advice re check out new motorhome (1 Viewer)

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi everybody, looking for some advice, we are going to check out the hymer camp 55 1993 wednesday lunch time, before we make the final payment, we know to check the boiler, fridge, cooker etc. but never having had a motorhome before is there anything else we need to be looking at, its having its mot in the morning so hopefully that tells us that its safe. Dont know anything about hymer boilers help, we will fill up water tank then what do we do, (I said we are newbies) we will check out wind out awning, any advice really gratfully received thanks to everybody before you even reply, dont want to get it wrong all our savings going into this!! thanks alot Lynne & Gary:thumb:

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
chck check check

hi gary & lynne.
i had never sat in a motorhome untill i purchased ours , so yes it is very scary especially when all your funds are being sunk in to it , our buy turned out to be a good buy at the time 2 years ago ?, then its not long before the cambelt wants changeing at 4.500 miles at 5 years old & then the tyres need doing because of perishing , my advice even though i did not use it would be to take someone along with you that has some experience in motorhomes & mechanically able to see you through the deal . you could always take it to a dealership & have a check & a report on the vehicle , & oh boy it may be the best thing you could do if its a nanny?. all the best remember your money is still in your back sack , so dont rush in.
regards

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
most things you mention can be fixed but check for damp very carefully as this can be a nightmare to sort out and cost a bomb

If the chassis and motor are OK and if it is watertight that is the main thing...... anything else can be sorted out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi everybody, looking for some advice, we are going to check out the hymer camp 55 1993 wednesday lunch time, before we make the final payment, we know to check the boiler, fridge, cooker etc. but never having had a motorhome before is there anything else we need to be looking at, its having its mot in the morning so hopefully that tells us that its safe. Dont know anything about hymer boilers help, we will fill up water tank then what do we do, (I said we are newbies) we will check out wind out awning, any advice really gratfully received thanks to everybody before you even reply, dont want to get it wrong all our savings going into this!! thanks alot Lynne & Gary:thumb:

On the water boiler front,,,, fill tank,,, open furtherest "Hot" tap let it run till water flows without coughing and spluttering the same with the kitchen sink,,, then do the same with the cold taps,, this gets rid of the air and fills your boiler,, :thumb:

Some one will come along and say if I have got the sequence wrong..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi everybody, looking for some advice,

Open/close all doors, especially ones with a key.

Get it hooked up and check anything electrical you can - take a hair dryer to plug in - see if you can see it charging.

Make a cup of tea - you'll need it.

Water heating can take a good while so that is Job 1.

Check the poo machine, you'll be in deep poo without it.

Spare - OK ?

Service record especially for cam belt changing ( if needed ).

When is the next oil change - keep the oil fresh and it will last twice as long.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thanks for all of that still worried , how do you turn on the water heating on this year hymer, please,
Have spent quite a long time in it , we went unannonced last time and it smelt good no damp but we will check everywhere, how often does it need a cam belt, it has been done and has not covered many miles since being done but this is 4 years ago, so hope thats ok, tyres look good bodywork looks excellent no blemishes hubby has been underneath so we think its just the inside bit, how do you get on with an above the cab bed on the coach builts are they ok, Will let you all know how we get on and hopefully all being well have it home sat am, so excited just hope it lives up to my excitment.::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Can't add much to what has already been said.
Check out the upholstery for wear and tare, make sure there are no rips underneath the cushions. Use your nose, to detect if it smells damp, similarly beware of excessive use of air fresheners.
Don't be frightened to walk away, there are plenty more motorhomes for sale.
Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so excited just hope it lives up to my excitment.::bigsmile:

>> Have spent quite a long time in it , we went unannonced last time

Nice one !

>> how do you turn on the water heating on this year hymer

Dunno - we have two dials on the wall, TRUMA written on panel, little symbol depicting heat one way and heat plus water the other way. Gas must be on of course - that will be in the gas locker and maybe a safety valve inside too.

>> how often does it need a cam belt,

I don't know what motor it is, our Fiat 2l is something like 5 years OR 50,000 miles which ever is the sooner - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL THIS or BIG money down the tubes.

>> how do you get on with an above the cab bed on the coach builts are they ok,

They are brilliant - huge. And always made up ready for you, unlike the low line vans.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi thanks again , its a 2.5 fiat ducato so I expect its the same done 10,000 since last cam belt , last used in 2006, so maybe its ok what do you think please. it has all handbooks but in german so that does not help us!!! If we get stuck I am sure somebody on here will know. We will let you know how we get on, Lynne & Gary:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi thanks again , its a 2.5 fiat ducato so I expect its the same done 10,000 since last cam belt , last used in 2006, so maybe its ok what do you think please.

There is no saying it's the same belt life. Fiat are funny like that. BUT it is at least 4 years old so you MUST find out. Ours cost a bit under £200 last year and they found an idler pulley was about to collapse - he showed it to me. That was at only 15K miles but 5 years old. The belt looked like new.

Here is a useful site:
The FIAT Forum - For Talk On All Things FIAT

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thanks for that we will look on the link now

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
hi everyone, we are now the proud owners of the hymer, spent the whole afternoon in the van checking everything out, a bit of bad news it failed mot on a wheel cylinder but that is being done thursday and then retested, we checked out hob, fridge, fire ,water heater, oh no it didnt work no lights nothing, was we doing something wrong, got on the phone to a local dealer who told us it was the electric circuit board in the top of the truma heater, told us it would be aprox 120-150 to buy a new one but we could fit it ourselves, on closer inspection the fuse on the board had broken, what a result, a new fuse and yes it works, great news
only one down fall is that there is no ladder for the overhead bed, anybody got a spare please, this means as we are passed it we cant cock our leg up as we might have done a few years ago so find one we must, anyway deposit paid will collect am saturday can't wait. thanks again to everybody for advice I will put a post on for a ladder and hope for the best, Lynne.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi "Bubble",, just an idea,, have a scout round the second hand shops or even your local household tip and see if you can find a wooden bunk bed ladder,, or ask at your local bed shop they usually take old beds away,,

Might be lucky, or shouldn`t be to hard to knock one up in wood and buy a couple of brackets from B&Q.

Just a thought..

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thanks for that we will be skip looking until we find one but bed shops are a good idea, not worried if its metal as original or wooden as long as it works, brackets wont be a problem, thanks lynne:thumb:

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
Hi Bubble, I was in the same situation as yourself a few weeks ago, i'd been telling all my friends that I wanted one for about 2 years. About 6 weeks ago I said to myself get one or shut up about it. I had been looking so that day I went onto ebay and saw a 94 Fiat Ducato with bids up to £7500, there were 24 bids so far and I took this as an indication that bidders must know this van is ok. I sent my mechanic brother to look at it as I was at work, when he said it was ok I offered the guy £8000 cash and that was it, Bertie was mine.

I know the way I bought it was stupid but it was now or never for me, I was getting bored of myself going on about it so I know others must have felt the same. I just had my 1st real trip this weekend, Coventry to Ambleside and it was wonderful, everything worked perfectly.
So far I have found 2 problems, a broken toilet seat and a turbo that needs a bit of tlc, thats all.
I knew nothing about the type of van and when I kept getting told that the 1.9 engine was not powerfull enough for the van and I would struggle going up hills. Well with 3 adults in the van it went perfect, cruised along at 65 no problem and I think i'm in love with it already.

Good luck with yours and I hope you have as much fun as I had this weekend.
The only piece of advice I can give you is get a HPI check, for the money it's got to be worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back