Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have a 2001 Transit 350 and have noticed that the gearbox is making a noise when I decelerate, it is fine under pressure, hard to explain the noise, bit of a rumble.

Have one of you mechanical minded guys any pointers please. As I am on tour, do I need to worry big time, or is it likely to wine for a while but he ok?

Thanks for any (informative) suggestions :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Are you sure it's the 'box? A, presumably low pitched, rumble sounds more like propshaft UJs or centre bearing (if it has one).

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Is the oil low that might be worth looking at
but like previous poster it could be propshaft or CV joint dose it rumbil on sharp right or left turn
Bill

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Thanks for all your replies, having read them I now think it is the prop shaft, so I had better find a garage. Not sure how much I would expect to pay for the joints to be replaced but knowing my luck........it won't be cheap.:)

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Ok, I have had a look underneath and there is hardly any movement when I try to twist the prop or any up and down movement. When I look at the 2 rubber bearings that hold the prop a third and 2 thirds along the prop, they seem to have some up and down movement.

When I try to twist the prop with my hands it will only turn less than half an inch.

Can somebody help anymore on the above information?

I will mention that when I take it out of gear the rumbling is less but still a rumble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Carrier baring or rubber baring dry or universal joint
Spray each baring with spray grease one at a time if it is one of the carrier bearing I would have both changed is their plenty of oil in the diff se90 gear oil or se80 gear oil
Bill

Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
if it’s on the overrun and you can’t find anything else then a bearing in the gearbox (backlash) is likely to be the problem. Check the oil a change won’t hurt look at the old oil for 'bits' fill with new oil and additive may be a good idea. I f that doesn’t work then its let it develop or strip down/replace doing the clutch at the same time.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have sprayed the joints with silicone lubricant as it said it was ok with rubber, is that ok or should it be ordinary grease?

I will move the MH tomorrow and see if it is any better.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have sprayed the joints with silicone lubricant as it said it was ok with rubber, is that ok or should it be ordinary grease?

I will move the MH tomorrow and see if it is any better.
Unless you dismantle the UJ spiders you won't get any grease in them.....Unless of course they have grease nipples fitted.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Any of the lubricants might help & you won't do any damage. I'd be inclined to find a garage & let them diagnose it for you. Hopefully its a universal joint on the propshaft, these are usually quite inexpensive & don't take too long to fit.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
If its only on overrun it may be diff whine especially when hot , having said that after many years of running various transits you expect them to make many and varied noises but keep going indefinitely.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
its often going to be the dif on a transit

Well done @mitzimad go to the top of the class. I took the MH into a garage, they checked the diff oil - it was good - but noticed fillings on the plug, they said the the diff was the trouble. They said it should be ok for many miles and not to worry to much at the moment, I will of course need to get it done.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, we found it in the end.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I sent you a pm the other day put sume of the additive I recommended in it and be amazed what it dose
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I sent you a pm the other day put sume of the additive I recommended in it and be amazed what it dose
Bill
Quoiting my own post hear put sume coper slip in the diff will help it Cote's the gering ian helps to reduce the noises
It dose work mix it with sume gear oil I put t full tin in a diffaranchal think it is still running
I only drive vehicle with issues so know how to bogie them to get bye withe them
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back