Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had a fantastic week away, only marred by an aforementioned leak AND our fridge refused to ignite on gas. The day before it packed up we were aware of it being very fumey from the exhaust and a black stain had to be wiped off from the exterior wall above the exhaust vent. Next time we tried to ignite it, no dice. The ignition button/switch is clicking away like a goodun but it refuses to light.

Any ideas welcome.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The burner jet sometimes gets blocked. It is accesses by removing the lower external vent. I don't like the sound of the 'black stain'. Maybe time to clean the flue. Unfortunately, I do not know of an easy way to do this. Others might come along with a solution.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That seemed to be what someone else suggested. They reckoned a possible cure would be a compressor and airline.......but where to point it?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The exterior flue terminal can be removed. If you do intend to blow compressed air down the flue I would definitely remove the burner assemble (not too difficult) and if possible put a length of vacuum cleaner hose over the bottom of the flue.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
IMG_20160715_180329.jpg
That sounds like good advice :)

Not quite sure where I'm looking for for the burner assembly. I can guess but perhaps tell me where to start? It wouldn't be the first time I've taken the lid off of something and springs fly in all directions!

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If you take out the screw in your picture the cover plate over the burner assembly can be removed. When I cleaned my flue I just covered the burner jet with a piece of cloth, the soot falls on that and you can fold it to remove the cloth preventing any contamination.

Don't know if the system is the same on your flue but mine has a twisted piece of metal hanging from the top of the flue, I took it off its hook and shook it around the flue which removed lots of soot, no problems since.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That sounds good. Will get on the case.

Might take some photos as I do it. It might help others to not make the same cock ups I may make! :)

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There are in fact two screws holding the plate. One at the front and ........ you guessed it!
That allows the cover plate to be removed from the left.

The box is a little tricky to get off. It's held by a tang on the right hand side. Slide the box to the left and then
IMG_20160715_183355.jpg
IMG_20160715_183432.jpg
IMG_20160715_183528.jpg
pull the left hand side towards you to remove it. It needed a little wiggle.

Voila! The burner exposed (I think that's what it is!).
There was a fair bit of soot in there without me getting an airline on it so I think we may be on to a winner. Round to my muckers place tomorrow, to use his. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It looks as though the condensation tub is split too. That's the plastic pot that clips over the horizontal pipe and enables the condensate to be evaporated. The fact that the pipe is rusty suggests the tub is leaking. I effected a temporary repair with Sikaflex and I have still to buy a new tub! I rubbed down the tube and repainted it with Hammerite.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It looks as though the condensation tub is split too. That's the plastic pot that clips over the horizontal pipe and enables the condensate to be evaporated. The fact that the pipe is rusty suggests the tub is leaking. I effected a temporary repair with Sikaflex and I have still to buy a new tub! I rubbed down the tube and repainted it with Hammerite.

That's interesting. Mine does not have a 'tub'. The condensate tube runs directly through the floor to discharge on the ground. Maybe a modification by the previous owner?

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I will know in a short while what condition my burner set up is in, it won't work on gas at the moment, fingers crossed it's just the jet/flue problem and nothing more expensive.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I will know in a short while what condition my burner set up is in, it won't work on gas at the moment, fingers crossed it's just the jet/flue problem and nothing more expensive.

If cleaning those does not help and assuming your gas pressure is OK then the problem might be the gas 'tap' which I have been told has a mesh strainer on the inlet. The hob has to be removed to gain access :(

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Ooooooh, thanks Flamenca, something else to possibly look forward to.

You have to either love this life or have pockets full of folding stuff to survive.
:rofl:

Gas pressure is fine, Hobson and boiler have no probs so will bear that in mind if cleaning the jet/flue doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Hymie I have just spoken to a guy who has experience and qualifications for gas work on motorhomes and he reckons it is unlikely to be the gas valve clogged. However, he has found that the gas pipe between the gas valve and the burner rusts on the inside and the flakes of rust cause a blockage. The bad news is that to remove this pipe it is still necessary to remove the hob/sink unit.

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gave it a blow yesterday and gently poked around with a bit of wire and she started. Two hours later, nuffink!

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gave it a good blast with a mate's airline (while wearing precautionary face mask, goggles and wetsuit). Also poked it up the flue and promptly gave the kids a passable impression of Thomas the tank engine.

Started up first time.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've not read the whole post but have you took the pipe off the jet block, as that's where the jet is. It's just a pressed metal top hat shape that's held in place my the end of the pipe. I did mine a few weeks ago and it was full of rubbish and it then took several days for the freezer to get down to temperature, as the fridge was then full of warm stuff, we even bought a bag of ice to help it, seems ok now.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Gave it a good blast with a mate's airline (while wearing precautionary face mask, goggles and wetsuit). Also poked it up the flue and promptly gave the kids a passable impression of Thomas the tank engine.

Did you just push the airline up the flue or also pushed it down from the top?

A video clip of the procedure would be great to give us all a laugh :LOL:

OP
OP
P

Periscope

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you think I'm doing that for your amusement then you've got another think coming!

Cheeky monkey!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Mine struggled to work on leccy as well during the recent hot spell, I spent a week on Sunnybrook doing lots of upgrades and it barely kept chilled.

We are away this weekend and Saturdays job is to fit 2 x 120mm exhaust fans to the top grill to see if that help, will give a burner & flue a blow out at the same time, although only with a can of compressed air..

I was going to fit a temperature controller that Robert Clark suggested but cocked up and ordered a 220v by mistake so will fit them with a manual switch for now.

We are away for 10 days from the 20th so I can play with it & tweak it then, & hopefully fit the controller.

Hymie

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We are away this weekend and Saturdays job is to fit 2 x 120mm exhaust fans to the top grill to see if that help, will give a burner & flue a blow out at the same time, although only with a can of compressed air..

I will be interested to hear how you get on using a can of compressed air. I think my flue could do with a clean but do not have access to a compressed air line (apart from local garage forecourt :cautious:).

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
One thing I know for certain is don't poke bits of wire in the jet, it's a certain bore for a reason.

I don't have much time this weekend, there's a lounger with my name on it, but I think I will probably uncouple it before blowing it through, to give it a decent fettling, and by the look of the weather reports for this weekend it will be just in time if it works.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back