Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
Hello All,
Has anyone had sound proofing done to their van cab ?
We have a Fiat Ducato which I find quiet noisy, engine, road noise etc.
Looking at a company called NoiseKiller, based in Oldham who say they have done quite a few Motorhomes.
Has anyone any experience or advice on this ?
Many Thanks
Neil & Gill.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Have a 2.8JTD Fiat Ducato. Don't have a particular problem with it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check the state of your tyres for tread and also pressure ... they can make quite a difference to the 'noise' transmitted to the cab.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I bought the kit and did it myself on my first motorhome. I haven't bothered since. It does make a difference but not enough in my view for the cost.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
That's something I will be asking, I was trying to find someone who may have had this done and what their thoughts were as to how effective it was. (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought their acoustic blanket and their other kit for our mh; it cost over £200. The sound deadening works but, IMHO, it is very expensive for what it is. From another supplier, I purchased some sound deadening foam that is installed into PCs and other electrical equipment for £20 and that made more of a difference. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't use NoiseKiller unless I couldn't get a good enough result with just PC foam.

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
I bought their acoustic blanket and their other kit for our mh; it cost over £200. The sound deadening works but, IMHO, it is very expensive for what it is. From another supplier, I purchased some sound deadening foam that is installed into PCs and other electrical equipment for £20 and that made more of a difference. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't use NoiseKiller unless I couldn't get a good enough result with just PC foam.

Thanks, can you tell me where you got the foam from please.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks, can you tell me where you got the foam from please.
I used this company for my bed mattress and the acoustic foam (I got the sticky backed version and doubled it up and placed over the acoustic blanket from NoiseKiller which went over my MH's engine block. The blanket was insufficient on its own. When I have the chance, I'll get some more and line the inside of the engine bay.

https://www.efoam.co.uk/acoustic-soundproofing-foam.php

Some of the the acoustic pads from noise killer are denser and but thinner; they are positioned under the bonnet. The thicker pads, like the sheets linked above, are in and in the foot well, under the seats and other accessible areas adjoining the engine bay or on the floor in the cab.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We went to Noisekiller six years ago because when we first bought our Trusty Talbot we couldn't speak to each other without shouting whilst travelling. We had the engine blanket (lead lined) fitted and also acoustic sheeting fitted to the bulkhead, under the bonnet lid, on the cab floor and inside the cab doors.

Engine noise was subdued quite a bit. However, we still shout at each other when travelling but I think that's mainly when the Sat Nav decides to take us off-piste!

OP
OP
Barney23
Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for replies & advice, much appreciated, will have to decide if its worth having done now. (y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I fitted their full kit to a 2006 2.8JTD engined X244 Ducato, with a standard Fiat cab.

Before - really quite noisy, I got a headache travelling long distances, no chance of hearing the radio.

After - much more bearable - still not a quiet vehicle, but no headache and I don't have to shout to make myself heard - well, except to the kids of course! Radio has to be up loud but can be heard.

Am I glad I fitted it? Yes, definitely, I feel a lot less tired after a long drive. Would I fit one again? Yes.
Does it make it an uber-quiet vehicle? No - my Audi A6 car of the same vintage is a lot quieter, which let's face it is to be expected. I doubt any coachbuilt van with a whacking great Luton over the cab will ever be as quiet as a decent car!

I fitted it myself - easy enough job if you're a half-decent DIY'r. A trim removal tool (few quid off Fleabay) makes things like getting the door cards off much easier.

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
I had our transit done by Noiskiller, massive improvement I took it to them and they fitted it while we waited

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had the same issue on an older van and cured it cheaply. stick on dense foam in the doors and under the bonnet. Then I lifted all the carpets and original rubber matting. i then installed 12mm thick rubber house carpet underlay swept up the firewall and under the dash. reinstall the rubber and carpets and it made a massive difference.
i worked slowly doing bits and bobs in between but still finished easily in a weekend. fit and finish was better than OEM. Bonus was the cab was much warmer with no more draughts. weight was about 30kg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back