RV best thing we ever did. Went on one site and a caravaner said hope your not going to have that flag flapping all night keeping me awake but he had his genny on about 6hours a day.
We have a friend with a hymer and know caravaners euro owners and RVers and at the end of the day we all do the same thing enjoy our time away in our 2nd homes.
I always wave at campers no matter what they are in and most times they wave back.
Shirl

can i ask did you wave at a 5ver on the saturday afternoon that was heading away from lincoln towards the motorway, if so thankyou its the first time i have been waved at, have to be honest i was supprised as we are usually not waved at by either group.

maggie

Last edited:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Interesting thread.
We set off 18 months ago fulltiming in our 20 year old Pilote C-class. 8 months on the road, decided we liked the life so changed the van for one with a few improvements. So now have a very sleek-looking 4 year old LeVoyageur with a covered trailer for the Smart Cabrio.
Here is the odd thing...
We find it much harder to get to know people now than we did with the old van. We are the same people but I suspect others see the rig and decide we are unapproachable:cry:
Think I'm going to paint it with hippie flowers:Cool:
Patrick

G

gibbo

Deleted User
'ow about nodding to motorcycles???? What? Let me expalin, I ride a motorcycle and we riders do acknowledge each other with a nod.

Consequently when I ride home from work on a Friday evening I'll nod in the usual manner.

Then I get in the van and drive off for the weekend and when I see either a motorcylist or a motorhome I get in a mess and end up waving and nodding:ROFLMAO:

Years ago when we had an old VW, ahhhh. I noticed drivers of old VW's vans would wave at other old VW vans but not at newer vans and vice versa, strange!

In the end it comes down to the people involved.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
'ow about nodding to motorcycles???? What? Let me expalin, I ride a motorcycle and we riders do acknowledge each other with a nod.

Consequently when I ride home from work on a Friday evening I'll nod in the usual manner.

Then I get in the van and drive off for the weekend and when I see either a motorcylist or a motorhome I get in a mess and end up waving and nodding:ROFLMAO:

Years ago when we had an old VW, ahhhh. I noticed drivers of old VW's vans would wave at other old VW vans but not at newer vans and vice versa, strange!

In the end it comes down to the people involved.

Yep and Bikers are just the same I find. Mrs D and I fly about on a 100cc Peugeot Speedfight that we carry on the back of the van. Been all over europe on that little bike and its been the best biking fun I ever had (had bigger bikes when younger). Do bikers give you the nod? No they dont, the odd scooter does and if you nod at big bikes they often look at you like your mad. We wave at MH's from the bike which usually causes great looks of confusion!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Most of Harley riders are worst they really think that they are a different class of person, above any other biker. I just do my own thing and acknowledge any one on a motorbike, either with a nod or a wave. The bikers in Europe stick a leg out to acknowledge you.

John.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Most of Harley riders are worst they really think that they are a different class of person, above any other biker. I just do my own thing and acknowledge any one on a motorbike, either with a nod or a wave. The bikers in Europe stick a leg out to acknowledge you.

John.

Ahhhhhhhh! Now you mention it a few did stick their legs out to our little bike. I just thought they were tired and needed a stretch!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bikers ,i have abig drifter ,yes i get nods i also have a rare suzuki tu250g grasstracker still get waves/nods. but the best is when on the dax/monkek most people laugh n wave,but if you ride a dax/monkey you are laughing all the time as its so much fun. as for germans i find most of them very friendly. as barry says the miserable ones abroad are the english. just wave at every body van or camper so long as you are happy it will spread if we try really hard. i speak to every body even more so if they look miserable ,makes them more miserable then. cheers alan.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
After following all of this thread I refer you to my earlier post. The class system is obviously alive and well. The German tugger above sounds a thoroughly decent chap. I reckon us brits are the worse offenders when it comes to class.

Makes no difference to me if you drive a tranny van with a garden shed bolted on top or a 30 ft twin axel dream machine, Ill crack a beer with you providing your friendly and up for a laugh.

The way tuggers get a beating on here. If they read stuff on MH forums, it’s no wonder they are not friendly. Same goes for the Germans I reckon. They think we hate them so are often a bit brash and defensive when you initially meet them but hold out a hand of friendship and I think they are quite friendly.
Brilliantly written post. One of the best i've had the pleasure of reading on this forum in a long time. :thumb:
I cannot add anything to it as you have said it all perfectly!!

As for my German tugger pal, he must have been 'listening' as i've just had a text message from him this evening!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Brilliantly written post. One of the best i've had the pleasure of reading on this forum in a long time. :thumb:
I cannot add anything to it as you have said it all perfectly!!

As for my German tugger pal, he must have been 'listening' as i've just had a text message from him this evening!

Cheers for that. I think its ok to have a laugh and take the p..s out of each other but wouldnt it be great if we all stopped looking down at each other and just went out there and enjoyed our common interests?

I think we should start a bit of campaign on here. Called "Lets hug a Tugger!" Next time your on a CL or a campsite, give it a go, be extra nice and see if we can break down some barriers.

I reckon all those weeks floating about Europe this year has brought back my hippy attitude from when I was young and my Glasto days. Cant be a bad thing.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back