Fiat Ducato power loss up hill. (1 Viewer)

Effilita

Free Member
Jul 16, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T-Line 740
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, I have a Roller Team motor home on a 2014 FIAT Ducato chassis. It has developed a fault whereby when turning on the ignition the warning "check engine" comes on and also the engine block hazard light. The vehicle drives perfectly on the level but substancially loses power when going uphill, hills I used to easily navigate in 4th gear now require me to be in 2nd gear. The vehicle was services by a Fiat garage a few weeks prior this problem arising. I am currently in the Scottish Northern Isles where there are no Fiat agencies so professional help is limited. Any ideas please.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi and welcome to the site, straight to the point eh? Very well then, your engine for whatever reason has gone into limp mode, it's a get you home/garage setting.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And it goes into 'limp' mode to prevent further damage.
Any half decent garage, not just fiat, will be able to connect an OBD11 reader and diagnose the fault and possibly clear it to resume normal use.
Many faults are a one off, just a sensor glitch, and may never come back once cleared.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I will need to be connected to a diagnostic unit to find the problem or you are just guessing.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Or, you could try the 'disconnect battery for five then re-connect and try again'. That sometimes cures it. (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Could be a number of things, but as pappajohn says, it needs to be connected to a diagnostic reader of some sort (I've got my own, they're not expensive). Given the age of the vehicle it is most likely a temporary glitch and if so the diagnostic unit can clear it and you're away. This is the problem with modern electronically controlled engines, but heigh ho, that's progress for you.

Tootles posted as I was writing. Sometimes switching engine off, wait a few seconds then restart. Do this five times and it may clear itself - if not you'll need the diagnostics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back