Free Member
Jul 19, 2016
surrey
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello,
as a new comer to the motorhome scene, we are looking at a 2 berth model to purchase and have viewed a 10 year old auto cruise star fire based on the Peugeot, it has a 2.8 hdi engine and seems a clean vehicle.

I would appreciate any info on pros and cons of this model if anyone can help it appears to have some self levelling suspension? as there are 2 pressure gauges behind the drivers seat.
It is at a dealers and we will be going back this weekend for a closer look.

Thanks

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's got air assisted suspension, that's what the gauges are for.
Gives you more payload and helps levelling but it's not automatic it has to be pumped up, I carry a tyre inflater to set mine but maybe that one has a compressor built in.
If the layout suits you go for it. Had my Starseeker since 2007 and am well pleased with it

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
At that age/era there are two factors, condition which you can see check yourself.

Then DAMP, which can be a killer to a van. If your happy with the condition I would have a damp check carried out myself and not rely on the dealer report. Other than damp most things can be fixed easily if a problem occurs. There's a good chance the van is dry and ok but for a small cost you can be sure.

The gauges are likely to be air suspension not levelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I read somewhere that having air suspension decreases your payload?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Morning Sheepman and welcome, we have the Autocruise Wentworth on a Peugot chassis and it has been great, just back from France and it never missed a beat.
The gauges are for air bag suspension on the rear axle to help make a smoother ride with less crashing about over bumps and help to stop the rear end looking overweight.
Check to see if the MGW has been raised from 3500kgs to perhaps 3750kgs or the capacity for personal items will be nearly nil.
Good luck.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I read somewhere that having air suspension decreases your payload?

No, in can increase your payload though.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think what @Welsh girl meant is that it's heavy Keith. Without air the MGW is set but with it added it can be raised. Ours totally empty weighed in @3220kgs which would have been a disaster but then I checked and it had been uprated. You live and learn. :rolleyes::D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Check for any signs of waters staining on the plywood under the cushions below the windows
I have know these windows to be fitted without sealant and just silicon around the outside frame edge which is major short cutting by the builder who will be autocruise prior to their collapse and take over by Swift
Good solid vans

As with any van be sure to witness the heating and hot water etc working
Most likely diesel heating

Make sure you see receipts for cambelt change and any other age related work
Tyre age too ! if they are Michelin X they are original and need replacing

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Check for any signs of waters staining on the plywood under the cushions below the windows
I have know these windows to be fitted without sealant and just silicon around the outside frame edge which is major short cutting by the builder who will be autocruise prior to their collapse and take over by Swift
Good solid vans

As with any van be sure to witness the heating and hot water etc working
Most likely diesel heating

Make sure you see receipts for cambelt change and any other age related work
Tyre age too ! if they are Michelin X they are original and need replacing
Great advice had a starspirit which was built like this and the wood inside the bottom of the lockers was swollen pushing the outer side out very little that can be done at this stage without major work bought from a dealer in Derby that had stored the vehicle in dry conditions over winter so no signs of damp b"""""ds

OP
OP
S

sheepman

Free Member
Jul 19, 2016
surrey
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thank you all for the tips! I have now compiled a list for when we view it again over the next week,
will keep you posted.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've had 2 Autocruise vans and both great. The factory HAD to fit air suspension as the rear sag was pretty bad. A case of poorly calculated weight distribution at the time. They also upgraded our vans to 3750kgs but fitting the air suspension will never increase your payload but only make for a more comfortable rude.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Only if you have the van up plated..a paper exercise. BUSBY.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Only if you have the van up plated..a paper exercise. BUSBY.

Depends on how much you want to up-rate by. Ours is now to 3850, from 3500, but depends on which size tyres are fitted and our rear axle is now a max of 2400 on the original tyres as fitted by Autocruise.
All information from SVTech.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We had a Starfire, good van, the only thing that got to us was making/unmaking the bed every day!
Check the tyres are ok-no cracks-and age of tyres, damp and get as many extras as you can into the price!
Happy motorhoming!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Because its pre swift takeover of autocruise you shouldn't have many ,if any damp problems .i have a 10yr old stargazer and am very happy with it ..buy at right price and enjoy . Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back