Carpets (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
What's the consensus with carpets do people leave them down or just leave the laminate floor exposed?
Our carpet is loose so would need to secure it thinking of some double sided velcro. However we are thinking it's easier to keep clean without the carpet. We cannot decide just wondered what peeps view is on carpet.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Leave them down and vacuum them in my case, but give it a clean once a year with a wet carpet cleaner. Comes up a different colour after we've been on a few muddy sites!

I've got a very absorbent mat just inside the doorway to try and get the worst off the kid's feet before they trample through the van. That gets stuffed in the washing machine every now & then. Had to fix it down with press studs to the floor, driving us mad with it sliding about.

I figure when time comes to sell the van if I want to I can soon (and fairly cheaply) get a new bit of carpet cut to size and edged to smarten the van up.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We both dislike carpets because they hold the dirt and grit and we are not going to take a hoover away with us and its easier to brush out the van with no carpets in! The carpets are therefore still like new up in our roof!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've stored the Hymer carpets and bought an off cut, cut it to shape & size, had the edges bound, now we have one piece in cab and one in main area of van but only use a 'dirt catcher' mat by the sink (kitchen) area with a door mat in the doorway, this way the mud etc gets caught before it reaches the sitting area.
The Hymer carpets, all 3 of them, are safe and clean for when/if we want to sell!
It's easy to replace them when they get a bit too mucky!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Made my own from cheap Gel backed carpet, cheap enough to throw away & replace when they get grubby. If you like beaches & sand better not to have carpets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Removed & stored ours and replaced them with fitted cotton absorbent mats (stuff you see at the entrance of Banks, Libraries, other public buildings) cut to cover the whole floor. There are a few sellers of ex-public building mats that have been cleaned - one of whom attends at least one of the Warners shows. Before you (or your dogs) have taken more than a couple of paces into the van feet are dry - brilliant stuff.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got laminate in the bathroom and kitchen/dining area and a fixed carpet in the lounge area so we've no choice but not been a problem as we take shoes off at the door and I've a vacuum on board to keep on top of it whilst away and give it a good clean when we get home.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Just purchaced my Motorhome in March all carpets seemed good and clean, just cleaned them with a Vax wet cleaner and what a difference, I could not believe it. The bedroom and the toilet and the landing for want of a better word all were removable the lounge was not I will not be puting in the toilet one back but the rest I will and wet clean once a year.
I think if I were to choose I would like Laminate all the way through, but as the lounge has been fitted with carpet before the seats etc I have no option.
Best Wishes Tony

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Carpets make me squirm. Won't have them in the house. Took them up in the motorhome day I bought it, rolled them and kept in largest locker. Put them back day before I sold it. Looked fine.
It was much easier brushing the laminate and wiping it over with a cloth and spray cleaner. 5 minute job.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Lift the carpets as soon as I bought the van and stored in the loft at home until time to sell!! Much prefer 2/3 machine washable rugs - but then I do have a 'muck magnet' as my travelling companion, (see avatar!)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Took ours out after a couple of years - laminate floors OK as long as you wear slippers. Carpets attract far too much mess

poolie18

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohawk
Exp
Getting longer
Never laid ours in our new van due to our friend on the left shedding hair like a tree sheds leaves in the autumn. We have cushioned vinyl flooring which is swept every morning and a couple of small rugs in well used areas which are shaken and brushed.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends what we're doing. On a normal trip they stay down, if we're going somewhere that's likely to be wet, i.e. a music festival, we take them out.

We've also had another set made which we use and the original Rapido ones are at home in the garage.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi there I don't want to hijack this thread but my setup is fitted carpet in the lounge you can't take up, so I want to protect it as much as I can. I've tried putting a rug down but it creeps like it's trying to escape the Motorhome. I've tried googling how to stop carpet creep but to no avail.
People can tell me how to build a rocket to get to the moon or blow up the earth but not how to stop carpet creep. Any copyright info will be kept strictly between me and you.
Hope you can help.
Best Wishes Tony

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
There are 2 things you can do!

There is stuff sold to solve this issue. It's a sort of sticky mesh netting sold just like carpet off the roll. Trago Mills sell it down our way but you should be able to get it from a carpet store. You cut it to fit your rug and put it between the carpet and rug. We have used it in the past and it works reasonably well but we only used it in the house.

You can also buy a clear plastic carpet protector, sold by length, which has lots of sharp protrusions underneath to bite into the carpet to hold it in the same place. That's like a carpet runner for a high traffic area like the hall though a bit different to what you are after.

Google anti slip rug underlay - the rug seller has it in various shapes and sizes

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
carpets - took them up on one long trip & found sand/grit all over laminate not nice, better to have it on the carpets & shake/brush them out now & again. Have wet washed them & they come up fine so now just leave them down & put long rugs over the top in walkways.
I have a rechargeable Vax cleaner that is my main vacuum at home so i just take that with me & use when needed.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
carpets - took them up on one long trip & found sand/grit all over laminate not nice, better to have it on the carpets & shake/brush them out now & again.

Hi There the carpet in my lounge and kitchen is fixed under the fittings so it has to stay down unless I cut it out, which I don't want to do. The bedroom and walkway through to the bedroom and also the toilet are removeable so no problem there. I did clean my carpets recently and they cleaned up very well. Putting rugs down I seem to spend most of the time away pulling the rugs back into position, it is annoying to say the least. I will try what Abacist recommends and see if that helps.
Many Thanks Tony

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
When we bought our MH it didn't have carpets, but they make the van feel much warmer and more cosy when its a little chilly outside - and living in Scotland, that's quite often. They also make the van quieter - whether driving or when the grand-kids are in full swing. We chose some carpet from a warehouse, cut it to shape for the lounge/cab and rear bunk beds, and got the edges sewn at this great wee place in Glasgow... http://cj-carpetbinding.co.uk/

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
When we bought our MH it didn't have carpets, but they make the van feel much warmer and more cosy when its a little chilly outside - and living in Scotland, that's quite often. They also make the van quieter - whether driving or when the grand-kids are in full swing. We chose some carpet from a warehouse, cut it to shape for the lounge/cab and rear bunk beds, and got the edges sewn at this great wee place in Glasgow... http://cj-carpetbinding.co.uk/
How much did they charge to bind edges?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How much did they charge to bind edges?

I got 2 sets made, i.e. cut out and whip stitched, plus the originals deep cleaned for £145 from a place near us.

The roll end I picked more or less perfectly made 2 sets for the van.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Soon places bind the carpet edges for free if you buy your carpets from them and ask them about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back