Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just inherited the above multi meter.
It looks horribly complicated with lots of funny numbers and letters on the front.

Also got the handbook. It IS horribly complicated.
I am someone who has just mastered the art of the light switch.

Can somebody recommend a suitable tester that cover domestic and Moho electrics and includes a circuit tester, without needed a degree in electrical workings.
Cheers
Geoff

(Ps. The meter can be found on Google)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you wanna swap it for a very simple one I am your man :)
I have a couple of them and I do agree, they are somewhat OTT for simple motorhome and household related jobs..

They are GREAT for the sort of stuff I play with (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just inherited the above multi meter.
It looks horribly complicated with lots of funny numbers and letters on the front.

Also got the handbook. It IS horribly complicated.
I am someone who has just mastered the art of the light switch.

Can somebody recommend a suitable tester that cover domestic and Moho electrics and includes a circuit tester, without needed a degree in electrical workings.
Cheers
Geoff

(Ps. The meter can be found on Google)

If you are going to Lincoln show I would be happy to spend a wee while with you going through how to use that one.. or do some sort of deal with another if you want to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
John,
Thanks for your offer.
The Wavetek has connections to my partner and she should be reluctant to lose it.

However your offer of a quick training session would be greatly appreciated, as would any advise on a simpler addition.

See you at Lincoln.
Thanks
Geoff

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Try this thread: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/multi-meter.134335/
quick training session
Your Wavetek 27XT will do nicely. Look at the selector switch closely, and find the bits you can completely ignore:

1. H: Inductance (units: Henries)
2. F: Capacitance (units: Farads)
3. Frequency (20M Hz) (units: Hertz)
4. TTL, Logic, CMOS

If you have to ask what they are, you don't need them!

Also, ignore the A amps and mA milliamps settings until you are more comfortable with it.

You can easily use:
1. Diode/Continuity: That's the one at the bottom with the arrow (diode symbol) and the bleeper symbol. Between the Ω and F sections.
2. V: Volts
3. Ω: Ohms, that's a greek letter capital Omega.

Lesson 1. Continuity check.
1. Red probe in the V-Ω socket, black probe in the COM socket.
2. Selector switch to Diode/Continuity.
3. Switch the meter on.
4. Touch the metal points of the probes together. The bleeper should bleep. Separate them, and the bleeper should stop.

Try touching the probes on some metal items (coin, spoon, etc). The meter bleeps whenever there is continuous conductor (metal) between the two probes.

CAUTION: continuity check only on unpowered items.

You can use this to find a hidden break in a wire that is supposed to be continuous. Also useful to find two wires touching together when they are not supposed to be touching.
Checking fuses: a good fuse will be continuous metal inside, so will bleep; a blown fuse will not be continuous (the metal will have melted) so will not bleep.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John,
Thanks for your offer.
The Wavetek has connections to my partner and she should be reluctant to lose it.

However your offer of a quick training session would be greatly appreciated, as would any advise on a simpler addition.

See you at Lincoln.
Thanks
Geoff
Not a problem at all Geoff
While all the above info by Autorouter is spot on, a 5 minute hands on demo will give you all you need to know and hopefully the confidence to use it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff,
As a (retired) Electronics Lecturer I'd be very happy with the Wavetek MM in my toolbag. However, as suggested it;s way OTT for basic (or even advanced!) Motorhome first level fault-finding.
I'd suggest a visit to Maplins and purchase a basic, and probably cheap, Digital multimeter(DMM).
As an extra thought, a 10A(approx) current range is useful if checking Solar panel, etc current. The downside of cheaper DMM's is that they tend to have a very limited current range(s).
Hope this helps,

Regards
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back