X244. Does it have a Catalytic Converter? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Our 'Van (Hobby on an X244 Fiat front end) has just been through the MOT.

On telling me that it had passed, the examiner somewhat shot himself in the foot by saying words to the effect," Your 'van should have a Catalytic Converter but sometime, a long time ago someone fitted a complete Stainless steel system. It's had so many MOT's since then, it seemed churlish to fail it for not having a Cat."

What a refreshing attitude.
He went on to say that all 'vans from 51 Plate onwards should have a Cat.

Far be it for me to argue with him (and he's now guaranteed the MOT work for the lifetime of our ownership of the van) Is he right?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think he is wrong
I'm not exactly sure but I believe it is all vehicles originally manufactured with a cat regardless of year
A fiat dealer and the vin will reveal if yours was built with a cat

Mine has a dummy cat and passed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear, I do hope VOSA don't read this.
If it had one from the factory it has to have one now but that doesn't mean it has to have anything inside it.
As yet there is no requirement or procedure to check if its just the outer casing or a complete cat......but it will come eventually.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Not had it from new so can't speak for previous owner but I know it sailed through mot last week.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
No cat on our late 2005, although it has been fitted with a SS exhaust. No probes hanging around either...fairly sure that if it did have a cat the probes need to be "fooled" as they communicate with the ECU. Stand to be corrected though!

Just passed, last week, its MOT without any adverse comment too.

David

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just for info.
Rang Fiat Professional.
The man at the other end of the phone said that a 2005/6 X244 was fitted with a Cat and the cost of the Fiat one was, wait for it £1090 plus VAT..

Don't think I'll bother. Unless those very nice people at VOSA (or whatever they're called) are reading this:whistle:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I bought a spare genuine cat for mine from brownhills eBay for £80
If testing ever changes I have it in hand to stitch into my stainless exhaust but this is unlikely to happen IMHO
image.jpeg

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just for clarity exhaust Emissions and Cat converters are believe it or not, NOT related in connection with an MoT test

Emissions are a completely stand alone set of rules whereby, based on figures supplied by the powers that be your vehicle either passes or fails
Cat |Converters fall under the realms of Exhaust and NOT Emissions
Under Exhaust Rules
Your vesicle will fail if it is KNOWN to be equipped with one, and it has been removed or as in cases here a stainless system has been fitted without a cat
Note the bold word "KNOWN" Not suspected, not guest at, not an opinion, not an i think or believe it should have,
An Mot tester has two options open to him look up vehicle spec using whatever means are available to him inc checking with Manf using the chassis No to see if one was fitted its a simple call to the parts department
Or give any benefit of doubt to the vehicle presenter as has always been the case on any given test item
The regulations permit that coarse of action, PROVIDED
1. When challenged by the powers that be, a reasonable attempt was made to verify at the time of the test and what they were inc statements made by you
Mot testers make many many notes on your paperwork than you will ever see
In the event of a dispute or he said she said, notes made at the time of the test and or very shortly afterwards on official paperwork carry far more weight than what is ever remembered by either party days or weeks later it's why PLOD DOES IT TOO
or
2. Show why doubt existed

So a critical word was possibly missed from the OP,s. version of "words to the effect of".
if the tester said I "think" yours should have a cat, then that is NOT a reason for rejection, and a pass and advise should be given, as it seems to me it was, the tester certainly didn't put his foot in it and who knows what comments he wrote down about it
It's a far more complicated world than a simple pass or fail
If the OP's tester was wrong he may not be around long enough for any futurer MoTs the OP wants doing.
G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Don't think they were standard until the X250, but probably on the options list.
The 2.8D is listed with a straight down pipe as standard, but the 2.8TDi/HDi is listed with a Cat as standard. Why a JTD in the X244 wouldn't have a Cat fitted as standard, I don't know. Maybe it was to do with the more efficient electronic fuel injection?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back