Milk going off in the fridge.. (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We've been off-grid for the last few weekends so the fridge in the 'van has been running on gas.

Although the freezer blocks in the ice making compartment have been freezing well, the milk keeps turning to cheese.

I'll be getting a fridge thermometer tomorrow to check the temperature in the fridge or is it the milk?

Anyone else having the same problem?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suppose it depends on the fridge, but check the following:

Thermostat set to halfway point? Apparently most efficient. Has the fridge been properly chilled before switching to gas? That helps.
Fridge not stuffed full?
Is the surface above the fridge warm? That would suggest the heat isn't escaping out of the vent too well.
Is the burner partly blocked? Ours had a lump of rust from the flue fall onto it.

How about putting the freezer blocks from the freezer inside the main compartment each morning to help keep it cool?

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Wise words - thank you :)

I set the thermostat to full as it was so warm outside. I'll try dropping it a bit.

Fridge is stuffed full. Maybe too full - we weren't within walking distance of shops.

Top of the fridge was very warm. In fact, it melted the butter in a container above it.

I'll get the vent off and look for foreign bodies.

The frozen blocks currently go into the coolbox to keep my cider cool (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You may like to consider adding a couple of thermostatically controlled fans to the external (top) vent to help circulate air over the fridge workings during warmer weather. I fitted some and found it certainly helped the fridge to cope with warmer weather

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
When running on gas, isn't it a case of 'less is more' ?
Ours would freeze up at the rear if I set it too high (6 o'clock). It then becomes inefficient and warms up.
Have to turn it off for a couple of hours to defrost.
We normally run at 1.5 (just past 1 o'clock), 2 perhaps 2.5 (3 o'clock) if it's really hot.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've been there believe me. One August at Carcassonne we couldn't get the main compartment below 16C. I never thought 16C beer would taste refreshing, but the outside thermometer hit 50C that day.

I've fitted an old 12v computer cooling fan on our vent to help extract the hot air from the burner.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Wise words - thank you :)

I set the thermostat to full as it was so warm outside. I'll try dropping it a bit.

Fridge is stuffed full. Maybe too full - we weren't within walking distance of shops.

Top of the fridge was very warm. In fact, it melted the butter in a container above it.

I'll get the vent off and look for foreign bodies.

The frozen blocks currently go into the coolbox to keep my cider cool (y)

Drink the cider..... Put milk in cool box.
Repeat every 6hrs.
Problem solved(y)

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Fridge too full, been there done it in fact I have seen us come back from the shops and put a few items that are not chilled into the fridge and that seems to tip the balance of it working great beforehand to it not working very well.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A fridge thermometer is a must, but weather like today a Mh fridge will struggle. I keep ours at 3 bars ( half way ) and have a fan fitted at the out of the vents sucking out the hot air. Works well.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thermostat set to halfway point? Apparently most efficient. Has the fridge been properly chilled before switching to gas? That helps.
I always thought that the thermostat was inoperative when running on gas......You just take a chance that it's going to cool enough?? o_O

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, we've had similar problems with fridge too full. Found you had to keep the inside fins clear and an air gap all down the back of the (inside) of the fridge. Lack of air circulation so the cooling can get around the fridge meant our milk going off. Cleared down some of the food and the problem sorted itself out.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This from Dometic........

Refrigerator fails to operate on
  • Controls set incorrectly. Check that the thermostat is set to LP Gas. Maximum gas is turned on and controls are set to obtain gas operation.
  • Gas supply restricted. Check that the gas bottle is full, all LP gas valves are open. Ensure gas jet is clean and burner is alight.
  • Incorrect lighting procedure. Check that flame failure safety valve has not been prematurely released.
Refrigerator not getting cold
  • Refrigerator/ freezer not level. The refrigerator/ freezer must be
    enough level in both directions to operate correctly.
  • Ventilation/ installation inadequate. The refrigerator/ freezer must be ventilated, installed and flued in accordance withmanufacturers instructions.
  • Drop in supply voltage. Check that the supply voltage to the refrigerator/ freezer is maintained at full rate.
  • Controls not set correctly or thermostat incorrectly used. In hot weather the thermostat setting should be closer to maximum than usual.
  • More than one source of energy used at the same time.
  • Door is not closed properly or magnetic sealing strip is defective.
  • Gas system restricted or flame has gone out. Depending on use, gas system should be periodically cleaned and adjusted.
  • Evaporator heavily coated with ice. Refrigerator/ freezer should be defrosted at more frequent intervals.
  • The gas pressure is incorrect. Check the pressure at both the gas bottle and burner.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a 12v socket next to the fridge so I could plug a fan in there to blow between the fridge & the worktop. Would that help?
No, it needs airflow behind the fridge to draw hot air out the top vent.
In really warm whether the air isn't moving fast enough to disparate the heat so the cooling tubes stay warm and very inefficient.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
janine some fridges in older vans are vented internally if you have vents top and bottom of the fridge inside then thats the case you could use a fan to help but be carefull its not blowing the flame

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There are two vents on the outside of the 'van - top & bottom of the fridge. I know we can get to the gas jet through the bottom vent because I once had @JJ on his knees blowing away the grot that was stopping it working (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe your fridge was the same as mine...

In hot weather, I need to run my twin fridge fans all the time to get best results.

Obviously you are NOT letting anything touch the aluminium cooling fins inside the fridge... that really will stop you chilling... ;)

JJ :cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone else having the same problem?

Yes, at Upton. Bowl of nutty breakfast, pour milk, gloop, gloop.

Very cold milk, inside it's use by date, gorn orf.

Disaster. Had to sprint into town replenish the nutty stuff and milk.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Yes, at Upton. Bowl of nutty breakfast, pour milk, gloop, gloop.

Very cold milk, inside it's use by date, gorn orf.

Disaster. Had to sprint into town replenish the nutty stuff and milk.

That's interesting - exactly the same scenario! I've never had it happen before but now 2 weeks in a row.

Was it skimmed milk, by any chance?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
in that case yours isnt internal if it reaches you could put the fan outside

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The fridge has only so much cooling power and freezing the cold packs will be using a lot of the available power.See what happens if you don't put any more cold packs in the freezer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's interesting - exactly the same scenario! I've never had it happen before but now 2 weeks in a row.

Was it skimmed milk, by any chance?
Probably...

There's something very odd about skimmed milk.
For one...you can whip it with a whisk until thick and forms a peak.
You can whip full milk until you turn blue and it won't thicken.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It was Co-op green top. Useby date 21st happened on 16th.
Thats the problem then! You cant beat good old fashioned sterilised milk. (y) Or even better, a nice tin of Carnation. Let it down, or be a REAL man and use it neat. Luvley. (y)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we use uht when away for the same reason & keep it under the bench seat which always appears a few degrees cooler .works well for us .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back