Navara Roll Top + Fifth Wheeler Hitch (1 Viewer)

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Hi All, Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to fit a Fifth Wheel Hitch to a Navara with a Roll Top please, If So How what is the secret.???:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i imagine you mean a roll top toneau cover over the bed? i would think a goose neck would go in . or have clip in /out fifth wheel .sure someone with a nissan will be here in a minute.what do you want to pull ?cheers alan.

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I am looking at a Kountry Lite fiver from Calder but I have been told the Roll Top will have to come off but I have also been told that it doesnt, I contacted Alex at Calder and he has never fitted a hitch to one with a roll top so he cannot help me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you mean a leather look roll top to fit over the bed,, "Yes" it will, because the 5th wheel coupling is lower than the top of the sides of the bed,,,,, if you get where I am coming from.

But you will not be able to run with the 5er connected to the truck with the roll top out or over the back.. you will be able to unroll it up to a few inches to the hitch but would have to watch it when bending the truck and trailer.. And the normal roll up type have velcro straps behind the cab window to hold in place.. so you would have to devise a method of holding it in front of the coupling to stop it unfurling/rolling and getting caught up in the 5th wheel..

I had one put on my 5th wheel set up just before I sold it and it made all the difference to the looks and security of any items carried in the back..

Hope this is of help. and you can understand my explanation.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you need to look on some of the american sites .they use extended hitches ,or just a goose neck pin in the back .will try n find some info .

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Thanks VWalan.

old mo, No it is an aluminium roll top cover, It all rolls into a container at the front of the bed of the truck, I think that is where the problem is.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try googling www,popuphitch.com they advertise alsorts in the american mags. i have a wester horseman mag here lots of nice 5ers n horsebox conversions to look at.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks VWalan.

old mo, No it is an aluminium roll top cover, It all rolls into a container at the front of the bed of the truck, I think that is where the problem is.

Oh !! "sorry", missunderstood. :Blush:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
so can i ask when it is rolled up how far over the back of the pickup bed does it hang, the hitch is fitted either side of the rear axle, maybe calder think it will interfere with manouvring/reversing the 5ver at an angle, if you measure from the back wall of the bed to the end of your rolltop when in the open position and ring alex with that measurement he should be able to tell you if there is enough clearence as he should know the measurement from the back wall to where the front legs of the hitch frame will be,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Last edited:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We have a fold back soft cover on our Mitsi pick up. Haven't had the 5er hitched up since it was put on so not sure yet if there is enough room to leave it on (folded open) when hitched up. It does only take a couple of minutes to remove though so not a problem.

We have a friend with a Nissan Navara with a hard top roll back cover and he does keep it on when hitched up. I believe there is just enough room for it. Niche Marketing fitted his hitch so if you give them a call I'm sure they'll confirm if it's possible.

Al

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if op had a goose neck pin hitch there would be lots room.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
am i missing something here ?

take off the roll top,

fit the hitch,

refit the roll top and see if it a) fits.....b) interferes with the hitch.

simple..

if it interferes then no problem, you were removing it anyway.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the other way is get a proper truck. i,m going before i get my head bitten off. cheers alan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
so can i ask when it is rolled up how far over the back of the pickup bed does it hang, the hitch is fitted either side of the rear axle, maybe calder think it will interfere with manouvring/reversing the 5ver at an angle, if you measure from the back wall of the bed to the end of your rolltop when in the open position and ring alex with that measurement he should be able to tell you if there is enough clearence as he should know the measurement from the back wall to where the front legs of the hitch frame will be,

Very Good point, I will do that and see what we come up with.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why, Do you know somebody who has one :ROFLMAO:

I do funnily enough :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

However id rather dig my eyes out with a teaspoon :Eeek: than sell it so im afraid you will have to look elsewhere to buy a proper pickup. ::bigsmile:

Seriously though give some very real thought about the tow vehicle, none of the Euro trucks are designed to carry 5ers or up to the job, they will all need an engne management upgrade (chipping), suspension upgrade and probably a brake upgrade as well and even then will be working at 100% capacity all the time.......not a good combination in my opinion, however there are people out there that have the smaller 5ers and Eurotruck and seem happy with them but for me anything working at 100% is not good.:Doh:

Ive had a Nivara and speak from experience, junk it and get something that was designed and built to do the job inhand instead of something that looks pretty but cant pull the skin off a rice pudding :Sad:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Seriously though give some very real thought about the tow vehicle, none of the Euro trucks are designed to carry 5ers or up to the job, they will all need an engne management upgrade (chipping), suspension upgrade and probably a brake upgrade as well and even then will be working at 100% capacity all the time.......not a good combination in my opinion, however there are people out there that have the smaller 5ers and Eurotruck and seem happy with them but for me anything working at 100% is not good.:Doh:

Ive had a Nivara and speak from experience, junk it and get something that was designed and built to do the job inhand instead of something that looks pretty but cant pull the skin off a rice pudding :Sad:

Get a Land Rover - No engine upgrade needed - No suspension upgrade needed - pulls like a train and returns 22/23 to the gallon pulling 3 1/2 tonnes of 5'er -- can't beat it - some say it cannot be done - Speak to Greg or Peter at Niche they know it can be done :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it isnt always about bhp .its also about torque etc kike i say mine is to start with a 6.3 ton truck max train wt 9.8ton. its not fast but can pull all day even going quite slow in top .having had high revvers in the past i prefer the low rev pull mine has maxed out at less than 3,000rpm.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Get a Land Rover - No engine upgrade needed - No suspension upgrade needed - pulls like a train and returns 22/23 to the gallon pulling 3 1/2 tonnes of 5'er -- can't beat it - some say it cannot be done - Speak to Greg or Peter at Niche they know it can be done :thumb:

Cant go wrong with a landy!!!!:thumb:

But most people are put off by the rather "basic" equipment levels you get with the real offroading workhorse models (not the pretty versions!!!). :Sad:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I am quite happy with my F250...............325 bhp and 600ft/lb of Torque, plus all the US towing kit.............easy peasy and for a lot less than most people think.:thumb::thumb: In fact, come to think of it, ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:why am I spouting off, if everyone decides to go the same way then the prices will go up:Doh::Doh:

Rob

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Cant go wrong with a landy!!!!:thumb:

But most people are put off by the rather "basic" equipment levels you get with the real offroading workhorse models (not the pretty versions!!!). :Sad:

That's much of the problem - everyone looks at what was not what is - full XS spec heated windscreen - heated seats - heated mirrors leather reclining seats - sound system - air conditioning - electric windows front - alloy wheels - ABS braking - traction control etc etc as well as the good old toys Hi and Low ratio box - 5 speed gearbox - diff lock - 5 cylinder turbocharged engine - Turbo kicks in at 1700rpm and the engine develops maximum pulling power between approx 2250 and 2750 rpm so plodding up the motorway at 56mph im doing a comfortable 2700rm returning 23mph listening to the stereo at a fairly low level enjoying the countryside -- Perfect - the only trouble is I'm a bit biased I reckon because I love Landies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Been driving them for 50 years now - just about got the hang of it :thumb:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
I am in agreement with Alan,Rob,Dazzer & Landy if you are going to pull 3.5t get something that is designed to pull that weight all day every day,not just a horse box on a Sunday.I started with a L200 longest trip was to the New Forest took forever & made my mind up to look for something built to work.By chance a customer at work was selling a DBL cab Transit one driver low mileage spot on,like Landy I get 20+ towing (if the Tranny had not come up I would prob gone the Landy route as well:Smile:)still got the L200 still equiped for 5ver work.But now used for what it was built for car + work on farm & emergency tow vehicle if I need to be recovered with 5ver.:Doh:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Landy Lover is correct------------before you shell out for a Jap. motor ,at least take a look at the newer Land Rovers you may (or maybe not!!) be surprised, the latest engine is said to be even better than the TD5, and fitted with a 6 speed 'box. They also hold their value extremely well, (not so good if you buy second hand!!!!!)
UPMARKETHIPPY has a 2.8 Ltr, version of the Land Rover "300 TDI" and it has V8 power with amazing torque.
But we do love our Cummins !!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
But we do love our Cummins !!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

So do I but I cannot get one to shoehorn into the Landy - one of the few engines that will do a million miles apart from the Landy of course:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
glad my mitzy was built in portugal . course you have to wonder when will landies be made in ?where the new parent company from i forgot. cheers alan.
ps love you all really.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
glad my mitzy was built in portugal . course you have to wonder when will landies be made in ?where the new parent company from i forgot. cheers alan.
ps love you all really.

2012 is the crunch when we will find out if its UK or India - Tata might just say ta ta to the UK due to EU bull++++ - the one thing you cannot take away though is a 60 year success story - they have been developed on an on a high proportion of production is still about and most still work how long do the Japs last ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not going there.but we do know that mitsubishi fuso have been making vehicles from 1918the model a,then temporarily stopped for awhile till may1932 when they built the b46 bus.now hows that for abit of info. most uk businesses have been and gone in that time. its actually one of the oldest manufacturers in the world still making vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back