Advice needed on where to get a new tow bar ? (1 Viewer)

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Hi All

Bit of a disaster our end ........... purchased a Micra to tow behind our Motorhome, came with a professional tow frame already fitted etc. :Doh:

Ready to go away this past weekend, everything good to go, went to hook up to our tow-bar on the Motorhome and it rocked from side to side! On much closer inspection it would appear it is home made ( good job done though ! ) and has no weight label etc. It is welded into a box on the chassis held on by 4 bolts and I believe if we had have towed, a few corners and the car would have come adrift as the weld would have snapped! :Eeek:

So, decided not to tow, have the weekend away then ask about getting a new towbar fitted once back. :thumb:

We have a 2001 Autotrail Aparaho ( tag -axle ) and basically would like to purchase a towbar suitable to tow our Micra ........... any ideas please folks of where to buy/ get it fitted??????? We live in Hereford so can't travel miles to get one fitted.:Doh:

By the way, we only have a 3 week window then we are away for a week so need this sorted ASAP !!!!!! ::bigsmile:

Many thanks

Mark

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Mark, unfortunately they don't do towbars for motorhomes , so they are usually made to suit individual vans. This was probably the case with yours. Are you sure it isn't up to the job? obviously it must have been fitted for a reason by a previous owner- can you not contact him -his name will be on the reg book. There is a guy near Blackpool who does this work and he does work for all the local dealers as well as private customers, in fact I am going to see him tomorrow to see when he can fit one to our A/trail Dakota that we pick-up next week. I would imagine this will be a bit too far for you to come. The alternative is for you is to maybe go to a local welder/fabricator and see if they could help. I presume the handbrake was not on the micra when you tried it- a common mistake-I've done it myself!
Hope this helps ,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Tow bar

Try marquis twewksbury.
I believe they use a mobile fitter.Good job done on ours.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
towbar

towtal very good they fitted ours and i understand armitage trailers
we are in coventry and towtal not to far

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Mark
Sorry I can,t help where you live. But in Freckling Lancashire there is a good tow bar maker/fitter he will do it in a day, Michael Parkinson will be in the Tel book ie 118118 etc, bit of a trip but if you don't find any nearer its an option, he did my Bessaccar no probs. Pete :thumb::thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi Mark
Sorry I can,t help where you live. But in Freckling Lancashire there is a good tow bar maker/fitter he will do it in a day, Michael Parkinson will be in the Tel book ie 118118 etc, bit of a trip but if you don't find any nearer its an option, he did my Bessaccar no probs. Pete :thumb::thumb:

07887 997653, AND IT'S FRECKLETON!
Dave:thumb:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Hi Just seen your post. There is a place behind the Malvern Road in worcester, by the swimming baths at St Johns that manufacture bespoke tow bars, they are conversant with the autotrail range, and I was going to get them to make me one before i saw one on fleabay, £200 with electrics, but it was from flintshire.
I'll have a mooch and see if i can find the name.
ATB
DaveT

Duh How about Worcester Tow Bars www.worcestertowbars.co.uk

And its the bromwich road not the malvern road sorry. But it is the right place

Last edited:
OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Thanks all for the prompt and very helpful replies. :thumb:

Gonna give Watling's a call tomorrow purely because they have the make / model / year already listed in their PDF file of towbars! Hoping I am able to order from them then get it delivered as I am Ok fitting it.

Cheers all ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Had a few problems with Watlings. Basically they have a 'fill - in - your-sizes' section which I meticulously carried out. Spoke at length to Ben who assured me one could be made. Waited & waited for a return call but in the end re phoned them only to be told " Can't make one to send out, you'll have to come to us" !!!:Eeek:

The difference : Delivered was £290 + postage / fitted on site : APPROX £550 + VAT !
Me smells a wee rat somehwere!:Angry:

So, phoned TowTal, spoke to Bill who immediately said they only make on site, made an appointment for the Following Monday. Allowed me to stay on site Sunday evening inc electric hook-up so was ready for prompt work to start at 07.45. Finished and on my way at 12.25 ( I do work nights so they rushed it a little, not that the quality of work was any different! ) less the bill of course : £445 fully fitted inc electrics.:whatthe: ::bigsmile:

Friendly family run business, had loads of brand new M/H in fitting towbars etc for main dealers.

Recommend them ............... too right I do !:thumb:

the heaterman

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
manchester
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
5 years
towbar

im a towbar fitter in manchester watling engineering make towbars to the customers spec all u need is the chassi diameter if u take it to a compitent fitter he can measure it and order it all for u another company in manchester that may be able to help is p f jones.co.uk they seem to have a wide range on there site

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
im a towbar fitter in manchester watling engineering make towbars to the customers spec all u need is the chassi diameter if u take it to a compitent fitter he can measure it and order it all for u another company in manchester that may be able to help is p f jones.co.uk they seem to have a wide range on there site

As I mentioned, I gave meticulous measurements as per the website and what they asked for, all I can say is from Ben's general attitude ( shuffling paperwork, talking to someone else in the office, putting me on hold etc ) I am glad I didn't use them and went to Towtal instead. :Angry:

Would have had no problems my end fitting the towbar if it had have been made to the spec given!:thumb:

This is obviously my experience, I am well sure others like yourself have had no problems with Watlings ........... just going by what happened to me .......:cry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got to go along with "gwnking" Armitage are superb,, they fabricate their own and used to make good trailers,, but they are so busy with towbars they only sell others products..

Made a tow bar for my tag axle, incorporating a motorbike carrier.. well worth a phone call.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back